Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 hour ago, Jonas said:

If there's nothing in it financially (bound to be though with the wages) PL ready is better than a risk on someone from overseas, cant really take risks with margins as tight as they are for us anyway, so if that's why they're doing what they're doing I see the logic in it and yet they nailed it with Isak and Bruno

There’s usually something in it financially though. A player from abroad at DCLs age and form rarely moves for close to 40m.  

Is there a premium on English / PL players?

Definitely

Is Howe aware of this?

I think he's a pretty smart bloke - and when it comes to football, I reckon he knows a bit about that too - so definitely

Managers often succeed or fail based on their transfer dealings, given how these influence results - and Howe's have been pretty damn good so far.  @cubaricho absolutely nails it above about raising the 'floor' at the moment instead of the 'ceiling'.

Nothing wrong at all with fans wanting some players, or not wanting others.  No problem with anyone predicting X will be a bad signing.  But I'm more than happy for Howe to bring in the players he wants to improve the squad.  Incidentally, the likes of DCL, Kilman and Trafford - if they came in - would all strengthen the squad IMO.  Kelly has improved the squad - even if he isn't a world-beater.  Same goes for selling the likes of Minteh etc - a completely unproven -player who was bought (as far as I can tell) to sell for profit.  To be brutally honest, I'm ok with Howe selling any member of the squad (even Isak, though Jesus wept that would hurt!) if he thinks it would improve the team or squad.  I do think that the interests of the club are now dictating transfer policy, not lining a fat man's pockets.

18 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Definitely

Is Howe aware of this?

I think he's a pretty smart bloke - and when it comes to football, I reckon he knows a bit about that too - so definitely

Managers often succeed or fail based on their transfer dealings, given how these influence results - and Howe's have been pretty damn good so far.  @cubaricho absolutely nails it above about raising the 'floor' at the moment instead of the 'ceiling'.

Nothing wrong at all with fans wanting some players, or not wanting others.  No problem with anyone predicting X will be a bad signing.  But I'm more than happy for Howe to bring in the players he wants to improve the squad.  Incidentally, the likes of DCL, Kilman and Trafford - if they came in - would all strengthen the squad IMO.  Kelly has improved the squad - even if he isn't a world-beater.  Same goes for selling the likes of Minteh etc - a completely unproven -player who was bought (as far as I can tell) to sell for profit.  To be brutally honest, I'm ok with Howe selling any member of the squad (even Isak, though Jesus wept that would hurt!) if he thinks it would improve the team or squad.  I do think that the interests of the club are now dictating transfer policy, not lining a fat man's pockets.

No real disagreements here. I think the broader point is if Stavely and PIF want to move into the bracket of big boy clubs, they'll need to become savvier (broader in their geographic scope) at some point. Domestic buys are too costly and PSR has real consequences flowing therefrom

41 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Definitely

Is Howe aware of this?

Am I wrong in thinking we used the last two windows to improve the squad? I was personally hoping this time around we’d be focussing on the starting 11. 

maybe we only need to buy a starting right winger? The rest can be backup players. 

Cant even do some player trading in close season despite the club having a very good record at it and despite him being our best manager in 20years without the claws coming out.

Already dreading not being 1-0 up against Southampton after 15minutes.

Edited by Jonas

2 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

Am I wrong in thinking we used the last two windows to improve the squad? I was personally hoping this time around we’d be focussing on the starting 11. 

maybe we only need to buy a starting right winger? The rest can be backup players. 

Wait until 1st September would be my thinking.  No idea who'll end up in and out of the club.

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Wait until 1st September would be my thinking.  No idea who'll end up in and out of the club.

I wasn’t trying to be an arse with the comment about the RW starter and the rest back ups, btw. Maybe it is all we need. 

1 minute ago, Weezertron said:

I wasn’t trying to be an arse with the comment about the RW starter and the rest back ups, btw. Maybe it is all we need. 

Sorry mate, didn't think you were :) - just think that there's plenty of time to get one in.  I agree re a RW

His biggest mistake in Bournemouth was signing bang  players English players for a lot of money and so far when you follow who we are currently linked with it seems to be the same pattern, lets hope come the end of the window we are proven wrong.

Edited by Newcastle Fan

8 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

His biggest mistake in Bournemouth was signing bang average players English players for a lot of money and so far when you follow who we are currently linked with it seems to be the same pattern, lets hope come the end of the window we are proven wrong.

tripps, gordon, barnes, tino... even hall.

certainly not bang average.

ashby ffp flip attempt?

burn and  targett were neccessary at the time.

Edited by huss9

11 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

His biggest mistake in Bournemouth was signing bang average players English players for a lot of money and so far when you follow who we are currently linked with it seems to be the same pattern, lets hope come the end of the window we are proven wrong.

Yeah, I agree. He was really bad for Bournemouth. I'm sure they wish they'd never had anything to do with him.

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

agree its a ridicuous analysis of our policy.

where do you think some fans are getting this idea?

I'm not sure. Even historically, if you look at Newcastle, our 'best' teams have always been British core with extra special FORRIN lads. People just like to worry and complain. 

17 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Other than Jordon Ibe, name one poor British signing (in the context of value for money at the time of signing from a Bournemouth perspective).

2 minutes ago, OCK said:

I'm not sure. Even historically, if you look at Newcastle, our 'best' teams have always been British core with extra special FORRIN lads. People just like to worry and complain. 

I think we have that balance already, we don't need to be seeking either way for the sake of it. 

What we do need to do is trade very smartly, which usually means looking abroad for players.

6 hours ago, Upthemags said:

No real disagreements here. I think the broader point is if Stavely and PIF want to move into the bracket of big boy clubs, they'll need to become savvier (broader in their geographic scope) at some point. Domestic buys are too costly and PSR has real consequences flowing therefrom

Which deals haven't been savvy?

We pounced for Gordon when Everton were desperate for cash, now £45m looks like a bargain. Kelly has joined on a free. DCL we've tracked for 2 years, now we seem to be making a move as he reaches the last year on his contract. 

11 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Other than Jordon Ibe, name one poor British signing (in the context of value for money at the time of signing from a Bournemouth perspective).

Benik Afobe, David Brooks, Chris Mepham, i would argue even Dom Solanke was a poor signing at the time and he's only had his first good season in the premier league last year.

3 hours ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Benik Afobe, David Brooks, Chris Mepham, i would argue even Dom Solanke was a poor signing at the time and he's only had his first good season in the premier league last year.

No idea about him.

Brooks was good before his cancer, then had a decent season in the championship. Mepham is a bit meh but Solanke is a good player.

All those signings were relatively cheap for the PL as well.