Transfer rumours

Yorkie

i don't think a top class target man would make the slightest bit of difference personally, we'd still be lumping it up to a guy 50 yards or whatever from the rest of the team

better to add a couple that are able to transition the ball themselves on the ground supported by almiron, leave the rest of the team defending, and hope that there's enough goals in there

Honestly the target man doesn't even need to be class per se. Just needs to be strong with his hold up and be a good header of the ball in the box.

I think that improves the team overall and allows us to get chances and goals from multiple players.

don't we cross the ball less than anyone else in the division?  and again, we have carroll who has played a fair bit and i don't think we've created a clear headed chance for him in the box in that time, not one that stands out to me

we don't have the players for a hold up game, our CMs aren't up to the cut and thrust of supporting play (shortstaff aside) on the regular so you'd be as well aiming for another ASM or two and hoping they can wreak enough havoc to make a difference as bruce isn't going to coach an improvement to the current setup

We have the least everything from an attacking standpoint because we spend so little time in the opposition's half. I think as a starting point we need someone to hold defenders off and lay the ball off simply to ASM, Miggy or Joelinton.

Once we get up the pitch I think we will at least get some decent crosses into the box occasionally and we need to capitalise. I can't see us using the ball well enough to create as many other types of chances.

That was my thinking around things.

just don't see how it works overall, take manyoo away as an example of us playing ok and getting the ball up early to the strikers and for once we had midfielders willing to get up in support of the attack; go a goal ahead and all looks good until the other team realise that there's a massive gap between the defence (that haven't moved forward with the midfielders) and the midfield who are trying to support the forwards

unless there's a fundamental change in the overall approach nothing matters - reminds me of that merson clip where he said about maguire for england along the lines of "you play CBs in a 3 when they're not good enough to play in a 2" and rafa knew that better than anyone about our CBs and overall team, either be cautious or get killed

we were good end of last season, as i've said, because we were playing through the middle and moving the defence up with the ball so the gap no longer existed and we could defend in the same way just higher up the pitch, this put us in much better areas when we were winning the ball back

steve bruce does not have the nous to see this, under him we'll always sit deep because he'll fear "getting caught in behind" more than anything else being a classic PFM

i don't think a top class target man would make the slightest bit of difference personally, we'd still be lumping it up to a guy 50 yards or whatever from the rest of the team

better to add a couple that are able to transition the ball themselves on the ground supported by almiron, leave the rest of the team defending, and hope that there's enough goals in there

Honestly the target man doesn't even need to be class per se. Just needs to be strong with his hold up and be a good header of the ball in the box.

I think that improves the team overall and allows us to get chances and goals from multiple players.

There's a Venezuelan striker playing for Dalian in the Chinese league who fits that bill perfectly.

I can see Glenn Murray being bought. Even though he’s nearly as old as me, he’s cheap. Ideal deal for Ashley.

What a time to be alive! Match goers have the club they deserve.

Not long ago Murray came out in an interview and said "I am what I am". Seems a perfect fit for Bruce's "it is what it is".  :lol:

“I am what I am,” Murray explains. “I can’t change that. No, sometimes it seems unfashionable and I think it’s unfashionable for an Englishman to be like that but if you have a foreign name – someone like Olivier Giroud – he’s exactly what an archetypal English centre-forward is. He’s big, he’s strong, he holds the ball up, he gets in the box and scores headers and goals. Because he’s got a fancy French name he’s viewed differently to, say, a Troy Deeney.

“With me, and Troy, we’ve come through the divisions, and don’t get me wrong, everyone likes that story. But I think it’s also frowned upon, whereas I think there’s a lot of talent in the lower divisions who can score goals in the Premier League, given the opportunity. And who is the best striker in the Premier League? Harry Kane. And he’s done it. He was obviously at Tottenham during all of it but he went on loan to the lower leagues to learn his trade first.”

I can see Glenn Murray being bought. Even though he’s nearly as old as me, he’s cheap. Ideal deal for Ashley.

What a time to be alive! Match goers have the club they deserve.

If Murray comes in, it will be on Bruce's recommendation. He sounds just the sort of player that the four Steve coaching system could work with.

His English will be top notch and he'll sit down with the Steves in the canteen for a full English.

don't we cross the ball less than anyone else in the division?  and again, we have carroll who has played a fair bit and i don't think we've created a clear headed chance for him in the box in that time, not one that stands out to me

we don't have the players for a hold up game, our CMs aren't up to the cut and thrust of supporting play (shortstaff aside) on the regular so you'd be as well aiming for another ASM or two and hoping they can wreak enough havoc to make a difference as bruce isn't going to coach an improvement to the current setup

We have the least everything from an attacking standpoint because we spend so little time in the opposition's half. I think as a starting point we need someone to hold defenders off and lay the ball off simply to ASM, Miggy or Joelinton.

Once we get up the pitch I think we will at least get some decent crosses into the box occasionally and we need to capitalise. I can't see us using the ball well enough to create as many other types of chances.

That was my thinking around things.

just don't see how it works overall, take manyoo away as an example of us playing ok and getting the ball up early to the strikers and for once we had midfielders willing to get up in support of the attack; go a goal ahead and all looks good until the other team realise that there's a massive gap between the defence (that haven't moved forward with the midfielders) and the midfield who are trying to support the forwards

unless there's a fundamental change in the overall approach nothing matters - reminds me of that merson clip where he said about maguire for england along the lines of "you play CBs in a 3 when they're not good enough to play in a 2" and rafa knew that better than anyone about our CBs and overall team, either be cautious or get killed

we were good end of last season, as i've said, because we were playing through the middle and moving the defence up with the ball so the gap no longer existed and we could defend in the same way just higher up the pitch, this put us in much better areas when we were winning the ball back

steve bruce does not have the nous to see this, under him we'll always sit deep because he'll fear "getting caught in behind" more than anything else being a classic PFM

Well, we're never going to play through the middle with this clown, so that is a complete non starter.

Just seen the Glenn Murray link and that is the absolute kind of thing I was expecting. So humiliating.

It's a waste of time signing a striker anyways.

You're looking at a good couple of months (at least) for them to get up to speed with our front foot all out attacking football