Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I’ve been thinking more about our shortcomings this season and I’m veering more towards the root cause being our poor choice of pre season schedule.

Our fitness levels just haven’t been anywhere near as good and that could well be the cause of some of the injuries we’ve had.

Even going back to the game against Villa on day 1.. we tired in that game midway through second half and they finished stronger.

Liverpool the same story but they turned us over.

If you can’t put that on Eddie Howe, who do you put it on? He has to sign off on that for it to happen.

I’d like to see us develop some effective tactical flexibility. Successful teams can do this.

However, those kind of adjustments must be forged on the training pitch and if we can’t get out there to do them we’ll have to wait until the schedule and injury list make it possible.

In game tactical changes don’t really seem considered to much as an option.

I'm sure EH has reasoning for this but I’d like to know as I’m nosy.

12 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I’ve been thinking more about our shortcomings this season and I’m veering more towards the root cause being our poor choice of pre season schedule.

Our fitness levels just haven’t been anywhere near as good and that could well be the cause of some of the injuries we’ve had.

Even going back to the game against Villa on day 1.. we tired in that game midway through second half and they finished stronger.

If you can’t put that on Eddie Howe, who do you put it on? He has to sign off on that for it to happen.

Personally thought the opposite, we scored twice in the last 15 minutes.

11 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I’ve been thinking about our shortcomings this season and I’m veering towards the root cause being our poor choice of previous manager and completely getting fucked over by Ashley and left with an average squad which our manager has managed to get into the CL way ahead of what he should have.

Our other shortcomings are the complete bellends who seem to have the authority to say that Howe has reached his limit.

Just now, Thomson Mouse said:

I’ve been thinking about our shortcomings this season and I’m veering towards the root cause being our poor choice of previous manager and completely getting fucked over by Ashley and left with an average squad which our manager has managed to get into the CL way ahead of what he should have.

Our other shortcomings are the complete bellends who seem to have the authority to say that Howe has reached his limit.

Edit: forgot to say how average the infrastructure still is after Ashley compared to our rivals.

But yeah, crack on

52 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

But you’ve literally just come up with a conclusion in your own head without any evidence, stats, data to back it up then finish with ‘if you can’t put it on Eddie who do you put it on?’

There’s nothing to put on anyone because you’ve literally just made something up. 

God I hate the internet. 

2 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Ah right. Well I thought we know that already [emoji38]

8 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Means fuckall to me that. 

Fair enuf. I think most of our season’s underlying performances have been mostly good (and better than sentiment), but we’re starting to concede a high volume of good goal scoring opportunities. 

1 minute ago, Jagten said:

Fair enuf. I think most of our season’s underlying performances have been mostly good (and better than sentiment), but we’re starting to concede a high volume of good goal scoring opportunities. 

Well I could show you a graph of chances made against chances conceded and where the lines goes

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Well I could show you a graph of chances made against chances conceded and where the lines goes

But that’s not inferring chance quality. Anyway, this is all an approximation.

Edited by Jagten

Just now, Jagten said:

But that’s inferring chance quality. Anyway, this is all an approximation.

But the line goes where Eddie wants it go. Now if Eddie can’t get results with or without making fans entertained then he and Ashworth are going to have to have a very serious chat. 

You would think we were playing like prime Real Madrid the way some people were going on.

Eddie Howe’s style of play might seem like that compared to our immediate previous managers but it’s far from where it should be.

We still can’t comfortably keep possession despite having one of the best back lines in the league last year. (They’ve been anything but this season but that’s a different point)

Even early season we’ve shown signs of being tired. Liverpool at home was the prime example, for fuck sake.. we let 10 men completely overrun us.

Now what about the other less memorable results..

A routine loss away to City..

Liverpool at home, see above. Not good enough.

Brighton away.. toothless. Shambles of a performance.

Conceded late on against West Ham.. tired second half.

Conceded late on against Wolves. Tired again.

Terrible performance against Bournemouth.. outplayed and out worked.

