Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I don’t think we are many bad performances away from the crowd turning on him at home.

If we hadn’t pulled it back against Luton it would have been hostile at the end.

41 minutes ago, andycap said:

Well everything is rosy then I expect us to cruise to the end of the season. No more mishaps a defeats to weaker opponents to hear the majority on here. Is it so wrong to say we are bare bones in the middle and should bring a system change so they're not getting exposed to record chances against of late. 

You're just moving the goalposts now. 

You said: "It's the system did you not see early in the season we had all our big guns playing and we were still getting cut to ribbons." There's no basis for that comment or this "last year we kind of got away with it to a point" considering we had the second best defensive record in the league behind only the best team in the world.

6 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I don’t think we are many bad performances away from the crowd turning on him at home.

If we hadn’t pulled it back against Luton it would have been hostile at the end.

this is fucking depressing if true 

I don't think we will get any better than Howe for the foreseeable 

he is clearly a brilliant and ambitious coach who's just having a rocky season

this is primarily due to an unprecedented amount of long term absentees

also way too many games coinciding with above, especially against elite opposition - a victim of his own success really 

nobody will work harder than him and I am confident he will continue to learn from his mistakes and improve

(don't think I could say that about mangers like ETH and Potch for example)

if Eddie were to leave because fans turned on him midway through this season then I despair 

we're lucky to have him imo but maybe don't deserve him

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If the fans start turning on Howe, the Ashley and Bruce days are everything we deserve. I get criticism of tactics, etc but if that happens the fans can get to fuck. 

I said this not too long ago that a lot of fans might just have been getting what they deserved under the old regime.

Howe has only managed to keep us up under dire circumstances, and then get us into the top 4 since he joined. 

His first time in Europe as a manager and learning to navigate all that, and people think he should be turned on.

Howe deserves better tbh.

Edited by KaKa

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I said this not too long ago that a lot of fans might just have been getting what they deserved under the old regime.

That much was clear for years but we probably shouldn't go there :lol:

Howe has been class for us for over 2 years now. You don't become a bad manager overnight or over the course of a spell of poor games. He'll get us back on track, if we were ever off track to begin with.

Desperately need midfield options back sharpish, the current midfield 3 doesn't work and is probably our biggest achilles heel but we have no one else. More so an issue than Burn's recent form imo.

Fully expect us to be one of the busiest clubs in the summer where he can properly shape us with the Adidas and CL money kicking in on the books.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

Howe has only managed to keep us up under dire circumstances, and then get us into the top 4 since he joined. 

His first time in Europe as a manager and learning to navigate all that, and people think he should be turned on.

Howe deserves better tbh.

Said it before but if the fans inside the ground start to visibly show discontent at Howe and this squad, after sitting and lapping up everything Ashley, Pardew, McClaren, Carver, Bruce, etc gave them, they can fuck off.

What confounds me is talk of bringing in "elite" managers who would only likely be here for 2 or 3 seasons. With Howe, we have the potential of having him for awhile, and the potential for him to grow with the club, which would put us in a much stronger and more stable position than some two year flash in the pan. He's earned a bit more latitude than half a season after the previous 1 and 3/4 seasons. One or two on here just gave him until the Brighton game before they started expressing concern that he may not be the right man. 

And ffs, andycap, people on here were saying that we got sussed out one year ago. Forest for the trees, man. 

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

The crowd hardly happy-clapped their way through the Ashley era.  I sacked it off when Ashley got rid of KK, but I don’t for a second think that everyone who still went after that were all complicit in what occurred (I also didn’t think Ashley would be around for a decade and a half - had I known my self-imposed exile may not have occurred).  

Expectations change, that’s football.  The crowd turned on Robson in the end, and that was perfectly fine with me too - his time was up.

Newcastle has spent almost half a billion quid in two years, and ST prices are rising rapidly.  Football crowds have always been reactionary, and all crowds expectations change based on where the club is at that point.  ‘We were playing X, or were in division Y, Z number of seasons ago’ is meaningless if significant investment has taken place.  You’re not looking at something miraculous - you’re looking at (mainly) well-spent huge sums of money being spent on a PL club.  Howe’s done a great job in my opinion - but other opinions exist. 

I have never booed or jeered at a football ground - I never saw how that helped.  I don’t like jumping the gun on managers, and I also think Howe should have bought plenty of time and goodwill.  But I don’t like the number of ‘they got what they deserved’ comments.  

Going to actually attend football matches isn’t an inexpensive use of time or money - plenty of those people kept the club afloat for years when others (like me) who couldn’t face paying Ashley money didn’t.  I’m not morally superior for taking that option - NUFC wouldn’t exist today without punters paying to attend matches; if everyone had been like me, there’s no football club.  I continue to watch from afar, but it’s a watered down experience - takes zero effort for me to sit on my arse and watch it at home.  

