Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 hours ago, madras said:

Look at the difference between home an away form in all teams sports all round the world.

While that's true, our away form (and performances) have obviously taken that to the extreme this season. We are close to being bottom three in the league away from home, and were before the injuries hit too. I'd be very surprised if it isn't something that Howe is concerned about, I doubt he's just dismissing it. 

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

While that's true, our away form (and performances) have obviously taken that to the extreme this season. We are close to being bottom three in the league away from home, and were before the injuries hit too. I'd be very surprised if it isn't something that Howe is concerned about, I doubt he's just dismissing it. 

Before injuries our away games were Brighton, Man City and Wolves.

10 minutes ago, madras said:

We have the biggest difference in the entire league when it comes to home points and away points . Injuries etc have obviously played a big part in that but I would be more confident of beating Arsenal at home on Saturday than I am of us winning at Luton, we are just complete polar opposites home and away and it is something that does need to be addressed .

Edited by Geogaddi

How is the Hall/Richie stuff bollocks?

He prefered Richie as a left winger in a half where we were fucked and basically just defending. Maybe Hall would have been better, maybe he would have misplaced a pass leasing to us conceding earlier, who knows?

I think Howe would change a lot of things in hindsight given how little we've come away with on comparison to the effort put in, but he's been let down by some awful individual errors.

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

He prefered Richie as a left winger in a half where we were fucked and basically just defending. Maybe Hall would have been better, maybe he would have misplaced a pass leasing to us conceding earlier, who knows?

I think Howe would change a lot of things in hindsight given how little we've come away with on comparison to the effort put in, but he's been let down by some awful individual errors.

its bollocks because Hall can actually move and carry  ball and take the pressure of the defence. he's got a lot more energy too.

better direct replacement for gordon than  ritchie.

and last night wasnt the first time.

so there must be a reason - he did ok when he started at manu in the cuip.

if there's a reason , then fair enough.

4 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Matt Ritchie getting game time is bollocks like he shouldn't have got a new contract and shouldn't be getting minutes.

7 minutes ago, huss9 said:

its bollocks because Hall can actually move and carry  ball and take the pressure of the defence. he's got a lot more energy too.

better direct replacement for gordon than  ritchie.

and last night wasnt the first time.

so there must be a reason - he did ok when he started at manu in the cuip.

if there's a reason , then fair enough.

How is Hall in any way a direct replacement for Gordon? There may be a reason on Hall's part he isn't getting picked, but Ritchie wasn't at fault for us losing yesterday, and there's zero evidence Hall would have made any difference.

8 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

Matt Ritchie getting game time is bollocks like he shouldn't have got a new contract and shouldn't be getting minutes.

This is just bluster, though. Howe isn't just picking Richie for the craic. 

I love him and what he has achieved so far with us but we simply wont be able to "blow" teams away as often this season multiple factors obviously not going to be able to prove this but my penneth worth 

injuries - this is and will be the continued issue until at least Feb and to be honest even Howe has finally acknowledged we are asking these players to go again and again this runs the risk of them breaking down. 

more games (for this stage of the season anyway). 

being found out slightly by opponents 

potentially mentally more pressure possibly through self set expectations - last season it was 1 game at a time now its well you did that last year how can you push on this one it will add a "weight" to the team. 

issues still breaking through a stubborn defence 

individual player dips in form as they haven't been able to maintain what they did last season (individuals over performing not just the team collectively doing so) due to going so much 

I wish there was a plan B a "different way" to win all for having an identity and a playing style but right now its risky even trying to carry on implementing it defending for our lives with out own low block hasn't worked this season as some form of alternative. 

I hope we do spend in Jan while I see the argument for keeping the money for the summer not sure we want to risk not getting a place in europe next season as it may well hamper who we can attract next season. 

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

How is Hall in any way a direct replacement for Gordon? There may be a reason on Hall's part he isn't getting picked, but Ritchie wasn't at fault for us losing yesterday, and there's zero evidence Hall would have made any difference.

