Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, Gallowgate Toon said:

Someone raised Klopp in this thread before but weren't Liverpool pretty shite the first half of last season while they had an injury crisis?

Yeah, they were awful by their standards until the last fourteen games or so. Then they went on a great run 

1 minute ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Someone raised Klopp in this thread before but weren't Liverpool pretty shite the first half of last season while they had an injury crisis?

I might be wrong on this but I think Man City have lost every match this season that Rodri has missed.

Edited by Kid Icarus

29 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

When he has had the opportunity he didn’t try it. The actual approach he has been trying, has not been working.  This is a fact. We’ve been unlucky with injuries. But we’ve deservedly lost the matches we have lost based on performance.  

As we get options back, I trust Howe to tinker his approach. He only tends to switch things up when he’s exhausted plan A and we are getting close to that point. 

I'd disagree. You bring the new players in, get them fit enough, used to the group etc, then start changing things like that.

In short he hasn't really had the opportunity to try it, when he had the personnel he'd have had to change the whole dymamic. Far better get the newbies up and running, then change the whole thing.

Edited by madras

He's the victim of his own success in many ways.

He coached us into a top four outfit for quicker than anyone expected, but because he's struggling to repeat that in the face of an unprecedented injury crisis, we're finding sticks to beat him with.

Just now, The Prophet said:

He coached us into a top four outfit for quicker than anyone expected, but because he's struggling to repeat that in the face of an unprecedented injury crisis, we're finding sticks to beat him with.

I'm not looking for any sticks but obviously some are.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Correct. Also, those 3 excellent performances post international break got too many people thinking we could keep on winning 2 games a week throughout December.

It's been a sobering few days for everyone definitely, it's also given an opportunity for the utter arseholes to start pointing their fingers and throwing their toys about too. The levels of entitlement from, a thankfully small, minority have well and truly been triggered. They've taken less than 2 years to get used to winning regularly and making fantastic progress on and off the field and the first pocket of genuine poor form and they're losing their shit. Honestly thought that given what we achieved last season that Howe was bullet-proof this season regardless of what happens but I've read over the last few days is remarkable. 

I'm not saying that questions shouldn't be asked and he's beyond any/all criticism but the context of what's happening off the park is just being ignored by some. He's not perfect and I've not always agreed with everything he's done but he's so far away from any fan-pressure it's untrue in my eyes. He will turn it around and we will pick up points in the next few weeks. Form comes and goes and one thing we saw time and time again is that a bad run of form is normally followed by a consistent flow of goals and wins, it'll happen again, chin up folks

My mind is honestly boggled by anyone even thinking about having a pop at Eddie - just because we've lost a handful of games this season while being hit by one of the worst volumes of injury to first team players I've seen for a long time, and that's before even thinking about the extra games/travelling from European football being added in. Absolutely insane levels of entitlement from people who's quickly forgotten where we've been for the last 15+ years! Hopefully it's just a daft vocal minority as with most things, just totally bonkers.

7 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

this cunt sacked yet 

Can’t be long. Both Pardew and Bruce managed us through worse injury problems during their time here without as much backlash from both fans and pundits

Perfectly reasonable to ask questions or even criticise managerial decisions.  Absolutely crackers for anyone to be wanting this man out - I haven’t seen that, tbf.

Howe is a first rate young manager who will (hopefully) grow with the club long-term.  He’s very, very unusual - an intelligent, ‘European’ style English manager.  They are rarer than hen’s teeth - I’d want to us to be losing at least five or six times the numbers of games in a row than we just have before more serious questions are asked.  If we lose the next eight to ten games in a row, then possibly escalation occurs. 

I'm expecting this to be a long and painful month. I'm not expecting to stop backing Howe. I can't think of anything he's done which is unjustifiable. Questionable, fine, but definitely not unjustifiable. I'm more impressed that we have as many points as we do from games like Man United and Arsenal.

Some of the biggest potential criticisms involve him not being enough of a defeatist and coward. Should we have thrown the Man City League Cup match and saved our energy? Maybe. Should we not educate our players to think every game can and should be won? Maybe. Should we lower our standards in training and give players, who might put in less than 100% every day, repeated opportunities to start in the first team? Maybe.

But if we made those tradeoffs, I don't think he'd then be the manager that took us, and players like Almiron, Longstaff and Schar, from whipping boys to the Champion's League.

The injury crisis gives him and the players a pass for this season if certain targets aren't met, let alone the credit in the bank he's already got. Even our top players that we've kept on the pitch are fucked.

The owners know what's going on, hence the tweets from Merhdad about getting behind the players. We've been dealt a fucking god awful hand, in terms of making things tough. Starting off with every draw we've had being the hardest possible, apart from the Mackems (Genuinely worried if we're anything like the current state, they have a much better chance if we're dead on our feet after 45). Toughest start to the league. Then Tonali. Then the injuries.

Howe doesn't need an excuse. He has a reason. Yet still smashing it in reality, think we will qualify for some form of Europe quite comfortably providng the injury problems do change.

All for discussions, just not irrelevant ones. Don't know why I've even added more pointless text.

8 hours ago, Rafalove said:

Love the fact he’s not coming out with excuses. 99% of managers would not behave the way Eddie is right now. Just look at Ten Haag, getting excuses  in early before our game. 

He 100% used excuses and said the exact same things Ten Hag did. Howe just said it with decorum because he's a good lad and isn't Dutch. 

25 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Eddie will sort it out, he always does.

Need to get behind him and the team with more support than ever over the next couple of weeks. We can't give the " we don't demand a team the wins, we demand a club that tries" line then not back it up when the going gets tough.

Certainly can't doubt that everyone connected to the club is trying to improve it these days.