Everton away, never in it.. easy win for them.

Spurs away.. torn to shreds that day. Piss poor.

Then Luton away and then Forest at home..

That’s half the league games we’ve played in this season where we’ve been absolutely shit.

We can’t blame all of that on injuries and fatigue.

I really like Eddie Howe and I’d love to see him succeed here but how long do you let a rot like that set in before you can start questioning it?

He’s got a massive struggle on his hands to even get the team to where we were, let alone where we want to be.

3 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

You would think we were playing like prime Real Madrid the way some people were going on.

Eddie Howe’s style of play might seem like that compared to our immediate previous managers but it’s far from where it should be.

We still can’t comfortably keep possession despite having one of the best back lines in the league last year. (They’ve been anything but this season but that’s a different point)

Even early season we’ve shown signs of being tired. Liverpool at home was the prime example, for fuck sake.. we let 10 men completely overrun us.

Now what about the other less memorable results..

A routine loss away to City..

Liverpool at home, see above. Not good enough.

Brighton away.. toothless. Shambles of a performance.

Conceded late on against West Ham.. tired second half.

Conceded late on against Wolves. Tired again.

Terrible performance against Bournemouth.. outplayed and out worked.

Everton away, never in it.. easy win for them.

Spurs away.. torn to shreds that day. Piss poor.

Then Luton away and then Forest at home..

That’s half the league games we’ve played in this season where we’ve been absolutely shit.

We can’t blame all of that on injuries and fatigue.

I really like Eddie Howe and I’d love to see him succeed here but how long do you let a rot like that set in before you can start questioning it?

He’s got a massive struggle on his hands to even get the team to where we were, let alone where we want to be.

Rot is a very strong word and I don’t think it’s correct at all. I’ve been critical of EH’s lack of tactical flexibility and inability to make impactful in-game changes, and they are justified criticisms, but he’s the kind of man and manger who is unlikely to let it happen two seasons in a row. If he does, the criticism will grow and he’ll likely be on his way, but he’s got a lot of credit left in the bank before anyone should start questioning his position here.

2 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

That Viilla game we won 5-1?  Yeah it was shocking from us.

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Unless the expectation is to never have a bad performance, I can and will like. 

When will fatigue cease to be a reasonable reason/excuse for poor performances in your eyes? (and other people’s eyes as well). 
Our next few games are nicely spaced out, so next few weeks, until the injury crisis completely clears up, end of the season? 

For the record, I’m not being antagonistic. I’m genuinely curious. 

7 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Rot is a very strong word and I don’t think it’s correct at all. I’ve been critical of EH’s lack of tactical flexibility and inability to make impactful in-game changes, and they are justified criticisms, but he’s the kind of man and manger who is unlikely to let it happen two seasons in a row. If he does, the criticism will grow and he’ll likely be on his way, but he’s got a lot of credit left in the bank before anyone should start questioning his position here.

Also. We were not ‘overrun’ by 10 man Liverpool. For all that it was pathetic defending to end the game and infuriating to watch.

West Ham we were decent for the most part, bar some crucial mistakes and they’re proving to be decent this season. Then the ridiculous injury crisis really kicked in from around Wolves onwards. Coincidence? 

Brighton is a fair enough shout. But I actually think the Luton and Forest games were two of the worst performances all season and hard to excuse. Even with the ‘fatigue’ factored in. 

You would have thought we might have worked on a slightly tweaked system. Even with limited time between games. As we had clearly been burning out in previous weeks. Regardless of all of that, we shouldn’t be getting outplayed by Luton and Forest. 

There has been a clear difference between early in the season with the energy levels and how we look as a team. You’d be able to see that off 5-10 minutes of highlights for each game. It’s night and day and not sure what Jinx’ argument is there. 

As you point out, Holmes. If the same mistakes keep getting made or this bad form turns into a really long run of shit results.  Then I’d imagine he will be getting some stick. Premature to be hammering him now.