Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Really liked our formation, with more of a wing back approach with Krafth-Schar-Burn at the back in offense, and 4-5-1 in defense with Murphy and Anderson taking the flanks. That crap defense with a 4-straight line 5-1 has been so frustrating and bad.

3 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Showing everyone he’s developing plan Bs 💪

Has always had them tbf.

In his tactical masterclass video he switched to a three at the back system to smash Chelsea when he was back at Bournemouth.

Changing systems requires the right players available and enough time to drill these changes too.

Still can't quite process how we're in 6th having never been able to pick our strongest 11 at any single point in the season. 

I'll say it quitely but should we finish here it probably usurps what he achieved last year imo. 

Short of the Peps and Klopps, I think we have a genuinely elite manager.

The Bournemouth fans were right - the guy is a genius. On paper our defence was lousy - second choice keeper in Dubs, Krafth-Schar-Burn at centre back, with Anderson and Murphy not in their ideal roles as wing-backs. With 27% possession, we beat a CL standard side 4-0. Go figure.

We're only 3 wins behind last season, which is ridiculous.

Would tend to agree that if we got 5-7th this season it'll rival last season in terms of achievement within context. Just ultimately a 'what if' season that was frustrating with some brilliant highlights.

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

We're only 3 wins behind last season, which is ridiculous.

Would tend to agree that if we got 5-7th this season it'll rival last season in terms of achievement within context. Just ultimately a 'what if' season that was frustrating with some brilliant highlights.

Liverpool and Everton will haunt me the most.

Only real question mark over Howe from this season if he is capable of preparing a team to play twice a week at the highest level without burning out the squad and increasing long term injury risk. Will just double underline that it is a question and not a definitive "Howe cannot do this" opinion. 

He is clearly elite given sufficient prep time for games. And may well be able to do it with a European itinerary with this season being a freak anomaly of injuries.  

1 minute ago, David Edgar said:

Only real question mark over Howe from this season if he is capable of preparing a team to play twice a week at the highest level without burning out the squad and increasing long term injury risk. Will just double underline that it is a question and not a definitive "Howe cannot do this" opinion. 

He is clearly elite given sufficient prep time for games. And may well be able to do it with a European itinerary with this season being a freak anomaly of injuries.  

I'm hoping a lesser Europe allows for easier games and we get more use out of the fringe & rotated players. Same for the cups, some kinder fixtures would also be nice. 

I think one of the advantages of playing in one of the lesser Euro comps (other than chance to win a trophy, boost co-efficient, increasing the club's profile, giving players european football etc.) is that it'll give the backroom staff more experience dealing with the demands of Europe. It's been a big learning curve this year.

With a bit more experience, a more fleshed out squad with fewer injuries, and maybe the odd cup draw that lets us play some kids we could give it a go on a couple of fronts.

1 hour ago, David Edgar said:

This season was his first time ever dealing with it. He would have learned a lot and he will make adjustments you'd imagine.

Regarding Isak I noticed in his press conference after the match, he mentioned that they are managing him during the week as he is the only striker available, as we need Gordon out wide at the minute.

It's the kind of thing that will need doing across the whole squad at times, with more lighter sessions, and more tactic/video work or even more full rest days.

Dreaming of Europa League now, like. I like the Conference but would much prefer to see us rubbing shoulders with what I'd consider to be more our European peers. 

For arguements sake, with no incomings or outgoings next year:

PL:

Pope

Trippier    Schar    Botman   Tino

Bruno

Tonali                Joelinton 

Gordon                             Barnes

Isak

Europe:

Dubravka 

Krafth     Lascelles    Burn    Hall

Miley

Longstaff         Willock

Minteh                               Anderson

Wilson

Obviously I'm aware there will be players in and players out and also that you don't have to change an entirely 11 from one game to the next. But that European front 6 is decent but it highlights needing defenders.

7 minutes ago, STM said:

PL:

Pope

Bruno

Isak

Europe:

Dubravka 

Miley

Wilson

Obviously I'm aware there will be players in and players out and also that you don't have to change an entirely 11 from one game to the next. But that European front 6 is decent but it highlights needing defenders.

Minteh is far too raw to be starting over Murphy or Almiron

Just now, tgarve said:

Minteh is far too raw to be starting over Murphy or Almiron

Started in the CL this season. :lol:

8 minutes ago, STM said:

PL:

Pope

Bruno

Isak

Europe:

Dubravka 

Miley

Wilson

That's how I play FM, 2 players for every position and a couple of swing players like Murphy, always works for me ! 

8 minutes ago, STM said:

PL:

Pope

Bruno

Isak

Europe:

Dubravka 

Miley

Wilson

Just on that note, it seems an odd and contradictory idea to say we want Europe to help keep our best players, then rest all those players in Europe. 

9 minutes ago, STM said:

PL:

Pope

Bruno

Isak

Europe:

Dubravka 

Miley

Wilson

It also highlights how far away we are from the squad quality of the teams we're hoping to be competing with long term.

We are still in the very early stages of our development. Incredible really. 

1 minute ago, Chris_R said:

Just on that note, it seems an odd and contradictory idea to say we want Europe to help keep our best players, then rest all those players in Europe. 

Yes and again, the purpose of laying out two sides wasn't for what you've said above. 

But... we absolutely will need to rest an Isak or a Trippier or a Bruno, we need to be able to have someone who can step in, for us to do that.

We need to navigate the earlier rounds with using our squad and in the later rounds benefit from having a fresher group.

Just now, STM said:

Yes and again, the purpose of laying out two sides wasn't for what you've said above. 

I mean fair enough if you're saying that now, but you literally labelled them 'PL' and 'Europe' :lol:

21 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

I mean fair enough if you're saying that now, but you literally labelled them 'PL' and 'Europe' :lol:

Aye fair enough. :lol:

It was more trying to highlight squad depth in a 2 sets of 11 way.

The last time we finished 2 consecutive seasons in the top 6 was 2 decades ago. Has us within 6 games of it despite all of the challenges this season and what he inherited. Would be a remarkable achievement.

From .com;

"With two fixtures remaining at SJP, 11 home wins matches last season's tally from the full season. 69 goals exceeds our 2022/23 total by one and is our highest PL total since hitting 74 back in 2001/02.

43 home goals in the PL is our best top-flight return since the 1996/97 season saw 54 netted."

Some feat that given the context of the season. If we can get Europa League that transcends last season's achievement for me. Some going.