Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

Yup. Same. But still doesn’t stop me from waking up and convincing myself I’ve said something that’s crossed the line to someone!

Na, I'm good with it all, just tired and dehydrated.

Maybe I say thise things when sober so.   .....

Hangxiety is the bit about drinking sessions I hate the most. Necking a couple pints of water before bed eases the headache but the anxiety when you can't remember anything is hideous. Immediately fly through my bank account and messages to see if I can get an inkling to what the hell happened and if I admitted something too far or upset anyone. :lol:

6 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Hangxiety is the bit about drinking sessions I hate the most. Necking a couple pints of water before bed eases the headache but the anxiety when you can't remember anything is hideous. Immediately fly through my bank account and messages to see if I can get an inkling to what the hell happened and if I admitted something too far or upset anyone. :lol:

Bloody hell are you not up all night pissing?

23 minutes ago, madras said:

Another "Really " ?

It’s ruined drinking for me to the point I only ever go big on really special occasions. I’m basically a lost cause until about three days after.

There was a point about five or six years ago when I stopped getting all the physical symptoms of a hangover and just started to feel deeply depressed instead. Really weird. Assume it’s an age thing.

3 minutes ago, christ said:

It’s ruined drinking for me to the point I only ever go big on really special occasions. I’m basically a lost cause until about three days after.

There was a point about five or six years ago when I stopped getting all the physical symptoms of a hangover and just started to feel deeply depressed instead. Really weird. Assume it’s an age thing.

Bloody hell, I'm in my 50s and this is all new to me.

Has anyone got any stats on how far players actually run during a week?

I know we get the distance covered in games played and some players cover what must be a half marathon or thereabouts. But what about distance covered in training or in the gym? Warm ups and warm downs? Over the course of a week, how much would this all add up to? A full marathon? More?

Also, theres the mental strain of concentration and pressure, especially during matches. And the traveling - we have some big lads in our squad. Are they comfortable when traveling? And then to add to all of the above, your manager asks you to press the opponent relentlessly.

Is it any wonder theyre knackered?

8 hours ago, Lazarus said:

Has anyone got any stats on how far players actually run during a week?

I know we get the distance covered in games played and some players cover what must be a half marathon or thereabouts. But what about distance covered in training or in the gym? Warm ups and warm downs? Over the course of a week, how much would this all add up to? A full marathon? More?

Also, theres the mental strain of concentration and pressure, especially during matches. And the traveling - we have some big lads in our squad. Are they comfortable when traveling? And then to add to all of the above, your manager asks you to press the opponent relentlessly.

Is it any wonder theyre knackered?

It would be interesting to know how much they run but from what Howe said recently in an interview where asked about managing training load he said they kept things pretty low key intensity wise between games. So you’d imagine easy paced running and focus on tactics and drills rather than volume and intensity. Obviously players coming back from injury might do a bit more volume. 

8 hours ago, midds said:

How much are people drinking if the hangover lasts 2 or 3 days? :lol:

This is a wild and enlightening couple of pages tbph

This is all some elaborately made up ruse, surely?

Hangxiety? Completely made up. 

The planting of a MEN article to sell it was a nice touch. Real dedication to the bit. 

10 hours ago, midds said:

It’s not a hangover, it’s an alcohol-induced mental breakdown.

Quite shocked that this is apparently news to some people. I though it was pretty common.

13 hours ago, Elliottman said:

Based on…..

Based on our injury list.

Getting players back to early after injuries , recently Murphy. My first thought when he was subbed on was that it was to early for him to be brought back after a dislocated shoulder..

Hamstring injuries. Looked like Schar was feeling his hamstring and played on which is a massive gamble when it comes to hamstring injuriees.

Our squad rotation has not been rotated enough imo, ie Trippier has played to many games and looked exhausted against Bournmouth, we do have Tino who can fill his space. I guess Howe is talking with our physioteam on a daily basis to check on who is fit enough to play and that they have a say in it aswell. When players are exhausted injuries tend to happend more often..

Thats some of the reasons i question our physioteam at the moment.

11 hours ago, midds said:

when I used to drink spirits along with larger, it did have that impact, but I’d rarely drink, so your system just isn’t used to it and it would knacker me for at least 2-3 days. 

