Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just my opinion, I've seen positives in all our Howe games bar two. The first was Leicester. They got a free headstart with that pen off the Madison dive (albeit with some dicking about beforeheand by us), but we capitulated second half and gifted them goals with pretty bad errors. The other was Watford, where we threw away two points with that annoying goal. The cross should have been stopped but once it came in, Trippier failed to block his man and he got a clear run at it above Lascelles, who initially looked at fault but was probably taken out by his own man. If you check the Relegationometer thread, there will have been lots of bumps around that Watford game. We just looked incapable of winning. It took the Leeds game to get that monkey off our back.

Every other game has been great, with our midfielders completely transformed and us now racking up wins without Callum Wilson, which would have been unthinkable. The signings we've made look like they've been very astute, and I think we'll only get better.

4 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Just my opinion, I've seen positives in all our Howe games bar two. The first was Leicester. They got a free headstart with that pen off the Madison dive (albeit with some dicking about beforeheand by us), but we capitulated second half and gifted them goals with pretty bad errors. The other was Watford, where we threw away two points with that annoying goal. The cross should have been stopped but once it came in, Trippier failed to block his man and he got a clear run at it above Lascelles, who initially looked at fault but was probably taken out by his own man. If you check the Relegationometer thread, there will have been lots of bumps around that Watford game. We just looked incapable of winning. It took the Leeds game to get that monkey off our back.

Every other game has been great, with our midfielders completely transformed and us now racking up wins without Callum Wilson, which would have been unthinkable. The signings we've made look like they've been very astute, and I think we'll only get better.

Think the Watford game, whilst frustrating was also down to the mindset of some of the players who immediately and against Howe’s wish went into “protective mode” which ultimately cost us. 

Thankfully we didn’t see that against Everton or Leeds and we weren’t really threatened. Villa to an extent we did, but think the changes forced upon us killed us tbh. Even then though, we defended well and managed the game well. 

21 minutes ago, Menace said:

Absolutely no complaints from me after 3 back to back wins. Is he the man to make us a top 10/top 7 team though? Time will tell.

Yes he can take us top 7. It's after that the questions will start.

I was openly doubtful of Howe up until the last three games and delighted he's turned it around. We don't know how much an input he had into the transfers, we do know he played a part, but Howe and others should be congratulated as we had a very good window in terms of the quality and character of the players we recruited.  The likely partnership of Howe and Ashworth also bodes well as I think they will work together very well.

3 hours ago, Danh1 said:

Had a deeks on a Bournemouth forum to see what they were saying about Wor Eddie.

”The good thing about Ed is that he is also a man with a plan.

He's not a short term fix merchant. The more time he has there, the stronger they will be in the years to come and there aren't too many managers out there of whom you could say the same. If he keeps them up they should go from strength to strength, at least for a few years until the next major blip comes along - like it did here when the players lost interest and he was powerless to turn things around ! That could still happen there but I think he will build a decent squad for the next couple of years, given the chance.

Chuffed for him, hope he keeps them up now.”

Definitely fits in with his short time here. Yeah we didn’t get a “new manager bounce” but he has put a plan in place and it’s now showing signs of working. 

Re the players getting losing interest, a couple of them are mentioning how that was more down to the ceiling Bournemouth have, which isn’t the case here. I reckon his stint out of the game will have helped him too, as we have seen so far here he seems happy enough to learn from his mistakes and make changes. 

Really excited about our future under Howe, we just need to stay up. 

Good read, while most Bournemouth fans will be biased towards Howe because of the amazing job he did there, I’ve always said the best way to find out about a player or manager is by gauging the opinions of those that watch their team week in week out. I think Howe will ultimately hit a ceiling here (hopefully a high one), but before that I do think he will have us challenging for a European place and maybe even in the cups, while playing attractive football, in charge of a group of hard working, spirited players with character and professionalism and under a club he will have helped structure to be most modern in every area on and off the pitch. 

30 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Good read, while most Bournemouth fans will be biased towards Howe because of the amazing job he did there, I’ve always said the best way to find out about a player or manager is by gauging the opinions of those that watch their team week in week out. I think Howe will ultimately hit a ceiling here (hopefully a high one), but before that I do think he will have us challenging for a European place and maybe even in the cups, while playing attractive football, in charge of a group of hard working, spirited players with character and professionalism and under a club he will have helped structure to be most modern in every area on and off the pitch. 

They’re not as biased towards him as you’d think. A lot of them want him to fail here. :lol:

Completely agree though - WBA fans should listen to us re Bruce 

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

They’re not as biased towards him as you’d think. A lot of them want him to fail here. :lol:

Completely agree though - WBA fans should listen to us re Bruce 

Wow why do they want him to fail? 

Just now, HTT II said:

Wow why do they want him to fail? 

Not sure tbh - possibly because of the Saudis if I had to guess, only read a few pages of their 72 page thread about our takeover 

For balance, a couple say they could see Howe becoming a “football legend” here 

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

Not sure tbh - possibly because of the Saudis if I had to guess, only read a few pages of their 72 page thread about our takeover 

For balance, a couple say they could see Howe becoming a “football legend” here 

Ah that would be understandable, but still, me, I’d be rooting for HIM if not NUFC and I hope so, if he keeps us up, he will be a hero just based on that given the mess we were in, still are and the start of the season we had, plus the 14 years of sheer neglect.

Edited by HTT II

On 15/02/2022 at 08:38, Mahoneys Tache said:

People have short memories. Keegan’s first season at the bottom of the second division was nervy as fuck. 

Wasn't like he had a full season mind, he didn't come till February.

