Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Shouldn't even be up for debate , strongest possible lineup tomorrow and rest players against Luton if needed , this is a much more important game .

This, quater finals of a cup and now approaching 55 years without a trophy. Can't believe anyone would suggest otherwise.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

You can Gloss over(or ignore) the almost €500m spent on transfer fees in 3 windows if you like. 

Howe is incredible and the job he has done has been great.  None of it is possible without the takeover. That’s the before and after of the most significance. 

Steve Bruce was manager of a bigger Crystal Palace and that was probably above his ceiling. Howe is manager of Man City with a speedometer. It’s an entirely different proposition

I mean I fundamentally agree but you can still make a comparison, it's still a measure of something and we all know the context.

35 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Shouldn't even be up for debate , strongest possible lineup tomorrow and rest players against Luton if needed , this is a much more important game .

Very much up for debate.

Don't think we should risk missing a single point in the tightest race for CL in years.

56 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

It shouldn’t be up for debate because we should just put out the strongest XI for every match we play. Glad Eddie feels the same way. 

5 hours ago, WideopenMag said:

Close to full strength without Tino, Gordon and Bruno? Bruno has to play man.

Not necessarily tomorrow, but we have to find a way to rest Bruno. In terms of our season going off the rails, we ain't seen nothing yet if we were to lose him for any period of time.

1 hour ago, Thumbheed said:

Very much up for debate.

Don't think we should risk missing a single point in the tightest race for CL in years.

Winning a trophy would be a more important than finishing top four though, 55 years, not a single trophy. 

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

If we didn’t stay up - Howe would’ve been sacked and the decision makers would have considered themselves to blame. 

Relegation after spending so much money would’ve been a catastrophic failure. The decision makers, the manager, the signings - serious errors would have been made. Staying up wasn’t a miracle man.  Finishing midtable  however was a great achievement.  Not a miracle either. 

I agree, the biggest factor in our change in fortune was the takeover, without the it there's no overhaul, no Howe and no quality players.

That doesn't mean Howe didn't do an absolutely superb job turning around the fortunes of a squad that was deemed dead and buried by most. 

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

We spent more money than any club in Europe in that window. Getting relegated after spending €130m on a squad that finished midtable the year before would have been a catastrophic failure.

Again, you can ignore their contributions if you like but Bruno and Trippier scored at least 3 match winning goals iirc in that run. Trippier and Wood started Howe’s first win. And the fact we could sign 2 active Brazil and England internationals is an indication of the direction the club is going. 

Howe did a great job by having us midtable and basically playing at CL level output for almost half a season. But staying up was no miracle. 

They barely played much  before we were out of the relegation zone iirc. Trippier had the absolutely important goal, but keep in mind that we got him for pennies.

Fact is that he had us out of the relegation zone with only Dan Burn and Chris Wood being the new guys who played regularly. 

We were in such a bad state that relegation was expected by most on here even toward the end of January. I think people are starting to use a slight amount of revisionist history to underplay Howe’s achievement. 

35 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

Winning a trophy would be a more important than finishing top four though, 55 years, not a single trophy. 

We'll win them in the future.

We need to get the finances and prestige to get to that point though.

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

Not necessarily tomorrow, but we have to find a way to rest Bruno. In terms of our season going off the rails, we ain't seen nothing yet if we were to lose him for any period of time.

Cunt's got Christmas day off, right? He can wait for that break in January too.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

2 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

We'll win them in the future.

We need to get the finances and prestige to get to that point though.

I'm sure people said the same under Keegans reign and again under Robson perhaps. We don't need to get the finances or prestige at all 😂 we're literally a few games from a trophy, could have easily won a trophy last year.

28 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

Whilst winning stuff is everything, it's fairly easy to construct an argument that in our new position - one where, in the next decade, we could win it all -  this is not as correct as it was with Ashley (especially for the League Cup). The question is what would you sacrifice to increase the expected prob of winning the League or Champions League in the next decade? (Because qualification this year is a non-trivial delta). We didn't use to have this problem, but we do now. 

Just now, WideopenMag said:

I'm sure people said the same under Keegans reign and again under Robson perhaps. We don't need to get the finances or prestige at all 😂 we're literally a few games from a trophy, could have easily won a trophy last year.

We all know how important the League Cup is in the hierarchy of football. Not all that high. Look, I completely understand your position, you want silverware, I get it. Get the foundation built to create a team that always challenges in every competition.

