Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

56 minutes ago, TRon said:

Very gratifying that he's won both head to head battles with his rivals for the job of NUFC manager. Lampard and now Gerrard put in their place, no doubt about it, we made the right choice.

Their players are in for a rough one as neither are going to get any criticism anytime soon.

We’d have gone from one pundit darling to another if either of them had come in.

Got to say Howe looks the perfect appointment at the moment.

Another thing, I remember people saying when we appointed Howe that he was someone the previous regime would have appointed and did consider as a replacement for Bruce.

I genuinely don’t think he would have came here under Ashley. He has been on record saying he has turned down various clubs as he wanted the right opportunity. 

1 hour ago, Danh1 said:

Another thing, I remember people saying when we appointed Howe that he was someone the previous regime would have appointed and did consider as a replacement for Bruce.

I genuinely don’t think he would have came here under Ashley. He has been on record saying he has turned down various clubs as he wanted the right opportunity. 

100% this. He turned down jobs and was quite clear in coming here that his backroom staff came with him. He is a man of integrity and principals with his own football ideas, visions and beliefs - he would not have touched Ashleys poisonous regime.

1 hour ago, Danh1 said:

I remember Howes' first two games and someone on here wanted rid of him.  All I said was "give your head a shake".  I don't think he's shown up since.

Hindsight and all that, but I'm glad he didn't start Bruno. The disruptions to our defence, and losing our talisman and leader, could have spelled disaster without the work rate and determination of the middle 3. Bruno is likely a better player than all of them and I've no doubt he could have handled it, personally. But for the team as a whole I think having that settled midfield was vital.

I'd be itching to start him against West Ham, but don't want anybody dropped. 

I reckon it's going to be the same until we're safe or doomed - he'll be pretty much universally admired except in the last half hour of a nervy game when a significant proportion will revert to NEED TO CHANGE THIS OR IT'S ON HIM WHEN WE CONCEDE

20 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

Every time they cut to Gerrard he had this look on his face like he knew it just wasn't going to be his day.

Gerard is a manager, Howe is a coach and a manager, that’s what separates them. Howe will succeed regardless of his backroom team in the way Rafa has and did. Once Fergie realised the game was changing, him being a great manager, but not a great coach, he surrounded himself with top coaches and signed players in the main who benefitted from his style of man management and his team’s coaching in conjunction with one another. 

8 hours ago, GWN said:

Hope all the doubters on here can come back and say they were wrong mind 

Has there been many doubters and the season hasn’t finished yet, we could still go down. He’s doing a good job right now, better than I expected and I’ve always rated him, but there is and always will be question marks. Right now he’s answering all and any, and so are the players. Long may it continue!

8 hours ago, GWN said:

I will,

I almost went full blown bring Rafa back after Watford but just about held it back. Not really to do with Eddie, more the pull of Rafa.

There is no doubt that to the naked eye we have had a slow start under Howe and have dropped some winnable points (Brentford, Norwich, Watford) but when you look back on the improvements and where we are today you can see the hard work that has gone on behind the scenes that was needed to flush away the turd of Bruce and there is now nothing between the performances of the managers who came in at the same time (Gerrard, Smith) and I would expect by the end of the season the stats will show that we got the right man

18 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

I will,

I almost went full blown bring Rafa back after Watford but just about held it back. Not really to do with Eddie, more the pull of Rafa.

There is no doubt that to the naked eye we have had a slow start under Howe and have dropped some winnable points (Brentford, Norwich, Watford) but when you look back on the improvements and where we are today you can see the hard work that has gone on behind the scenes that was needed to flush away the turd of Bruce and there is now nothing between the performances of the managers who came in at the same time (Gerrard, Smith) and I would expect by the end of the season the stats will show that we got the right man

To my naked eye there have been noticeable, incremental improvements from the day he started.

On 14/02/2022 at 05:16, GWN said:

I doubted him and I don’t think it was particularly knee-jerk after our results and performances from his first 10 games.

There has been a vast improvement from the 4-0 defeat by Man City. Since then we’ve played well and got results.

I actually think we’re playing slightly different now to how we were in the first 10. We’re much more reserved, not fucking about with the ball too much and looking to move it forward faster/playing on the counter, which is absolutely the right thing to do for this team.

I’m surprised he changed it, but that’s a good sign that he’s noticed what he was doing before wasn’t working.

I still have some question marks around him in terms of whether he’ll be able to scale up and take us forward long term, but right now he’s doing a good job and I’m pleased for him.

I’d love him to be with us for years and take us forward because he’s quite likeable.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

49 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I doubted him and I don’t think it was particularly knee-jerk after our results and performances from his first 10 games.

There has been a vast improvement from the 4-0 defeat by Man City. Since then we’ve played well and got results.

I actually think we’re playing slightly different now to how we were in the first 10. We’re much more reserved, not fucking about with the ball too much and looking to move it forward faster/playing on the counter, which is absolutely the right thing to do for this team.

I’m surprised he changed it, but that’s a good sign that he’s noticed what he was doing before wasn’t working.

I still have some question marks around him in terms of whether he’ll be able to scale up and take us forward long term, but right now he’s doing a good job and I’m pleased for him.

I’d love him to be with us for years and take us forward because he’s quite likeable.

He’s organic, he’ll grow, learn and evolve as the team does. :indi:

21 hours ago, HTT II said:

Has there been many doubters and the season hasn’t finished yet, we could still go down. He’s doing a good job right now, better than I expected and I’ve always rated him, but there is and always will be question marks. Right now he’s answering all and any, and so are the players. Long may it continue!

A canny few were calling him a bottler for not starting with Bruno vs Everton.

Had a deeks on a Bournemouth forum to see what they were saying about Wor Eddie.

”The good thing about Ed is that he is also a man with a plan.

He's not a short term fix merchant. The more time he has there, the stronger they will be in the years to come and there aren't too many managers out there of whom you could say the same. If he keeps them up they should go from strength to strength, at least for a few years until the next major blip comes along - like it did here when the players lost interest and he was powerless to turn things around ! That could still happen there but I think he will build a decent squad for the next couple of years, given the chance.

Chuffed for him, hope he keeps them up now.”

Definitely fits in with his short time here. Yeah we didn’t get a “new manager bounce” but he has put a plan in place and it’s now showing signs of working. 

Re the players getting losing interest, a couple of them are mentioning how that was more down to the ceiling Bournemouth have, which isn’t the case here. I reckon his stint out of the game will have helped him too, as we have seen so far here he seems happy enough to learn from his mistakes and make changes. 

Really excited about our future under Howe, we just need to stay up. 

I feel the "first 10 games" stuff is a bit short sighted as it's only looking at the results. We've been playing better since his first match in control, he's phased out the regulars that weren't performing while giving them a chance. If we won against Brentford and Norwich, which we should have and it's hard to blame Howe for those results, it would have looked a lot better and we'd currently be on 25 points sitting 14th in the table. We also played Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd and Man City in that spell.