In regards to Howe being the right guy in the future, I think a reason to be excited (or more anxious if that's your mindset) is that this is a first for him. No disrespect meant to Bournemouth or Burnley but we are the biggest club he's managed and he's never had this kind of money to work with before. At Bournemouth there was always a ceiling given the size of that club and they were never going to be PL mainstays as a result, so his achievements there is even more elevated in my view. It's going to be down to his team building and his coaching ability to take us into what he wants us to be which coincides with a rise in the table which is a brilliant challenge for us as fans and for him as a manager.

I've already been impressed with the business he's done in January. I know Wood will have an asterisk for many but all signings improve us and I never thought we'd get a player like Bruno when we were sat in 18th or whatever it was. What also bodes well is after the signing of Bruno, Howe said that he's improved his knowledge of European markets, football and players as he's gotten further in his career which should also be a good sign. In his last season at Bournemouth he brought in Danjuma and Diego Rico, the former of whom is playing Champions League football rn. Jefferson Lerma before that. Ties in with his coaching trips to Spain before getting the job here and also I think the chases of Diego Carlos and Botman were partly Howe too. All good signings that bode well for the future.

He has my full backing and I can't wait to see what he can do with us once/should we stay up.

I hope All the paper talk of Mourinho taking over in the summer.

Is just the scribes letting there imagination run away with them.

Howe is a great coach and manager.

Mourinho is neither with zero man management skills,

Let him rot away in Roma.

There's nothing better than having a really likeable manager - we had that in Keegan, SBR, CH, Rafa, and now Howe. You want to root for good people and I've said this a million times but the amount of hours Howe dedictes to the job couplde with the way he was shot down by the media after the Bournemouth relegation, you can't help but root for him in his comback story. He embodies many normal human beings who dedicate themselves to a craft and give it their all. 

I hope he goes on to have a very very long career here - keeping us up, and kicking on. 

38 minutes ago, prefabtoon said:

I hope All the paper talk of Mourinho taking over in the summer.

Is just the scribes letting there imagination run away with them.

Howe is a great coach and manager.

Mourinho is neither with zero man management skills,

Let him rot away in Roma.

Canny poem, this. 

Having took a keen interest in Bournemouth before they came up, the way he identifies and improves players is excellent. He’s not afraid to take risks, he turned league 1/2 players into very good premier league and top championship players. He manages to get players to buy into his ethos. 

As someone said above near his Bournemouth end he started to bring in European players but he gets also the help he needs he brought in a multi language speaking first team coach to help with those players. He will most likely dedicate his life to the job and put 110% into it. He gets players with the right characters hence why he did so well but he’ll be a massive part of recruitment with his staff. 

Even his coaches he brings with him for example near the end of his Bournemouth tenure when he was slaughtered for signing Solanke as he didn’t have a good start to his career there but he improved him massively as a player. But Tindall his assistant got a real tune out of him when he took over and he’s now arguably one of the best players in the league now. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him turn up here but I’d like better. Another top coach he has is Purches who is supposed to be the one who does the behind the scenes work with all the top qualifications. 

Howe is a cracking guy and still pretty young and I really do see him being a force for this football club and declaring himself as a top manager this may well backfire, but he knows what’s required but he knows the game well, and a class coach and man manager. On his time off as said above too he went to other countries and top teams to study them and expand his own knowledge. I hope he is the man to take us to the top, don’t need fancy or big name managers do it with one of our own.

What I have noticed is a lot of '(insert opposition) were crap against Newcastle'. It's a bit of a disservice to Howe.

It isn't a coincidence our last three opponents have looked ordinary. We've pushed up the pitch and shut down space between the lines, maintaining a solid shape. We're aggressive in the press and the players work tirelessly to close down space and retrieve possession.

This has meant that while our limited ability has resulted in disjointed attacking performances, we're almost always difficult to beat.

Howe said the number one thing he's worked on since he arrived at the club is what we do when we don't have the ball and its really starting to pay dividends. I'm more than happy for this to continue under the radar.

I like him.

Right now he falls into the same basket as Hughton and Rafa for me. He seems like a nice guy that puts a lot of hard work in to give the team the best chance of a win on a weekend. He seems to have ridden the choppy early start and now we appear well drilled and organised which is also nice. 

Off the pitch he seems a respectable and respectful guy that appreciates the fans and the area.

A chap from Bournemouth who does Football Manager videos but is a big real life football fan said "You guys are going to love Eddie Howe"  when he was appointed and he proved to be correct. Eddie seems like a real pro and results are unmistakable.

Quite surprised to see the Mourinho links today. Hoping it’s just his agent and the media making shit up, but if there is even an iota of truth to this, we need to start getting mindful of the ownership. But I do not see Staveley & Reuben to be the type. 

If Eddie keeps us up, we need to back him for the long term. 

5 hours ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Yeah. But it wasn’t some joyous swaggering romp up the table. It was touch and go til the end. 

Went from 22nd and 3 wins in 4 months and 1 win in 13 to winning 7 in less than three months, winning 5 of our next 9

From when Keegan arrived we had the same record as Leeds who won the league.

Better record than Blackburn under Dalglish with a blank cheque book who finished 6th, Cambridge 5th and better than Manchester United's who were runners up.

Was pretty similar to Rafa coming in for me. the nerves and All that was going to stop either one of them keeping us up was running out of games.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Where have these links to Mourinho come from? Love these wild links people seem to shove our way just because we have money now :lol: 

Don't know about you guys but I can't see the owners appointing someone like Dan Ashworth as DOF and then think Jose is a good match :lol: 

39 minutes ago, 54 said:

Where have these links to Mourinho come from? Love these wild links people seem to shove our way just because we have money now :lol: 

Don't know about you guys but I can't see the owners appointing someone like Dan Ashworth as DOF and then think Jose is a good match :lol: 

Yeah where’s the link for this? I’ve seen nothing.