Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 hour ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Fantastic performance down to 10. It's an annoying result but the fact I've been able to genuinely enjoy a game we were 2 goals and a man down after 20 minutes or so is a testament to how much I want to suck this man's cock.

Aye, I was confident that if we got one before 85 minutes we'd get a draw even with 10 men. My main annoyance was with Wilson with his shit attempt at a finish meaning that it wasn't going to happen.

Went bold with the 4-3-2 with ten men, but with the pace of ASM and Isak obviously had opportunities even with 10. Not long ago when we would shame ourselves in a scenario like that. 

Definitely didn't this time and its testament to this man's tactical nous and respect amongst the players.

Just now, Krabbe2 said:

Seems like Eddie won't budge from the formation. Had perhaps hoped to see some changes considering the lack of Willock and Bruno. Wilson and Isak in a duo at the top to give a little more firepower. 

I'd like to see that combo too.

In the pre match press conference, Howe specifically talked about not being married to this formation, in fairness to him. But I think he's conservative and up to now has taken the view that it's brought us so many successes that it shouldn't be thrown away hastily.

But we're in an interesting spot now as I think you could say we've hit that reboot point, but remodeling in our next match involves experimenting in our biggest single game for perhaps 20 years.

That would be a big call from a big manager. I'm not gonna pretend I know exactly what he should do in the next week, though personally I'd have started mild experimentation and rotation a few games ago.

57 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

He went for it but it didn't pay off. In hindsight, we should've looked to control the game more after the first went in as they love open periods of play- hopefully, it's something he learns from.

In a game we didn't want to lose, he probably should have been a bit more conservative tbh, and that was borne out in the second half when we played really effectively on the counter with only 10 men. But what the fuck, he hasn't got much wrong, he can point to the table as testament to that.

I’m struggling to understand the reality of our tactics atm. 

We can all see that even the likes of Bournemouth can play around or over our high press. When they do it’s one ball that takes out most of our midfield. We’re then playing a high line with no real pace at the back and we’re not even getting consistent pressure on the ball. So our very one paced defence is exposed a bit too often. Against better players that’s gonna hurt. 

It will probably be worse against Manu unless we make some clear adjustments.

We might well be working it differently in training but that’s the reality of what’s happening and has been for a few weeks. 

Guest reefatoon
3 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Our terrible form in front of goal aside I’d only question him on not playing Gordon from the start. Absolutely baffling.

All I can think of regarding Gordon not starting is that he won’t be available for the Final, so he is trying to play players that will be available for him. Trying to keep it settled. As soon as the final is over Gordon will be starting.

40 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

All I can think of regarding Gordon not starting is that he won’t be available for the Final, so he is trying to play players that will be available for him. Trying to keep it settled. As soon as the final is over Gordon will be starting.

It wasn’t settled though. Bruno was missing so you surely put him where Anderson played. 

I find it hard to be critical of Howe but I think we’re become incredibly predictable in the final third. Gordon at least has the ability to make something happen.

7 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

It wasn’t settled though. Bruno was missing so you surely put him where Anderson played. 

I find it hard to be critical of Howe but I think we’re become incredibly predictable in the final third. Gordon at least has the ability to make something happen.

I think that’s fair. But I also think he is bringing Gordon in slowly. He will be starting after the final, I reckon. 

I know it is rare to have pretty much all of your squad fit and available. But with Targett coming back, Bruno and hopefully Willock soon. We might suddenly have some genuine options and competition for a few positions. 

I think if we then persisted with the same personnel all the while and with no real tweaks to the formation or system. Then there would be something to be a bit more critical about. 

8 hours ago, reefatoon said:

Was just about to post this, I think it’s the case. He’ll be starting soon after the final.

It's a thing of Howe's, isn't it?

We could buy a fully fit peak Ronaldo with only Chris Wood as competititon, and he'd use R9 off the bench for the first 8 games.

He's done it with Bruno, Isak and now Gordon - all who should have been starting nigh on immediately.

Not a big knock, just the way he does things.

12 minutes ago, Beren said:

It's a thing of Howe's, isn't it?

We could buy a fully fit peak Ronaldo with only Chris Wood as competititon, and he'd use R9 off the bench for the first 8 games.

He's done it with Bruno, Isak and now Gordon - all who should have been starting nigh on immediately.

Not a big knock, just the way he does things.

He tried it with Botman and he kicked off.

I’ll preface this by, again stating I’m incredibly happy EH is our manager. Love the bloke.

However……I am very curious to see how he faces and adapts to challenges we have coming for the rest of this season and the next.

Our plan A is faltering. It’s clearly a trend, I think there were signs of it against Leicester (despite the victory). What’s wonderful is that we have a plan A. Even a plan A is a massive improvement over Bruce. We have had a clear tactical plan that had been effective.

I have always been a suspicious of teams whose route to victory involves running harder than the opposition. Simply because it’s a limited way to improve. It has a ceiling. Ours hasn’t been solely down to that but it’s been a highly contributing factor.

I’ll be curious to see if we persist with it, the high intensity plan. It hasn’t got much of a future coupled with Eddie’s tendency to not rotate. Of course, with a better squad, rotation may be something that Eddie finds more palatable.

It’s that or a change of style. If we get European football next season our form fall off will happen quicker.

EH has shown he can see our problems previously and then formulated an ideology to get us going forward. So he has a history of solving Newcastle’s issues. So, obviously I trust him to to it again. 

21 minutes ago, Lotus said:

I’ll preface this by, again stating I’m incredibly happy EH is our manager. Love the bloke.

However……I am very curious to see how he faces and adapts to challenges we have coming for the rest of this season and the next.

Our plan A is faltering. It’s clearly a trend, I think there were signs of it against Leicester (despite the victory). What’s wonderful is that we have a plan A. Even a plan A is a massive improvement over Bruce. We have had a clear tactical plan that had been effective.

I have always been a suspicious of teams whose route to victory involves running harder than the opposition. Simply because it’s a limited way to improve. It has a ceiling. Ours hasn’t been solely down to that but it’s been a highly contributing factor.

I’ll be curious to see if we persist with it, the high intensity plan. It hasn’t got much of a future coupled with Eddie’s tendency to not rotate. Of course, with a better squad, rotation may be something that Eddie finds more palatable.

It’s that or a change of style. If we get European football next season our form fall off will happen quicker.

EH has shown he can see our problems previously and then formulated an ideology to get us going forward. So he has a history of solving Newcastle’s issues. So, obviously I trust him to to it again. 

Good post.

Further to this, I'm expecting our first campaign in Europe to involve us getting possibly a few humpings against good standard opposition. Which is one reason why I'm hoping to get Europe sooner rather than later, to get it over with. It'll be a valuable education process for Eddie and the club. And I trust him to gain from that education.

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

I’d like to see these tactics with a proper squad. I think a fall off was always inevitable with our lack of options and quality. Too much of the team picks itself. I’d like to see what he would do with Burn if he had legitimate alternatives. 

At the start of this season I thought this squads ceiling is 7/8

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Btw unless we invest in some numbers in the summer. We may be on to a Pardew like 16th season next year. 

Nah, come on. There are oceans between Howe and Pardew that mean that won’t happen.

1 minute ago, Smal said:

Nah, come on. There are oceans between Howe and Pardew that mean that won’t happen.

There'll need to be some changes as there is with any functional team, but yeah, absolutely no way.

We have really solid foundations. One testimony to us is that while it's easy to obtain and then piss away a spawny goal scoring record, having the best defence, and some of the best overall metrics, in the league is not built on luck.