How would you rank the current PL Managers?

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

In terms of injuries. It’s not run run run. 

Guess that's why they didn't get close to winning a game.

1 hour ago, RS said:

Top 4 finish 

cl qualification

1 cup final

1 (2?) quarter final 

from 19th to 11th

Manages an average squad

Yep. Bang average is Eddie. 

Brendan Rogers achieved more and I have Howe above him.

I think Howe is very good but the competition is elite now and he is just a step below in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, TRC said:

I think Howe is very good but the competition is elite now and he is just a step below in my opinion.

And he's a step below Gary O'Neil too.

Who's biggest achievement in football management is getting to the QF of the FA Cup.

9 minutes ago, dcmk said:

And he's a step below Gary O'Neil too.

Who's biggest achievement in football management is getting to the QF of the FA Cup.

I just like Gary O'Neil, think he's done a great job at both Bournemouth and Wolves. 

Just now, TRC said:

I just like Gary O'Neil, think he's done a great job at both Bournemouth and Wolves. 

I like Gary O'Neil.

But just going by the facts..

Escaped relegation with a point per game average of 0.92 with Bournemouth.

And sitting 9th in the table with Wolves, when they finished 13th last season.  

Lost to Ipswich and Coventry in the cup competitions.

If that's a level above EH, than you must really not rate our manager.

5 minutes ago, dcmk said:

I like Gary O'Neil.

But just going by the facts..

Escaped relegation with a point per game average of 0.92 with Bournemouth.

And sitting 9th in the table with Wolves, when they finished 13th last season.  

Lost to Ipswich and Coventry in the cup competitions.

If that's a level above EH, than you must really not rate our manager.

Eddie Howe lost to Cambridge and Sheff Wed in the cup competitions.

I don't think there is much between Howe and O'Neil I just think O'Neil has a bit more in game management.

I'm sure if you asked a bunch of neutral fans they would be pretty even on the two. 

I rate Howe as a good manager but I don't think he is the one to take us to the next level.

13 minutes ago, TRC said:

Eddie Howe lost to Cambridge and Sheff Wed in the cup competitions.

I don't think there is much between Howe and O'Neil I just think O'Neil has a bit more in game management.

I'm sure if you asked a bunch of neutral fans they would be pretty even on the two. 

I rate Howe as a good manager but I don't think he is the one to take us to the next level.

Neutrals would likely say that there is a huge gulf between the two. Considering the achievements of both the people involved.

Asking Bournemouth fans who they rate higher, considering they have both managed there, you would be quite shocked by the answer.

But anyway.  Salut.

Edited by dcmk

58 minutes ago, TRC said:

Bit like the club he works for. 

1 hour ago, TRC said:

Gary O'Neil didn't improve Bournemouth and they got better after he left.

image.thumb.png.8212ce6a2b7d024f4d081ab0b99d77bf.png

You're allowed to think whatever you want of Howe, but pitching Gary O'Neil as a better manager is obviously insane 

Edited by Jagten

8 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

His football is better suited.  

Can't be many clubs to have played in the Champions League, Europa League & Europa Conference League all in one season and win 1 tie out of 4 in all of them combined, like. 

The new format should mean they get to at least the Knock Out Play-Off too. He's going to be playing 2x pot 4 teams rather than just clubs than them.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

There was a Bournemouth fan on here last week who said O Neil had been a very lucky manager in his time there

Let's wait and see where he is in 3 or 4 years...

Didnt realise he was such a prick until some of the stuff I've read on him this week either

3 minutes ago, jack j said:

There was a Bournemouth fan on here last week who said O Neil had been a very lucky manager in his time there

Let's wait and see where he is in 3 or 4 years...

Didnt realise he was such a prick until some of the stuff I've read on him this week either

Admitted to getting a yellow to get a suspension at Boro while they were battling relegation, so he was able to go to Vegas for the boxing?

1. Pep - actually a difficult manager to assess in comparison with others, because he's always had great players and massive clubs to work with. But his ideas have revolutionised football at the top level, and his long list of trophies has to put him up there.

2. Klopp - has become a major irritant, but has proved himself with big clubs and smaller clubs alike. He has a record of success to point to, and his teams always play with great energy.

3. Howe - difficult to separate off my bias, but he has over-achieved massively with two clubs that were right on the ropes. How he would deal with a post at a big club which wasn't a rescue job is an intriguing issue. He has to mould things his own way and perhaps isn't so adaptable - bit like Brian Clough. My belief is that there's more to come from this guy and we have to hang on in there.

