Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

6 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

Getting yellow cards [emoji38]

Do we know what happened? I was struggling with connection at that point in the game. Missed the penalty and goal.

Different ways of interpreting today's game. Burnley's predicament kind of reminded me of games we've had i ourselves in years past where we've started with promising huff and puff and frightened a slow starting opposition, before they come back with a bit of ruthless precision and end up absolutely demolishing us. We're extremely effective once we get the bit between our teeth. 

Always enjoy seeing Wilson and Isak on the pitch together. As others have said, I appreciate the proactive pragmatism Eddie's shown in recent games.

10 minutes ago, 80 said:

I appreciate the proactive pragmatism Eddie's shown in recent games.

Nicely summed up.

15 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I'd be surprised if we sign another CM - we're overstocked in that position.  Of course, that's not allowing for us selling any of them.  

Agreed. I just feel we lack a bit of footballing ability in there. 

But I guess we are more Klopp Liverpool than Pep/Arteta

5 hours ago, joeyt said:

Not sure how you measure it but we seem to score goals in really quick clusters like we did today, last week and against Spurs

Remember James Maddison saying something about how they know that once we score the opposition have to ensure they don't concede quickly again because that's what we do to so many teams

Teams/players are most vulnerable soon after conceding, and our style of trying to win the ball back high up the pitch feeds in to it.

2 minutes ago, Disco said:

Nicely summed up.

Aggressive pragmatism is probably a better way of putting it, now I think about it. I think sometimes people conflate adapting to the opposition with being reactive and negative, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Just now, 80 said:

Aggressive pragmatism is probably a better way of putting it, now I think about it. I think sometimes people conflate adapting to the opposition with being reactive and negative, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Yup, I said when I saw the team he’s picked a team to go at them hard and attack will be the best form of defence. Tino chance when Hall is the one following in on the keeper was proof in the pudding. Likewise Burn on the third. 

One of the main things I’ve enjoyed this season and end of last is one we get the bit between our teeth we go and go again as direct as possible. It’s how football should be played in my eyes. 

Especially when you’re playing teams at the bottom bereft of confidence. It makes the first half v Sheff even more odd in retrospect but given the players we have you have to guess it’s never going to be foolproof.

As an aside, I've had many folk mention that wor Eddie ought to be prepping his tongue to lick FA boots like this inept twat...

image.thumb.png.412b22d8f9ee3e49aa3f7de864e0a046.png

Just now, toon25 said:

As an aside, I've had many folk mention that wor Eddie ought to be prepping his tongue to lick FA boots like this inept twat...

Suffice to say, they can get to absolute fuck.

15 minutes ago, toon25 said:

As an unpatriotic Englishman, I've never seen the great draw of being England manager - for me, it should be your last job before retirement.

But it might hold greater draw for Howe - particularly given the combination of England's current squad (the midfield and attack is like Eddie's dream side I reckon) and the mediocrity of most of the rest of the field.  I do see the appeal of winning a World Cup.

I would still be surprised if he's England manager in August, like.  

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

As an unpatriotic Englishman, I've never seen the great draw of being England manager - for me, it should be your last job before retirement.

But it might hold greater draw for Howe - particularly given the combination of England's current squad (the midfield and attack is like Eddie's dream side I reckon) and the mediocrity of most of the rest of the field.  I do see the appeal of winning a World Cup.

I would still be surprised if he's England manager in August, like.  

I’ve always felt Howe is a club manager and wouldn’t suit international at all. He’s a brilliant mon-fri coach and wouldn’t get enough time with the England squad across a season. 

48 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Fucking loved that he matched up 4-4-2, like. Felt to me he knew we could murder them by going man-for-man.

It's just fun to see it wheeled out as well.

I know it's gone out of fashion but missed the days of wingers getting to the byline putting crosses in and two out-and-out strikers being on the end of them.

6 hours ago, 80 said:

Do we know what happened? I was struggling with connection at that point in the game. Missed the penalty and goal.

Different ways of interpreting today's game. Burnley's predicament kind of reminded me of games we've had i ourselves in years past where we've started with promising huff and puff and frightened a slow starting opposition, before they come back with a bit of ruthless precision and end up absolutely demolishing us. We're extremely effective once we get the bit between our teeth. 

Always enjoy seeing Wilson and Isak on the pitch together. As others have said, I appreciate the proactive pragmatism Eddie's shown in recent games.

Think he was enraged (as we all were) at the lack of punishment for the blatant stamp on Lewis Hall! Should have been a straight red! 

Don't think it was deliberate, would have been a harsh sending off.... however Anderson got a yellow for brushing his finger in someone's face, so something ain't right.

9 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

My biggest big bear with him was a lack of tactical flexibility. 

Shown in recent weeks he’s got different plans and ways to skin a cat

I think it was a valid issue to have but he’s also grown and learned, just like a lot of the players under him.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I know it's gone out of fashion but missed the days of wingers getting to the byline putting crosses in and two out-and-out strikers being on the end of them.

Especially when we get tripps back - the thought of him crossing from the right with this hall and Gordon pairing down the left.

7 hours ago, Jordan said:

I’ve always felt Howe is a club manager and wouldn’t suit international at all. He’s a brilliant mon-fri coach and wouldn’t get enough time with the England squad across a season. 

Agreed- his methods is a slow burner and takes so long to learn.

Did anyone else notice how Hall was moving into CM from left back when Burnley had the ball.

Must be very complicated to coach stuff like that.

14 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

So the Nuremberg trials have been put on hold?

Still stand by my opinion that he was acting clueless and making all kind of weird decicions during a couple of months. But got to give him huge cred for turning it around (like I always thought and hoped he would).

Overall another very impressive season from him considering the circumstances. Hopefully the club will have learned something this season about how to avoid all these injuries.

I enjoy any win we have but we also need a little context on the last two games. We’ve beaten bottom and second from bottom. We’re not really gonna get an easier sequence of games and then if we follow that up like what happened at Crystal Palace, what have we learned? Or has there been that real improvement like it looks on the surface?

No one else think it was another pen when Isak was disco hip bumped off the ball after his miss? I thought that's what VAR was checking for tbh, seemed obvious to me there was no encroachment.

21 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Aye.

Reminded me of an even more blatant one where Shearer missed at Fulham and Goma clattered him going for the rebound. 

Yep me too, similar to what the Chelsea winner got disallowed for v Villa… Which I did think was the right decision but maybe black and white eyes

33 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I enjoy any win we have but we also need a little context on the last two games. We’ve beaten bottom and second from bottom. We’re not really gonna get an easier sequence of games and then if we follow that up like what happened at Crystal Palace, what have we learned? Or has there been that real improvement like it looks on the surface?

Merry Christmas GIF by Storyful

52 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

No one else think it was another pen when Isak was disco hip bumped off the ball after his miss? I thought that's what VAR was checking for tbh, seemed obvious to me there was no encroachment.

Yeah I saw that on MOTD. Commentator mentioned it and then they didn't show it in the replay.