Tottenham have only won 2 League Cups since the start of the Premier League era, they will have won nothing at all for over 16 years come February, so if you're a bit under 25 and support them you'll not have seen your team win a trophy in your time, or at least remember it, so if I was a 23 year old Spurs fan and had been into football for 14/15 years, I'd much rather my team had their fortunes in that time with world class players, big signings, Champions League finals, European football pretty much every year, winning far more matches than you lose, strong media presence, always on TV, portrayed as a 'big club', than someone like a Swansea or even Wigan with their one FA Cup in amongst season upon season of dross. 

Of course winning competitions are important, and I'm sure Middlesbrough, Portsmouth, Swansea, Wigan etc. had amazing nights when they had their one big moment, but you know for us it will still be like 'only 1 trophy in 50 odd years' or whatever, and 'Mickey Mouse', so I'd rather get our house in order, and fully establish ourselves as a top 6 club, ensure we have as much finances as possible to really build a platform, get our squad up to scratch, get rid of the deadwood easier, bring in loads of kids you don't need register in your squad etc. so that in a few years we're in a position to be realistically challenging for 4 trophies every season.

They're not mutually exclusive of course, but winning the League Cup and finishing something like 9th or 10th wouldn't be a great season for the club, and assuming the top 5 do get CL, the European (competition) reward for even finishing 6th would be greater than the European reward for winning the EFL Cup.

Edited by Paullow

3 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Tottenham have only won 2 League Cups since the start of the Premier League era, they will have nothing at all for over 16 years come February, so if you're a bit under 25 and support them you'll not have seen your team win a trophy in your time, or at least remember it, so if I was a 23 year old Spurs fan and had been into football for 14/15 years, I'd much rather my team had their fortunes in that time with world class players, big signings, Champions League finals, European football pretty much every year, winning far more matches than you lose, strong media presence, always on TV, portrayed as a 'big club', than someone like a Swansea or even Wigan with their one FA Cup in amongst season upon season of dross. 

Of course winning competitions are important, and I'm sure Middlesbrough, Portsmouth, Swansea, Wigan etc. had amazing nights when they had their one big moment, but you know for us it will still be like 'only 1 trophy in 50 odd years' or whatever, and 'Mickey Mouse', so I'd rather get our house in order, and fully establish ourselves as a top 6 club, ensure we have as much finances as possible to really established a platform, get our squad up to scratch, get rid of the deadwood easier, bring in loads of kids you don't need register in your squad etc. so that in a few years we're in a position to be realistically challenging for 4 trophies every season.

They're not mutually exclusive of course, but winning the League Cup and finishing something like 9th or 10th wouldn't be a great season for the club, and assuming the top 5 do get CL, the European (competition) reward for even finishing 6th would be greater than the European reward for winning the EFL Cup.

It's a couple of games man ffs we aren't going to implode because we go for a cup run. The negativity is off the charts on here. When we were battling relegation we played weakened teams in the cup because staying up was more important now its more important to get top 6 😂. Complete nonsense. Top 10 and a trophy would be absolutely brilliant for the club, fans and city.

Edited by WideopenMag

1 minute ago, WideopenMag said:

It's a couple of games man ffs we aren't going to implode because we go for a cup run. The negativity is off the charts on here. When we were battling relegation we played weakened teams in the cup because staying up was more important now its more important to get top 6 😂. Complete nonsense. Top 10 and a trophy would be absolutely brilliant for the club, fans and city.

It's not even negativity, I'm as optimistic about my clubs future as I have been for years, as will be the case for most people on here, but it's OK to disagree about how important you view certain things, and you certainly like making your views clear in your short time on the board [emoji38].

22 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

Mental.

To be honest have you always valued the League Cup as hyper important? Again, I do understand you want silverware to a cabinet that is quite empty. I just think it's shortsighted but I totally understand that my perspective likely differs from yours so fair play.

3 minutes ago, McDog said:

To be honest have you always valued the League Cup as hyper important? Again, I do understand you want silverware to a cabinet that is quite empty. I just think it's shortsighted but I totally understand that my perspective likely differs from yours so fair play.

Always, dont see the point in being a football fan or even existing as a club if you dont try and win somthing. Our trophy drought is ridiculous for a club of our size with some of the teams we've had man. Got to dare to dream, haven't you? This cup is very winnable. It would be massive for our fan base and our team. Imagine Bruno and Joelinton etc celebrating with a trophy man 😂 the feel good factor would elevate us up a level.

Tbh amother factor is really wanting to win a trophy and share the experience with my dad, we joke it probably won't happen before he dies. Every year that goes on it seems less and less likely.