Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Its a better approach to what we’re doing now tbf. If Carr was still here we’d probably have at least one good attacking player

Not Rafa’s fault obviously as he’s not given enough money to get the players he actually wants

Yes, I agree it is a better approach, as we would have a much better first team and squad I would imagine, with better and more exciting talent.

However, because the club could never be bothered to identify the right manager for this approach it has continued to be a mess. Even Rafa being a top manager was not the right man for that approach to buying players.

You only bring Rafa in if you are going to let him get the types of players he wants, and you are willing to support him in that. Otherwise get in a good manager from abroad that is happy to work in a head coaching type role, and is familiar with young players from France.

It's so frustrating that the club continuously put the wrong type of managers in place if they were so married to that method of recruitment.

Timo Werner linked with a move to England, please sell Ashley as this is one player I’d love here.

Liverpool were strongly linked a few months ago. They need another goal scorer outside of Salah so it makes sense.

Do they? doesn't seem like they struggle to score at all. If you can point to anything that they need ( it's minor because they are great team) better CB depth and probably need to bleed Fabinho and Keita into the team more as eventually you probably need to move on from Milner and Henderson as there's probably a ceiling there.

But goalscoring? doesn't seem like an issue to me.

I think Mane and Firmino are very inconsistent goal scorers. If Salah for any reason has to miss a number of games, I think it would be really evident.

Guest Howaythetoon

Its a better approach to what we’re doing now tbf. If Carr was still here we’d probably have at least one good attacking player

Not Rafa’s fault obviously as he’s not given enough money to get the players he actually wants

Rafa was more than happy to have Carr as a scout and Carr more than happy to work with Rafa, with Rafa having the final say of course. But Ashley thought differently. As a result we have no full-time scouts, it’s Rafa, his staff and his extensive database which he owns and runs we rely solely on for scouting. All vetted by Ashley of course and is limited to whatever funds are made available in terms of fees and wages. Rafa has complete control over buys in terms of nationality and age, but that’s about it.

Ideally, Carr would have been retained and worked alongside Rafa, but once Ashley was forced to concede control of buys in terms of nationality, age and markets we looked at to keep Rafa as manager after relegation, Carr become just another waste of a salary.

Guest covmag

Rafa was more than happy to have Carr as a scout and Carr more than happy to work with Rafa, with Rafa having the final say of course. But Ashley thought differently. As a result we have no full-time scouts, it’s Rafa, his staff and his extensive database which he owns and runs we rely solely on for scouting. All vetted by Ashley of course and is limited to whatever funds are made available in terms of fees and wages. Rafa has complete control over buys in terms of nationality and age, but that’s about it.

Ideally, Carr would have been retained and worked alongside Rafa, but once Ashley was forced to concede control of buys in terms of nationality, age and markets we looked at to keep Rafa as manager after relegation, Carr become just another waste of a salary.

I actually think Carr is a miss

L’Équipe report that Premier League side Newcastle United have had a bid worth around €8m rejected by Rennes for left-sided French youth international Faitout Maouassa.

The 20-year-old is currently on loan at Nîmes, but has struggled for playing time. The Magpies are not alone in their interest, with OGC Nice having made a formal enquiry for the former Nancy man 3 weeks ago over a possible transfer.

However, Rennes refused to play ball, and Les Aiglons moved on to other targets. Newcastle’s offer had been on SRFC President Olivier Létang’s desk for several days before today, with the north English side aware of the competition for Maouassa, and their offer was reportedly conditioned on the entire fee being paid immediately, which seems surprising owing to NUFC’s current financial situation.

In any case, it was not enough to convince Rennes, who rejected the offer and view the player to have considerable potential. Maouassa has however always wanted a move to the Premier League, but his camp finds the timing a little difficult to stomach.

This is because Maouassa wants to make the France U21s squad for this summer’s European Championships, and he believes he is more likely to achieve that with consistent playing time at Nîmes in the 2nd half of this campaign than with a move to the Premier League and no guaranteed starting XI spot.

As it stands, it is difficult to see how Rennes will let go of the versatile youngster this month.

agree. Carr got way to much stick, his hit rate for transfers was actually really good, and he was working under massive constraints. You can see how hard it is for Rafa, and then see what Carr managed to do with fuck all money,

He got us Schteve too, remember.

agree. Carr got way to much stick, his hit rate for transfers was actually really good, and he was working under massive constraints. You can see how hard it is for Rafa, and then see what Carr managed to do with fuck all money,

Carr identified some really good players, but we didn't sign his prime targets, some of whom have gone on to be world class players ( assuming our interest was genuine). Ashley has lost the club a fortune by refusing to sanction £20m signings like Plea, Aubemyang and Lacazette.

Guest covmag

Carr identified some really good players, but we didn't sign his prime targets, some of whom have gone on to be world class players ( assuming our interest was genuine). Ashley has lost the club a fortune by refusing to sanction £20m signings like Plea, Aubemyang and Lacazette.

Carr is severely underrated on here, we really miss him on the recruitment side imho, needed someone to REALLY back him.

Carr is severely underrated on here, we really miss him on the recruitment side imho, needed someone to REALLY back him.

Carr was really good and was working well with the connections we had made with agents in France.

However, when he was finally given the chance and choice to bring in a manager to work with the players he was bringing in, what did he do?

He went and brought in Steve McLaren ... and that was the end of any chance we had of making the system work.

When it really came down to it he messed up his biggest recruitment decision, which was picking his own manager.

If he had got that remotely right, we would have been in a much better situation right now.

Yeah that was really fucked up, though I'm thinking it was more nepotism than bad judgement as SM was his friend wasn't he? Still a big fuck up though.

Yes, it clearly was, and in a way that makes it even worse.

He would have had a good knowledge of all the French managers or those that had done well in that league with French players. it was unacceptable for him to then go and bring in McLaren. It has killed us.

You only have to look at someone like Puel, who didn't even come in from a top team in France, to see what could have been. It was an incredibly unfortunate decision.

You could just not give your scout the decision to choose your manager like :lol:

Carr was really more of the head of recruitment, so it was closer to a DOF role. I don't think it was a bad call asking him to choose his manager.

Choose the man you think can best manage the types of players you are bringing in. I think that's fair enough.

Instead the joker went and brought in his friend, which is just criminal. Ideally someone more senior at the club should have had him justifying that choice, which clearly wasn't the case.

You could just not give your scout the decision to choose your manager like :lol:

Carr was really more of the head of recruitment, so it was closer to a DOF role. I don't think it was a bad call asking him to choose his manager.

Choose the man you think can best manage the types of players you are bringing in. I think that's fair enough.

Instead the joker went and brought in his friend, which is just criminal. Ideally someone more senior at the club should have had him justifying that choice, which clearly wasn't the case.

Tbf it's not terribly difficult to justify bringing in the former England manager, who then went on to win the league with Twente in the Netherlands. You either accept his choice or decline it, asking him to justify it is silly because that indicates you can be convinced, and he could make a strong argument if you let him.

Yes, well I mentioned that only because I felt it wasn't really a choice that could be justified, but perhaps you are right, and so it should have been flatly declined really.

Yeah, I was probably being overly pedantic. I think we're probably all just worn out and at the end of our collective tethers right now. :lol: