Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

5 hours ago, Mazzy said:

The FA will look at how it's worked out for Southgate and I've got no doubts they'll be considering the same about Carsley. He's actually won something managing his England team remember.

It's worked out for Southgate? [emoji38]

9 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

Steve Cooper would be the best choice, the sooner the better and dispose of Southgate 

He’s Welsh [emoji38]

23 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

If only it had worked out as well as literally every other manager in history bar one.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If only it had worked out as well as literally every other manager in history bar one.

We're smashing pretty much every side not considered elite, as we should, but we're still struggling when we come up against anyone decent. I'd say he's done an average job at best. Still seeing the odd weirdly shit performance though, a really poor nations league campaign last time round...

Screenshot_20240502_153100_FotMob.jpg

Then there's the Brazil and Belgium games more recently. We were flat against both, never in the game against Brazil, they spaffed so many chances it could have been 5 or 6 nil. We let Youri Tielemans boss the game when we played Belgium. He's relying on "a bit of fret" from some of the best players in the world when we play the better sides rather than controlling the game with any tactical nouse.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

56 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Alternatively only 1/14 England managers who werent international youth managers went on to win the World Cup for us. Obviously Southgate currently fails on your point.

Yep, I just don’t think that there is a ‘correct’ way to select a manager.  Other than them being good. 

18 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If only every other manager in history had faced an international field as sparsely populated with top sides as it is currently.  Other than France, there isn’t a single international side from a major football nation which looks anything like its past self.  Argentina, Brazil, Holland, Germany, Spain, Italy - not one is of a particularly great vintage.  Relatively speaking, England is stronger than it’s ever been.  If this side wins nothing given what it is up against, Southgate goes down as a failure. 

On 01/05/2024 at 10:23, Myleftboot said:

Bookies favourite for next England manager at the minute.

6E427666-5EF0-43D0-BA7B-CF7F6BFD9BAB.jpeg

Would be mightily surprised if it wasn't Carsley. Cheap, grateful, and wouldn't kick off.

4 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Would be mightily surprised if it wasn't Carsley. Cheap, grateful, and wouldn't kick off.

Yep, the FA love a yes man.  It’s the same crusty old Etonian types who’ve been there since its inception - they don’t want to be challenged. 

46 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Spent years working with the England setup. Not sure him being Welsh should rule him out?

If you ain’t sure then you are slightly naive to how he’d be treat by England fans and the press. Cant see anyone from the British Isles managing England. I could be wrong (and I’d like to think I was wrong) but just can’t see him being a popular choice for the main gig.

7 minutes ago, LFEE said:

If you ain’t sure then you are slightly naive to how he’d be treat by England fans and the press. Cant see anyone from the British Isles managing England. I could be wrong (and I’d like to think I was wrong) but just can’t see him being a popular choice for the main gig.

Don’t think it would arse anyone - until England fail.  Then the pitchforks would be out. 

14 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Will be interesting to see what Potter’s next gig is. Especially after he turned down Ajax!

Waiting for Brighton?

3 minutes ago, Cf said:

Waiting for Brighton?

Think they have their eye on the Ipswich manager. Maybe though. Thought Man Utd might show interest in him.

3 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

That's not what I said now is it :hmm:

The FA will see Southgate tenure as a success (mostly) given the amount of progress that been made. So why not follow the same model and appoint Carsley. Not that I believe that's the right thing to do at all.

Potter would be a fair choice. Ticks the young, mild mannered, English mould.

He's basically Southgate but knows a bit more.

From Howe's point of view and indeed any ambitious managers worth their salt, your national side can wait. If they want him now, they will still likely want him after he's won the league with us..... and while you might chuckle at that, Howe certainly believes he's going to succeed.

Its a bit different if you are currently out of work or working at a lower level. You don't leave a top club job for a national team.

19 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, the FA love a yes man.  It’s the same crusty old Etonian types who’ve been there since its inception - they don’t want to be challenged. 

See also, refereeing.

46 minutes ago, jack j said:

His record must be only 2nd to Keegans first spell is it? Or even better if you take out lower league stats?

No it is still second best, if you include all of Keegan’s games in charge. I’ve posted a table somewhere and will update at the end of the season.