Worth thinking about for anyone sat criticising those people who continued to unhappily put up with the pigswill Ashley served up - they’re the ones who deserve the success that’s hopefully coming, not those of us sat on our arses watching on TV.  Yes, people acting like divs and being overreactive at the match will happen - they should calm down - but they didn’t ‘deserve’ Ashley.  Fuck that. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

20 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Some of us seem to think that Howe is the finished article as a manager. He's not - hes still only 46 and learning his trade.

Let him grow with the club.

I’m happy for him to be here, but 46 isn’t young for a manager tbf.  

By point of comparison to some big names, Alex Ferguson had won several Scottish titles and won the CWC with Aberdeen after beating Real Madrid in the final; Rafa Benitez, Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola had won the European Cup; Jurgen Klopp won the Bundesliga and lost a European Cup final; Arsene Wenger was at Arsenal having previously won the Ligue 1 title with Monaco; Brian Clough had won two league titles and two European Cups with Forest; Arrigo Sacchi had won two European Cups with his great Milan side;  Rinus Michels had won three European Cups with Ajax … and so on, and so forth.

Doesn’t mean Howe won’t be successful, but he isn’t a young manager.  

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’m happy for him to be here, but 46 isn’t young for a manager tbf.  

By point of comparison to some big names, Alex Ferguson had won several Scottish titles and won the CWC with Aberdeen after beating Real Madrid in the final; Rafa Benitez, Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola had won the European Cup; Jurgen Klopp won the Bundesliga and lost a European Cup final; Arsene Wenger was at Arsenal having previously won the Ligue 1 title with Monaco; Brian Clough had won two league titles and two European Cups with Forest; Arrigo Sacchi had won two European Cups with his great Milan side;  Rinus Michels had won three European Cups with Ajax … and so on, and so forth.

Doesn’t mean Howe won’t be successful, but he isn’t a young manager.  

What a pointless post. 

Does he really need to be compared to some of the greatest managers? 

Can I counter?

99% of managers who have ever lived, havent won any major trophies by 46. Howe is in the 1%

3 minutes ago, arnonel said:

What a pointless post. 

Can I counter?

99% of managers who have ever lived, havent won any major trophies by 46. Howe is in the 1%

He's just pointing out that great managers have often approached greatness by 46. They don't all suddenly explode into life in their 50s - in case anyone was under that impression. He's not disputing that Howe has scope to achieve big things. I mean, we want him to be compared to the great managers because we hope he'll be considered among them in the next few years, right?

11 minutes ago, arnonel said:

What a pointless post. 

Can I counter?

The point obviously was that Howe isn’t a young manager - most managers who are successful are actually successful at this point.  Doesn’t mean he won’t win things with us, but he’s not a whippersnapper

I'm firmly in the camp where I think Howe is a good manager and really hope he's here for another 10-15 years. However, he's not immune to criticism and I think people are well within their rights to question him (or any other manager for that matter). It's football, it's subjective - people have differing opinions and it's what makes / made places like this great (before it became OTT frowned upon).

25 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

I think that the biggest hammer blow was losing Tonali. That has thrown Eddie's plans into disarray 

I actually think Barnes may have been bigger. Think his first choice front 3 would have been Barnes, Isak, Gordon. Super fluid forward line with everyone able to interchange at any moment.

Just now, sushimonster85 said:

I actually think Barnes may have been bigger. Think his first choice front 3 would have been Barnes, Isak, Gordon. Super fluid forward line with everyone able to interchange at any moment.

Barnes’s directness would have been perfect in some of the games in that bad run

The guy had 12 outfield players at his disposal to play every 3 days in our most important period of the season. Unless Pep can turn Matt Richie into something's he's not overnight then I can't see how Eddie was meant to get through that lot without it costing us.

Luton was disappointing, especially as forest at home was still quite fresh, but we owe Eddie Howe for the platform he has built. Things will improve 

20 hours ago, andycap said:

It's the system did you not see early in the season we had all our big guns playing and we were still getting cut to ribbons. 

When did this happen exactly or am I just having a major bout of amnesia. I remember daft individual errors and no doubt teams are better prepared to face us now, which made games more difficult (Durr!). But like I said, in early December we’d beaten Man Utd for the third consecutive time to go fifth, where still in the League Cup QF and had a chance of progressing from our CL group. Then the injuries really bit. Would I like to see us have a bit more tactical flexibility, sure. But I don’t think the system is a broken as some are making out.