Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

7 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

5 years in the PL with Bournemouth.

So most of his games against top managers have been with a relatively weak squad, where his team would be expected to lose.

Even with us he's still going up against someone that's been able to refine their squad and influence their style over a long period, all while spending big money.

Two recent fixtures, three if you count Emery (some would) as top managers. First game we were lethal. Second against the best, they respected the fuck out of us to play that way and we kept it at 1 - 0. Third, we should've won, but small margins and this level.

Which ever way you look at it, worst case is he's not very far off a Pep or Klopp.

Both Pep and Klopp out game-planned him. One done it how he set his team up before the match and the other during the match. Howe had no answer for both. Those subs today were brainless and anyone who doesnt agree needs their head checked. 

2 hours ago, Dokko said:

I've never been a fan of his subs. Too late and like for like for most part, so was excited for this season for him to have a bench to work with, to see if that was the problem. That and his lack of rotation would be forced upon him due to additional games.

Be interesting to see what he does next. He'll be mad as fuck, but isn't the type to dig his players out in front of the cameras. They'll find out how well they played in the dressing room and in training till next weekend.

Sometimes you learn more from the setbacks than you do the wins. I think we can turn the last couple of defeats into positives with reactions from the players, maybe even an unexpected transfer from the board. Mind, someone needs to find out what's going on in Bruno's head as he's just not started this campaign, that and him snapping on SM, makes me think he's not 100% happy. 

Overall shit day, but Eddie is the man to get us back on track. He's brought us back from far worse than this and got us far higher than anyone ever expected. I understand emotions are running high, but the reaction on here towards him is getting close to the entitled shame we said go ourselves we wouldn't be like.

The subs were bizarre today but for me we not the reason we lost. We should have killed the game off long before they came on - if Miggy's shot goes in it is a different result.  The two goals were errors - Botman was just unlucky for the 1st. The second Bruno gave the ball away far too cheaply. Both finishes clinical. 

10 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Like Howe losing to Klopp and Guardiola over the last couple of seasons proves anything man. Both these clubs were in the Champions League final over the last two years. We were in the relegation zone two years ago. 

^^^^^^^

I absolutely love him, but taking Gordon off was the wrong call. He'll learn from this and we'll be all the better for it. 

Eddie Howe's black and white army! 

Edited by NEEJ
Excessive use of absolutely

1 minute ago, NEEJ said:

I absolutely love him, but taking Gordon off was the wrong call. He'll learn from this and we'll be all the better for it. 

But it wasn''t the reason we lost.

Howe has everything to prove in terms of reaching the same level as Pep and Klopp, but so does every other manager in the top 8, honestly. Maybe to varying extents, but none would fall in the truly elite bracket at this moment in time in my opinion, in terms of what they have demonstrated in the game. Also worth keeping in mind that there is a lot of scepticism surrounding Klopp's current Liverpool side and their potential to emulate previous successes.

What that means for Howe is that increased attention and scrutiny will come his way as we look to progress. That's inevitable, even if we as a fanbase are able maintain a united front in terms of support, appreciation and fervour for everything we are experiencing as a club since the takeover and Howe was appointed. I don't think those discussions should be verboten on a forum like this, but it does seem very premature so early in the season. What we can say for sure is that we couldn't have wished for a better manager from October 21 onwards, and that there really remains every reason for optimism. 

Edited by Barnes23

25 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

I've got to give you credit for being absolutely relentless in ignoring the crucial context here.

What context have I missed? 

My opinion has been fairly consistent: he’s really good, but his record in big pressure matches and matches against the bigger sides is mixed. I therefore concluded that he appears not to be the man for the big occasion. I don’t think it’s as outrageous a view as you think it is, but that’s the beauty of diversity of opinion. I hope you “win” this argument and I’m proved totally wrong; I fear I shan’t be. 

This does not ignore the magnificent job he has done, this acknowledges the reality of what football now is and where our ambitions are being literally directed by those who own the institution. 

I understand that you think it’s knee-jerk, that’s fine. But I’m not entitled, ignorant, childish etc; I just have a different opinion to yours and I’m happy to debate it in a peaceful manner. 

18 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

And compounded by taking off Tonali and replacing him with an even less effective Longstaff. 

I think the giveaway is that the players visibly panicked, withdrew into their own half and couldn’t pass to one another. That shows a mentality issue, which is the manager’s domain. 

Some big questions for him, let’s hope he answers them. Blaspheme, blaspheme!

I'll counter what criticism I've sent his way by saying his dismantling of Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs, and Brighton at home are up there with the finest displays I've ever seen from a Newcastle side (albeit all at home). Therefore I more or less disagree with @Theregulars ;)

So many reactions are just always so over the top. Longstaff was deemed a vital player couple of months ago and now after 56 minutes this season I’ve read that we can’t afford to play him against the better sides. :lol:

51 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

My opinion has been fairly consistent: he’s really good, but his record in big pressure matches and matches against the bigger sides is mixed. I therefore concluded that he appears not to be the man for the big occasion. I don’t think it’s as outrageous a view as you think it is, but that’s the beauty of diversity of opinion. I hope you “win” this argument and I’m proved totally wrong; I fear I shan’t be. 

This does not ignore the magnificent job he has done, this acknowledges the reality of what football now is and where our ambitions are being literally directed by those who own the institution. 

I understand that you think it’s knee-jerk, that’s fine. But I’m not entitled, ignorant, childish etc; I just have a different opinion to yours and I’m happy to debate it in a peaceful manner. 