Don't touch spirits now and rarely even larger. Maybe a bottle of jam shed or barefoot jammy red every two to three weeks if that. 

I cant be arsed with any criticism of Howe like. His hands were tied for Bournemouth. The players too.  

I thought Joelinton, Willock, Longstaff and the likes were all poor against Bournemouth, but its obvious why. They're not world class players who you can drop into any team and they'll show their quality. They look brilliant for us as part of our system. When we're unable to implement that system due to an a ridiculous amount of injuries, fatigue and fixture congestion, these players aren't going to be at their best. Whilst How has improved these players, they look way better for the most part because of the system. 

We have three players you could drop into any team they'd slot straight in; Isak, Bruno and Trippier (maybe Botman too). 

I shocked that people are shocked at the idea of hangxiety. :lol: 

My memory very regularly goes walkabouts when I'm pissed these days so I suffer from it immensely. Add the fear of 'what the fuck did I do/say yesterday' to my natural everyday feeling that everyone thinks I'm a twat anyway and it's a recipe for disaster.

I try to avoid more than a few pints where possible these days as a result and even then I'm filled with angst in the morning.

EDIT: Proper love Eddie me.

Edited by wormy

Our central midfield options apart from Bruno all lack the ability to put their foot on the ball. Miley looks the best of the others in that area but obviously a massive ask for a 17 year old to do that in their first league start. It will be interesting to see if Eddie looks at the option of playing both Bruno & Miley at some point.

59 minutes ago, Begbie said:

Our squad rotation has not been rotated enough imo, ie Trippier has played to many games and looked exhausted against Bournmouth, we do have Tino who can fill his space. I guess Howe is talking with our physioteam on a daily basis to check on who is fit enough to play and that they have a say in it aswell. When players are exhausted injuries tend to happend more often..

Thats some of the reasons i question our physioteam at the moment.

Questions are certainly fair. Always knew this season was going to be a big ask and, presumably, a learning process for Eddie as well as the players.

One of the big questions is whether we should, or even can, continue with our all action pressing approach for every single match. The advantage that certain other teams over us when taking this approach i.e. Liverpool is they have much greater quality in their depth - not only in terms of their B team, but their academy when shit really hits the fan as it has here. Being able to call up a player who A) is probably going to be Premier League quality eventually and B) has been schooled in your mentality since they were 8 is a big advantage over one who joined Mike Ashley's academy because he wasn't good enough for Sunderland and B) will probably finish his career at South Shields. Once we get ours up to speed, which will take years, that will help us be more adventurous.

25 minutes ago, 80 said:

Questions are certainly fair. Always knew this season was going to be a big ask and, presumably, a learning process for Eddie as well as the players.

One of the big questions is whether we should, or even can, continue with our all action pressing approach for every single match. The advantage that certain other teams over us when taking this approach i.e. Liverpool is they have much greater quality in their depth - not only in terms of their B team, but their academy when shit really hits the fan as it has here. Being able to call up a player who A) is probably going to be Premier League quality eventually and B) has been schooled in your mentality since they were 8 is a big advantage over one who joined Mike Ashley's academy because he wasn't good enough for Sunderland and B) will probably finish his career at South Shields. Once we get ours up to speed, which will take years, that will help us be more adventurous.

I mentioned this in the match thread, but one thing that I've noticed about Liverpool in the recent years is just how many games most of their key players have been able to play in all tournaments without getting burnt out or getting injured. Their key players (Fabinho, Hendo, Mane, Trent, Salah, van Dijk, Robertson etc) consistenly played around 3000 minutes per season in the league while also going deep in the cup and Champions League. Salah played more than 4200 minutes last season in all competitions for Liverpool, and he was still performing at a high level towards the end.

They had this one season where their 3 best central defenders were our injured at the same time, but other than that they just never really had this problem. If you look at their bench from 2-3 years back, it was nothing like the bench of Man City for example, so the didn't actually rotate that much. My point is, how can we have so much trouble with fatigue and injuries when Liverpool have been able to play all their key players in so many games for years, and they also had an intensive style? Added games matters, but we can't just blame it on the added games as if this was bound to happen. I wonder if it's just bad luck or if something else is at play. Probably a mix of bad luck and some other things.

Edited by Erikse