Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

8 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

All of the current top 3 are often playing at least one CB in at least one of the FB positions, tbf.

Liverpool are only doing so through injury. But Klopp is happier playing Gomez at FB than ever before. 

Liverpool and Spurs are also by the weakest defensive teams in that top 5. 

11 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Well why isn't our right back just as vulnerable?

Burn is too slow. He doesn't get outskilled, nobody's sending him the wrong way with a deft feint or the drop of a shoulder, people just knock the ball past him and run, and there's nothing he can do. That's not even something he can work on in training, he'll never be any faster.

Yes our midfield could offer more protection to the back line, but Burn being beaten for pace again and again by people just running round him isn't the midfield's fault.

Our right back was vulnerable when Miley played over there. Is it just coincidence that Trippiers worst games came when Miley was on the right and Burns are when he's on the left ?

Edited by madras

10 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

All of the current top 3 are often playing at least one CB in at least one of the FB positions, tbf.

True enough of Arsenal and City tbf, but even then the players they have in those positions are more dynamic than Burn, they also play with a completely different style to us in general.

Liverpool are more stylistically similar to us and at their best they play with Trent and Robertson first choice, Gomes has played there a lot this season due to injuries I believe, but again he's more capable going the other way than BDB and is more of an all-rounder than a centre half. 

Even though i have lost my rose-colored glassed and are annoyed as fuck with him atm, im far from ready to let him go.

He turned a team of flops into a genuin top 4 team. The transformation of Joelinton, Almiron, Schär, Murphy, Longstaff erc. is nothing short of amazing. His positives still far outweigh any negatives we have seen lately for me. 

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

How does fans wanting to see more technical players mean we want to be like Man City ? As for spending more money, don’t think anyone has criticised the club for this at all. It’s more aimed at FFP and it’s a very fair argument.

Other than on match day when emotions are high, this thread usually consists of people making fair criticisms or voicing concerns they have about the team, tactics or results.

The opposite side of that is people who don’t seem to be able to handle such opinions being voiced and get defensive about it, they don’t challenge the opinion but the fact someone has had the audacity to raise it, who wants to paint a picture of everything being perfect after we pick up a victory and that those criticisms cannot be valid due to us winning.

”Go and support Man City then”

Fucking hell.😂

39 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I don’t think this is true anymore about 2 attack minded fullbacks. 

City started Stones and Ake at fullback yesterday.  Their most attacking fullback is Walker who is defence first imo.  

In the top 5 only Liverpool and Spurs play with 2 attacking fullbacks. 

There's a difference between a central defender who is quick, agile and can get up and down the pitch like Ake, and Dan Burn.

There's no harm in having someone fast, skillful AND tall at fullback, but Howe has decided that height is more important than those other two attributes combined. If it was working, fine. But it isn't. And his continual refusal to address it or even consider doing something different is frustrating.

And if it's frustrating for me, I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be for the £65m worth of actual fullbacks we've bought (or committed to buy) who's careers are being wasted because no matter what they do in training they'll never be tall enough and so won't ever be given a chance.

And if you think that last point is unfair, tell me the last time a fit and available Dan Burn was not picked to start.

Edited by Chris_R

To be honest it’s been a real bitch of a season in regards to schedule, injuries and plain bad luck. And it probably always would be after last season’s performances where a lot of things fell our way. 

I get as frustrated with Eddie and some of the players as anyone from time to time and I do think that mistakes have been made in regards to how we have approached the season. Still it’s important to remember that we as a club and Eddie as a manager (as well as most of the players) are in uncharted waters here. Everyone connected is learning on the go. 

As frustrating as this season has been from time to time we’ve had a lot of great experiences, performances and results. And it will only get better - it might take a while but if there’s a manager that I’d put my trust in to better himself and find a way it’s probably Eddie. 

European football is still on the cards in some form for next season as well as a chance at the FA Cup. There are more awesome memories to be milked out of the tit that is this season IMO. 

42 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Other than on match day when emotions are high, this thread usually consists of people making fair criticisms or voicing concerns they have about the team, tactics or results.

The opposite side of that is people who don’t seem to be able to handle such opinions being voiced and get defensive about it, they don’t challenge the opinion but the fact someone has had the audacity to raise it, who wants to paint a picture of everything being perfect after we pick up a victory and that those criticisms cannot be valid due to us winning.

”Go and support Man City then”

Fucking hell.😂

Aye, there definetly isn't an element who heavily imply they'd bin Howe off, without having the conviction to say it outright. 

22 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Five points off last season's total after the same amount of games. Win next week and it's two.

Nope, it's 8 points off.

https://www.worldfootball.net/schedule/eng-premier-league-2022-2023-spieltag/24/

Edit:  different websites calculate this differently, this way is wrong.

Edited by El Prontonise

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Aye, there definetly isn't an element who heavily imply they'd bin Howe off, without having the conviction to say it outright. 

This is my big gripe.

I've said I don't agree with Howe on Burn. It's a fair cop. Howes got/getting this one wrong.

But the "well we don't know how the Saudis will react to us not being in the top 4", crap which does my head in. You can practically see the fingers being crossed that the Saudis might do something ridiculous like sack Howe and hire Mourinho.

