Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Guest chopey

Zombie club loses player, management does nothing, Bruce knows hes gone soon so just let's a great young geordie leave, aye he loves the club alright, his dad used to support us ya knaa

He absolutely should be staying, there's plenty other young English players who've played less games who will be on more than £15k/week at other clubs, it's a joke of an offer.

Think he will stay. Suspect this has got leaked right now by someone trying to expedite the takeover

Oh no! Young starlet.. *checks notes* Matthew Longstaff is about to leave them for Udinese if we don't get this sorted. It's time to get serious!

Think he will stay. Suspect this has got leaked right now by someone trying to expedite the takeover

More likely agent driven having told him that there are Championship and League 1 players being paid significantly more than he is.

Guest Howaythetoon

He’s noted enough anyway for a post takeover NUFC, I mean Grealish will struggle to get regular games when he comes...

In all seriousness, he’s too good for Ashley/Bruce’s NUFC and more and more British players should go abroad to brooding their experiences. Good luck to the lad.

We've signed better midfielders than him under Ashley.

Yeah I don't really get why people rate him so highly either, but I guess under the current regime, giving away homegrown talent isn't really sensible.

He's a Watford type player, never going to be part of the big 6.

Letting him go is quite obviously ridiculous for several reasons. Nufc.com summed it up perfectly:

Whether the takeover paralysis has played any part in Matty's unfolding contract situation is unclear, but it does look to be the same muddled thinking that has made our recruitment policy so inconsistent.

The failure of our Academy to develop young English talent meant that we once bought in Jermaine Jenas and Darren Ambrose - and a continuation of that issue resulted in our taking a punt on Jacob Murphy.

Through the Academy then comes Matty, who quickly moves up to the reserve side and more than holds his own, before jumping straight into the Premier League without a loan move to a smaller club.

Rather than fatten up the golden goose to make a killing in a couple of years though, it seems that we lack the belief, desire or talent to actually fashion our raw material into something more valuable.

Almost inevitably we'll spend money on a replacement signing and pay him more, but get less value for money and end up recouping a fraction of the outlay.

Conversely, the extra benefit of having a hometown player in the side rather than some imported mercenary has always been persuasive for us, but that hardly came to pass with Killingworth's own Jack Colback did it? Local isn't always better, but potential is beyond geography.

In terms of a knock-on effect on younger players joining the Academy or staying, Matty's likely loss arguably makes the argument to join United stronger: unlike previous times, there is a route to senior football from Little Benton - it's just not the Newcastle first team....

If you're just a breeding ground for other clubs though, what's the point in funding an Academy? Better then just to take other people's players - or borrow them.

Like much of what has happened at Newcastle since 2007, it's difficult to see what the point is - another reason that we desperately need a change of ownership, regardless of the merits or otherwise of the Saudis.

Matty might still leave under a different administration, but you'd like to that it was a measured decision and part of a coherent strategy. There's precious little evidence of that currently.

At 19/20 and scoring goals? Twice as many as our record signing, joint 2nd top goal scorer.  :lol: (god it’s tragic)

It’s not player now I’m worried about losing for free, it’s what he becomes in the future. We also can’t go out and buy 24 foreign superstars. We need home and grub grown players in the squad. It could be years before we get anything as good as the longstaffs coming through. 

At 19/20 and scoring goals? Twice as many as our record signing, joint 2nd top goal scorer.  :lol: (god it’s tragic)

It’s not player now I’m worried about losing for free, it’s what he becomes in the future. We also can’t go out and buy 24 foreign superstars. We need home and grub grown players in the squad. It could be years before we get anything as good as the longstaffs coming through. 

I don't think Matty or Sean will be superstars.

So we should let them go for free?

Guest neesy111

Doesn't matter, you still need squad players.

We're using Joelinton as a barometer?  :lol:

He's scored once.

We're using Joelinton as a barometer?  :lol:

He's scored once.

I know, but it’s all we’ve currently got to go off.  :lol: But the entire squad isn’t doing much better if he ties in 2nd with only a handful of games.

His minutes to goals (Goals against top opposition) is probably the best we’ve got and we’re chucking him out on a free and people are happy enough because he won’t reach Messi levels anyway.

So we should let them go for free?

Not bothered. We've offered Matty 15k p/w, he's only started 6 league games. If someone's willing to pay double that then fair play to him if he can get it.

He looks decent but that's about it.

Come on now. He's scored 2 goals  :lol:

Personally,  I don't think £15K a week is a joke, thought it might be a tad higher at £20K a week, but certainly don't think it's a disgraceful offer.

If someone is preparing to offer £30k, the club has to bid the same to keep him like, can’t stay out of loyalty alone.

Even so, I wouldn't be surprised if the loyalty would allow them to meet somewhere in the middle. But that's this club all over; they either threw the £15k offer down and said take or leave it or he had to fight just to get them up to that amount. Considering how long these 'talks' have rumbled on I'm sure that compromise could've been reached long before the £30k offer even came in to tempt him.