Newcastle United 0 - 3 Chelsea (30/10/21)

Disco

Guest neesy111
14 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Shite result.

Pro's: Fitness levels are a lot better

Cons: Maybe they focused so much on fitness that they forgot attacking movement?

I'm not sure on the fitness levels.

Just now, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

Well we were blowing out our arses after 10 minutes v. Spurs! 

Aye dropped off after about 55-60 mins today,  so hopefully by the time the international break finishes we should be able to play for 90 mins

37 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

Almiron runs around a lot, no end product at all. Schar cant defend and completely undisciplined. Fernandez old and slow. Willock, have you seen him play this season? Lewis fuck knoiws what's wrong with him and Joe Linton well nobody'd defending him I hope. That's the reality.

miggy at least gets us up the pitch and can chase down players. chelsea were just jogging past longstaff today.

fernandez old and slow but experienced and a leader. clark is just old and slow.

schar is decent on the right of the 3 as he can play/pass it out.

lewis has pace and can run. cant tackle or attack better than ritchie? he isnt any worse.

willock has shown what he's capable of - ryan fraser hasnt.

yeah joelinton is shite - i'll give u that one.

A quite good park-the-megabus for 65 minutes against a weakened Chelsea with no Lukaku, who'd also gone to penalties on Tuesday. Completely hopeless once it was 0-1. No energy, application, or change in tactics. It still looked 5-3-2 after the subs. A waste, because had it finished say 0-2 with a bit of resistance and a decent chance or two, you could have said we'd put up a fight and come out with positives. As it was, all we achieved was "bend don't break", followed by collapse.

The system doesn't work and needs a complete overhaul. I don't get the "what did you expect?" type derision, because Graeme Jones arrived at the club with universal hype as a brilliant coach and was involved in the England setup. Whatever his real ability, that was very poor yesterday and last week, and he needs replacing pronto. As a personal gripe, I cannot remember Fraser doing anything especially positive in these two games, and that means we are effectively playing only two attacking players.

3 minutes ago, GWN said:

Watch Matt Ritchie for the first 2 goals .

there’s one of the fucking problems 

3 CBs and you’ve still got the full back in the middle of the six yard box creating a mess and leaving his man unmarked. Desperation defending versus organised defending. 

11 minutes ago, alijmitchell said:

A back 4 with schar, Fernandez, dummett and manquillo would be better. Just tell dummett to defend, belt it up the line or pass it to Schar 

Even a back 5 with Manquillo, Schar, Fernandez, Dummett, Lewis would be better.

I advocated playing Ritchie and Murphy as wing backs last season because it gave us more goal threat, and it worked. But it only worked because we had those 3 playing CB. Now we’ve got Clark and Krafth in there we’re fucked regardless of who else plays

Again, probably one of the worst performances I’ve seen from us, to not be able to or unwilling to pass the ball for more than a few passes to feet at this level is criminal and they all want shot with shit, we know under Bruce they didn’t train much, but for fuck sake they are so-called professional footballers. In the last decade I’ve watched a higher standard of football played at lower league and with my boy’s under 8s. I’d get rid of 95% of them, including Jones who is in a difficult situation, but that lineup and the way we ‘played’ is as bad as anything under Bruce. 

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Going with a back five v Chelsea was the right thing to do, but it requires the players in front of them to do their jobs as well. Longstaff was absolutely appalling for a couple of the goals.

I didn’t see the game live but I’ve watched the highlights and it looks every bit as bad as it sounds. However, the omission of Almiron and then playing ASM centrally means there’s never an out-ball and that can make your midfielders look a lot shitter than they are.
Chelsea press aggressively so you’ve got a couple of seconds max to make a decision and pick a pass, but with no options around you, you’re fucked! 
It’s years of bad coaching and poor motivation and it makes us so easy to play against. 
I actually have some sympathy for Longstaff. He’s not good enough but he’s being made to look worse than he is in this team right now.

Edited by Holmesy

Centre of our defense is the weakest point. Lascelles Clark and Hayden just can't control or pass the ball. The only thing they do is play it square, backwards or hoof it. Even with space in front of them when they get the ball, they don't move into the space, all they want to do is get rid of it. At least with Schar and Fernandez in there you have players who can pass the ball. Clark and Lascelles are just old fashioned centre halves and don't fit the modern game

We got turned over by one of the best reserve sides in Europe. Hardly unexpected. Appoint a new manager, forget about it and move on. Scab a draw v Brighton and hope we have something up our sleeves for when Brentford come round. 

Again, it wasn’t the result that’s concerning - it was as expected. It was the performance! The team selection didn’t help but the lack of movement, motivation, energy, fitness etc. suggest there’s a lot of work to do to turn this around. Fundamental stuff seems to have been coached out of these players.

We got turned over by one of the best sides in Europe. Hardly unexpected. Appoint a new manager, forget about it and move on. Scab a draw v Brighton and hope we have something up our sleeves for when Brentford come round. 

Funny you mention Brentford, they actually showed exactly how you should play against a Chelsea team (at full strength). Yes they got beat, but actually had Chelsea on the ropes for large periods of the game. You cannot allow teams of the quality Chelsea have, to practically walk unchallenged up to your box and then have the space to pick a pass at will. The top teams nearly always find a way in the end.

13 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Funny you mention Brentford, they actually showed exactly how you should play against a Chelsea team (at full strength). Yes they got beat, but actually had Chelsea on the ropes for large periods of the game. You cannot allow teams of the quality Chelsea have, to practically walk unchallenged up to your box and then have the space to pick a pass at will. The top teams nearly always find a way in the end.

Bang on , however Rafa did this a lot don’t forget . It’s ugly but we are in an ugly position.

46 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Even a back 5 with Manquillo, Schar, Fernandez, Dummett, Lewis would be better.

I advocated playing Ritchie and Murphy as wing backs last season because it gave us more goal threat, and it worked. But it only worked because we had those 3 playing CB. Now we’ve got Clark and Krafth in there we’re fucked regardless of who else plays

Oh I agree we didn't play our best personnel, Schar and Fernandez should be two if the first two names on the team sheet. 

Chelsea were without their focal point, Lukaku so were always going to rely on midfield runners. Its alright having your defence sit deep to squeeze the space in behind, but then you're relying on your full backs and midfield to press and track, which they stopped doing the more tired they got.

Playing Schar at the back would of give us the option of springing attacks with his passing range. Fernandez is a rock at the back also lascelles Clark krafth are really poor defenders at this level. And I thought frazer actually was one of our better players yesterday even though we were poor. 

17 hours ago, Away Toon said:

There is a lot of shit posted in here obviously by people who haven't watched us play for the last couple of seasons. If they had they were stop talking about picking our better players as if Almiron, Lewis, Schar, Fernandez, Willock, joe fucking Linton are better than who we have starting. They aren't. We have one good player Wilson, and one who might be good ASM if he could be arsed.

Your joking right? So your telling me Ritchie playing at left back is better than Lewis or Dummett in that position. And krafth the right back is better than Schar or Fernandez at centrehalf. And that almiron and willock aren't good players either it seems you haven't watched us play for the last couple of seasons lad. 

10 minutes ago, andycap said:

Playing Schar at the back would of give us the option of springing attacks with his passing range. Fernandez is a rock at the back also lascelles Clark krafth are really poor defenders at this level. And I thought frazer actually was one of our better players yesterday even though we were poor. 

Considering we almost always hit a long ‘pass’ out of defence, you’d think Schar would be worth a try.