The idea of Howe not being here terrifies me. There's only a handful of managers in world football who I think are significant upgrades on Howe and those are in the Ancelotti, Pep, Klopp bracket.

Fuck me, I'm convinced we have a better manager than the current Bayern Munich manager. We should tread very carefully.

For example...

Would you theoretically want Mikel Arteta here (I know it wouldn't happen)?

Go and have a look at his first couple of seasons at Arsenal? They were so inconsistent (Arteta out anyone?), now he's got them comfortably in the top 4 and (kind of) in the titles races.

Again, not convinced at all about Arteta as a manager. He's good sure, is he better than Howe? Put it this way, I think Howe would have done better than Arteta at Arsenal (on that budget) and Arteta certainly couldn't have done what Howe has done here.

He's also an absolute weapon.... I don't want to go back to disliking my managers. 

I don't want an argument about Arteta as a manager, he's done a good job for Arsenal and won the FA Cup, this is more an overriding point about being carefully about what kind of person and problems could be around the corner.

Howes an absolute top bloke, a phenomenal coach and we've had a testing year, which alot of people predicted.

I think it’s a fair comment to make about how the Saudi’s will react, if people don’t say it then it won’t make it less of a reality.

I have a lot of time for Howe and want a successful club with him as manager; however, we have to be able to discuss his failings and hope he can learn from them.

And just to add to the above... I was absolutely foaming about the Luton display last week, so much so that I couldn't even watch the highlights back. [emoji38]

Sometimes you (me) just need to take a step back and see where we are and how far we've come.

The idea of us playing in the Europa conference with an even better (injury free) squad next year, sounds a hell of a lot of fun IMO. Let that be our target.

To be 7th after the last 3 months is decent, but I don't think deserved (going off play) However good teams play poor and win, and I'd much rather that than playing well and losing.

There's only really arsenal away which you'd say we don't have much chance to pick up points, but even then it's those games, like villa away, where we can turn up and give it a go. 

Get past blackburn and hopefully a favorable home tie and this season might not be the complete write off I had it down as. Clearly Eddie hasn't given up, though it's a shame the club didn't back him in the window. 

1 minute ago, Matt1892 said:

I think it’s a fair comment to make about how the Saudi’s will react, if people don’t say it then it won’t make it less of a reality.

I have a lot of time for Howe and want a successful club with him as manager; however, we have to be able to discuss his failings and hope he can learn from them.

You see even this is OTT. His "failings" man. [emoji38]

I don't know if I'm reading it wrong or it's just me but "failings" is just a word I wouldn't use. [emoji38]

If I talked about Peps "failings" I'd rightly get laughed at but I could easily point to more than one moment where his decisions cost his side a trophy. 

On the Saudi point. In a scenario where they sacked Howe, THEY would be wrong, not Howe. Then we could talk about their "failings".

29 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Five points off last season's total after the same amount of games. Win next week and it's two.

Last season's matches are misleading because game 7 and 25 were postponed, so we're actually now going into a run where we need to win the next 5 just to stay 5 points behind last season's points total. If we win 6 on the bounce we'll go 2 points behind.

Edited by Kid Icarus

How great have we been at set pieces lately? So many different and effective variations. Not sure if my memory is clouded a bit after yesterday, but feels like we've scored from corners or free kicks every other game for a long time now.

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Last season's matches are misleading because game 7 and 25 were postponed, so we're actually now going into a run where we need to win the next 5 just to stay 5 points behind last season's points total. If we win 6 on the bounce we'll go 2 points behind.

Yeap, I've been on 2 websites and they give us either on 41 or 44 points because of the way it's calculated (either via match-day or by a snapshot at a time).

Just now, El Prontonise said:

Yeap, I've been on 2 websites and they give us either on 41 or 44 points because of the way it's calculated (either via match-day or by a snapshot at a time).

It's been a really frustrating, injury ravaged season, but I can't see it as anything other than a success to be probably looking like we'll finish on 60ish points in those circumstances.

It really makes you wonder what might have been without the injuries, because without those we were absolutely smashing teams, especially at home.

There are innate benefits to keeping a manager in long term, even if said manager has flaws. The squad gets to know their methods, its built around the manager he will be able to implement the systems he want. There was a feeling I think in the league that unless you were ferguson or wenger you had a life span as a manager (this maybe mourinho's fault as the clearest example of a manager who burns out in a 3 year cycle) you were brought in, expect to deliver a decent first season then the second season was meant to be when you 'peaked' and then after that the squad would get bored and predictable. 

Burnout definitely happens still, Dyche at Burnley seemed to be running out of steam in their last season. I think staying long term relies on good dressing room management, if the results are bad AND the players stop listening or respecting the manager that's really hard to turn around as players know manager will likely be replaced. But if the players know the manager is staying no matter what that gives somewhat more authority. 

All this to say, I think a lot of clubs have looked at Arteta's shakey first few seasons and what's happening now, and thought, oh that's a sensible cost effective way of running a club (what a shock!) you don't have to swap and change managers in hope of short term boosts. They look at Chelsea and think oh god we don't want to be that. 

I very much doubt that as long as the dressing room is behind Howe his job is in any trouble. I would reckon even if we miss Europe we will stick with Howe, but I imagine patience would start to be tested if half way through next season there isn't any improvement, but that feels unlikely.