The context that a number of people and myself have pointed out about the relative strengths of the squads. It is pretty much the most important context needed. Fine having a peaceful argument but you are just being willfully obtuse here by ignoring that massive elephant in the room, and it's making your argument that much flimsier.

6 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Anyone who thinks our squad is comparable to theirs needs their head checked.

It’s a fair point, mind. Bringing Nunez and Jota on ffs; imagine having that as an option. Unbelievable.

On the other hand, it was very clear we needed an accomplished wide attacker and / or creative midfielder and a starting LB in the summer and we haven’t landed those improvements. It’s difficult to know who to blame for that but it’s a question that needs to be asked when all the teams around us, including Villa, have identified where they needed to improve and been successful.

2 hours ago, jack j said:

Stuff like this makes me laugh thesedays

Used to get so angry at twitter and the likes then you realise people are just fucking idiots

I genuinely think it's far more serious than that, and is actually a form of some type of mental illness.

3 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

It’s a fair point, mind. Bringing Nunez and Jota on ffs; imagine having that as an option. Unbelievable.

On the other hand, it was very clear we needed an accomplished wide attacker and / or creative midfielder and a starting LB in the summer and we haven’t landed those improvements. It’s difficult to know who to blame for that but it’s a question that needs to be asked when all the teams around us, including Villa, have identified where they needed to improve and been successful.

One lad here said he was scared of Nunez.  He was right. Not sure the Mags are a finished product. No worry though, full steam ahead.

Let's get things in reality, that first goal they scored, it bounced off Botman's heel freakishly and fell perfectly for Nunez it's not a regular occurance, really unique it just clipped of his heel perfectly for their striker.

Then, it was a PERFECT finish from an amazing player.

After that happened anything happens.

Eddie was brill the game plan was working perfectly

This could be a huge blessing is disguise, early in the season, Eddie will take a lot from this.

If that ball lands on the side of Botman's heel and goes off a bit in the other direction, none of this happens.

7 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Everyone on here loves Eddie, that’s a given. But today really needs to be a catalyst for being ruthless and admitting that front 3 doesn’t work, namely because Almirón despite his efforts isn’t good enough for the level we need to maintain and the midfield is simply too flat. Maddison was the player we desperately needed and whatever reason we didn’t prioritise him.

I agree with the comment, and just want to add that I think the "reason" was Maddison being on 170k a week at Spurs.

FFP likely also cost us one of Szobo and Diaby. FFP mean less quality on the pitch, and quality on the pitch decided yesterday's game.

This does not mean Howe could have set up better in the second half. His subs are one-dimensional and "have a try to please everyone" preprogrammed feel about them. Even if the plan is "use 90 mins of energy in 60 mins and get replaced", that's still one-dimensional. This match was a classic example of a team failing to properly manage what was a very favourable game state. There was a flukey, run-of-the-ball aspect to it, but a strong bench and a man advantage for over 60 minutes should do better when a goal up to overcome the randomness that will always be present in football matches.

Slighty worrying that some teams seems to completly neuter our attacking play. Really need to have a better option up front when teams dont play a high defensive line.

Yesterday was still a freak result though. Two individual mistakes and two moments of absolute worldclass from a guy thats been a flop so far.

For me EH has to learn how to dictate the tempo of a game, teach the players how to keep the ball and tire the opponent out.

In the last 10 minutes where was the midfield protecting the back 4 ?

But EH will learn from this and maybe he’s needs to be more animated on the touchline, as a neutral I like him though.

8 hours ago, Theregulars said:

Tbf as NUFC manager (we were relegation fodder up until last season lets not forget) for the time being at least he's always going to have a "mixed" record against the top sides. In fact most of the other top managers have a mixed record against the other top teams.

However he's still managed to beat Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Villa, Brighton, West Ham in his relatively short time here, all likely to be top 8 this season. Add to those an impressive draw v Man City last season and his record isn't actually too bad. For whatever reason Klopp just has his number.

8 hours ago, WinstonFC said:

Both Pep and Klopp out game-planned him. One done it how he set his team up before the match and the other during the match. Howe had no answer for both. Those subs today were brainless and anyone who doesnt agree needs their head checked. 

I think there'll be plenty reading your posts in this thread who think you're the one who needs their head checked. EH has done a fantastic job for us over the last two years, dragging us out of the relegation zone to become competitors at the other end of the division. It's going to be a few more years before our squad is capable of competing with the likes of Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal etc over the course of a season. Last season we were great, playing out of our skins for large periods - that is not sustainable over multiple seasons, hence people talking about the likes of Mourinho (in his prime) having 3 year cycles at clubs.

9 hours ago, WinstonFC said:

Who the fuck you talking to like that?

6 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I think there'll be plenty reading your posts in this thread who think you're the one who needs their head checked. EH has done a fantastic job for us over the last two years, dragging us out of the relegation zone to become competitors at the other end of the division. It's going to be a few more years before our squad is capable of competing with the likes of Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal etc over the course of a season. Last season we were great, playing out of our skins for large periods - that is not sustainable over multiple seasons, hence people talking about the likes of Mourinho (in his prime) having 3 year cycles at clubs.

I've never said ONCE he hasnt been fantastic. Hes done an unbelievable job. Still doesnt change the fact that both Pep and Klopp out game plan him. Im not blinkered. Why do people have to go on the offensive when others state a small criticism or limitation. On the whole we will be absolutely fine and will win our fair share this season.