This is just bluster, though. Howe isn't just picking Richie for the craic. 

then what is it?

Just now, huss9 said:

then what is it?

Aye you're probably right, Howe isn't thinking tactically or anything here, he's just giving Ritchie minutes for a laugh.

It will be a struggle to comprehend certain things given we aren't elite football managers, but we can atleast assume there is a reason for them.

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Aye you're probably right, Howe isn't thinking tactically or anything here, he's just giving Ritchie minutes for a laugh.

It will be a struggle to comprehend certain things given we aren't elite football managers, but we can atleast assume there is a reason for them.

not for a laugh.

but there has to be an obvious reason.

howe said he wasnt great defensively . but he was coming on to replace a wide forward.

Edited by huss9

5 minutes ago, huss9 said:

not for a laugh.

howe said he wasnt great defensively . but he was coming on to replace a wide forward.

So we can assume, given nobody in the side could hang onto the ball for a second, that he wanted a dependible and experienced player to help shut up shop. Not an inexperienced player who can thread a ball through the eye of a neddle to their keeper on the halfway line.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

5 minutes ago, huss9 said:

not for a laugh.

Hall isn't a winger and hasn't played there much / at all; he has said he doesn't yet trust him defensively; Ritchie is a winger and has had the best part of a decade being managed by Howe, so actually it makes quite a lot of sense to bring him on in circumstances where our aim (for whatever reason, I think fatigue but that's apparently not good for some people) was to keep shape and defend well - he can hold that shape and do his defensive work. 

I sometimes think there's a tendency to criticise the manager because it makes one feel like they have some agency or control over something that hasn't worked out as they wanted. 

I reckon - untrained eye as I obviously don’t watch you that often - that now with no Europe and no proximity to a LC final, you’re going to find things a lot more manageable. 

It’s a long season and we’re not even halfway through yet. On top of which most of the teams around you will have Europe to return and distract from March (February for some of them). 

i certainly think it is way too early to read much into points gaps at this time, it’s more of a case of being there and thereabouts, in touch. 

Look at Man City’s recent run of results for example. Nobody predicted that. 

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

we'll agree to disgree.

he's a midfielder

just felt it needed somebody who could carry the ball and take the pressure of the defence rather thna just inviting more and more pressure on.

He’s a left back who can play central midfield, no?

1 hour ago, madras said:

Fair enough City. The other games we didn't give a good account of ourselves at all - Wolves away is a game we should be winning and dominating, we were lucky to get a draw. Brighton are no great shakes either this season - they have only beaten us, Brentford, Bournemouth and Luton at home. 

As others have said it's the difference between home and away form that is concerning, as it suggests there's probably a bit more to it than just the fatigue and injuries. 

6 minutes ago, brummie said:

I reckon - untrained eye as I obviously don’t watch you that often - that now with no Europe and no proximity to a LC final, you’re going to find things a lot more manageable. 

It’s a long season and we’re not even halfway through yet. On top of which most of the teams around you will have Europe to return and distract from March (February for some of them). 

i certainly think it is way too early to read much into points gaps at this time, it’s more of a case of being there and thereabouts, in touch. 

Having watched Villa a few times this season I think you are very similar to us , excellent at home and not so great away from home , the difference is you do seem to be able to get results away from home even when you don't play that well like against Brentford , Spurs and Bournemouth .  We did the same last season but haven't been able to this season and it just shows the difference it makes.

9 minutes ago, brummie said:

Newcastle had zero luck in terms of cup draws, which has made the schedule even more gruelling. They've done well to stay within reach of CL places when you look at the fixtures and take the injuries into account. Other teams like Man Utd have had injuries too. But their backup/squad players aren't Lascelles and Ritchie. Newcastle don't have the same depth as others. Both Newcastle and Spurs can't carry long term injuries well. 

They've already played:

PL:

Villa (H)

City (A)

Liverpool (H)

Brighton (A)

West Ham (A)

Arsenal (H)

Chelsea (H)

Man Utd (H)

Spurs (A)

Cups: