Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

12 hours ago, KaKa said:

Considering the emphasis on pressing and how happy they were with the job Joelinton did with it, I imagine they're going to love Almiron as well because of his huge energy levels and effort tracking and closing down. Be really interesting to see the side that gets picked.

No denying Almiron works his socks off, but if he's starting with Joelinton, that gives you two forwards who don't really score goals. 

9 minutes ago, TRon said:

No denying Almiron works his socks off, but if he's starting with Joelinton, that gives you two forwards who don't really score goals. 

Agreed, but disagree - as from what we are seeing and, in the brentford game - seen - most of the players (bar one or two) are playing in their 'best' position, and haven't been at full match fitness.

I remember seeing one of the earlier games on TV and thinking Joel looked a bit 'poddgy' - now he's looking a whole lot better.

Nothing more needs to be said.

26 minutes ago, TRon said:

Two forwards who didn't score goals under Bruce, in his deplorable system.

8 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Wilson aside, we had a whole fucking team that didn't score goals under Bruce.

Clean slate for all.

Oh without a doubt everyone deserves a fresh start. Both Joelinton and Almiron will be brilliant for Howe's pressing game, so I think he'll be very happy with them on that score, but I still don't think they are natural goalscorers. That said, I do think with some confidence building and direction from Howe, Joelinton especially can get a good few more than he has under Bruce. Even 8-10 goals in a season from someone like that could make a massive difference.

16 hours ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Compare and contrast to this one from pre season:

The pace of training in that July 2021 video is so unbelievably slow, fucking hell. Barely breaking a jog.

Think having such a young English manager that is so energetic and driven is just really good for Shelvey, and should really help motivate him, because he just really seems to need someone that has that kind of energy to help get him fired up. Really good to see it's having that kind of impact on him.

51 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Think having such a young English manager that is so energetic and driven is just really good for Shelvey, and should really help motivate him, because he just really seems to need someone that has that kind of energy to help get him fired up. Really good to see it's having that kind of impact on him.

Happy to be proven wrong, but I'm dubious to think he's a reformed character or should have a future here beyond this season. Fantastic performance last out, and hope it continues but...

Howe is not the first to throw an arm round his shoulder and publicly tell him how talented he is. Monk, Laudrup, Rodgers, and even Rafa all offered him the world, before he eventually let down by him. 

Bournemouth's last season up, remember Howe constantly playing Phil Billing, and whenever I watched them he was just treading water, immobile and being run ragged in midfield.

Shelvey has always had ability, if we can get him focused that will raise performances, but he's physically and defensivly always going to let us down.

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

And having a manager that Shelvey knows can build a system around his skill set rather than just throw him into a CM position and a pat on the back.

14 minutes ago, Abra Dubravka said:

Happy to be proven wrong, but I'm dubious to think he's a reformed character or should have a future here beyond this season. Fantastic performance last out, and hope it continues but...

Howe is not the first to throw an arm round his shoulder and publicly tell him how talented he is. Monk, Laudrup, Rodgers, and even Rafa all offered him the world, before he eventually let down by him. 

Bournemouth's last season up, remember Howe constantly playing Phil Billing, and whenever I watched them he was just treading water, immobile and being run ragged in midfield.

Shelvey has always had ability, if we can get him focused that will raise performances, but he's physically and defensivly always going to let us down.

Howe is not throwing an arm around his shoulder. That is more Bruce's approach and for someone like Shelvey I think it's the worst thing to do, as it allows him to coast.

Sounds more like Howe is challenging him and demanding more from him because he knows he has the talent, and he is letting Shelvey know he is nowhere near maximising it.

18 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Howe is not throwing an arm around his shoulder. That is more Bruce's approach and for someone like Shelvey I think it's the worst thing to do, as it allows him to coast.

Sounds more like Howe is challenging him and demanding more from him because he knows he has the talent, and he is letting Shelvey know he is nowhere near maximising it.

Agreed, arm round the shoulder was used more turn of phrase on my part there. Howe will no doubt, like you say demanding performances and application from him. 

Hopefully it does click for him, not many players in the league have the technique in passing range he does, but just think it's come 3/4 years too late for him.

He looked finally what we always thought under Rafa 17/18, playing in a two, but he let himself slide again. Years on now, he's physically gone I think, and has never in his career had any sense positionally in defensive transition. 

Any side in league should be looking at isolating that space behind him, and be running at our defence. Countless goals have come that route under Bruce, that will always be a weakness even under Howe

He's better than what we ever saw him with Bruce and Bruceball, but it does speak to him and many other players they have it within themselves to be that consistently shit for over 3 season.

Edited by Abra Dubravka

28 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Feeling sorry for Eddie right now. Being stuck in a hotel room for 10 days must be a nightmare. It's okay being stuck in your own home, but a hotel room?

Room service, never have to wash a dish or change a bed, all the internet you need, every TV channel you could possibly need.

Never have to worry about it being warm enough. You can have breakfast, dinner and lunch....in bed !

Lucky bloody Eddie :D

Guest reefatoon
44 minutes ago, Dancing Brave said:

Room service, never have to wash a dish or change a bed, all the internet you need, every TV channel you could possibly need.

Never have to worry about it being warm enough. You can have breakfast, dinner and lunch....in bed !

Lucky bloody Eddie :D

after reading that, I’m shocked Bruce didn’t “test positive” every week. 

I'm fairly sure he will be at the Jesmond Dene Hotel, it seemed like Staveleys preferred lodging.

There is a good chance that Mehrdad and Staveley are there with him.

I don't think our new owners have a permenant house up here yet.