4. Postecoglou - tempting to put him equal third with Eddie, but that would have been a cop-out. Like Eddie, he has his own ideas and his own style, and has forged his own way. Next season could really be his year.

5. Emery - has that record of success, and his clearly doing well with Villa. Players seem to rate him highly. I get the impression that he's a bit of a moody sod though. He seems to have his lapses.

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Admitted to getting a yellow to get a suspension at Boro while they were battling relegation, so he was able to go to Vegas for the boxing?

Yep and let a reporter make a 6 hour round trip to then decide he didn't fancy doing an interview with him that day

Sounds like a grade A cunt

Tier 1: Pep / Klopp

Tier 2: Emery / Arteta 

Tier 3: Howe / Ange / De Zerbi / Iraola

Tier 4: ETH / Moyes / Pochettino / Frank / Silva

Tier 5: Nuno / Dyche / O’Neil / Edwards / Kompany

Tier 6: Wilder

Glasner - Unknown.

That’s what I would rank things currently based on what I’ve seen so far in English football, and having seen some of them elsewhere.

Tier 1 = Elite. Coaches that vastly improve players because of the system they coach, with top end results to back.

Tier 2 = Strong. Clear showings they are innovative, with recognition that can push the top guys.

Tier 3 = Very good. Good coaches, have their identity that can be seen, and got room to move upwards.

Tier 4 = Steady. What you’ve seen is what you get. Never going to get to Tier 2, only possibly considered higher due to managing in inferior leagues with superior squads to mask their fundamental errors.

Tier 5 = Bounce between 4 and 5. Not a great deal of appeal.

Tier 6 = Out of depth. 

Someone like Jose I would put in 4. The European success with Roma should mean a 2, but they were regular par at best in league, and should’ve been doing better. I’d shudder if he came to us. 

Edited by Sibierski

30 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

Tier 1: Pep / Klopp

Tier 2: Emery / Arteta 

Tier 3: Howe / Ange / De Zerbi / Iraola

Tier 4: ETH / Moyes / Pochettino / Frank / Silva

Tier 5: Nuno / Dyche / O’Neil / Edwards / Kompany

Tier 6: Wilder

Glasner - Unknown.

That’s what I would rank things currently based on what I’ve seen so far in English football, and having seen some of them elsewhere.

Tier 1 = Elite. Coaches that vastly improve players because of the system they coach, with top end results to back.

Tier 2 = Strong. Clear showings they are innovative, with recognition that can push the top guys.

Tier 3 = Very good. Good coaches, have their identity that can be seen, and got room to move upwards.

Tier 4 = Steady. What you’ve seen is what you get. Never going to get to Tier 2, only possibly considered higher due to managing in inferior leagues with superior squads to mask their fundamental errors.

Tier 5 = Bounce between 4 and 5. Not a great deal of appeal.

Tier 6 = Out of depth. 

Someone like Jose I would put in 4. The European success with Roma should mean a 2, but they were regular par at best in league, and should’ve been doing better. I’d shudder if he came to us. 

Agree with all of that except that seems incredibly generous for Iraola to rank him alongside De Zerbi and Howe. He's taken a lower mid table team and has them...lower mid table. It's early days and there's slight improvement but I wouldn't say he's earned Tier 3 yet.

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

1. Pep - actually a difficult manager to assess in comparison with others, because he's always had great players and massive clubs to work with. But his ideas have revolutionised football at the top level, and his long list of trophies has to put him up there.

2. Klopp - has become a major irritant, but has proved himself with big clubs and smaller clubs alike. He has a record of success to point to, and his teams always play with great energy.

3. Howe - difficult to separate off my bias, but he has over-achieved massively with two clubs that were right on the ropes. How he would deal with a post at a big club which wasn't a rescue job is an intriguing issue. He has to mould things his own way and perhaps isn't so adaptable - bit like Brian Clough. My belief is that there's more to come from this guy and we have to hang on in there.

4. Postecoglou - tempting to put him equal third with Eddie, but that would have been a cop-out. Like Eddie, he has his own ideas and his own style, and has forged his own way. Next season could really be his year.

5. Emery - has that record of success, and his clearly doing well with Villa. Players seem to rate him highly. I get the impression that he's a bit of a moody sod though. He seems to have his lapses.

RE: Pep always having great players - when he joined City we’d finished 4th the season before and had the same points as the team in 5th. We had Sagna and Clichy as our fullbacks, we had Bony upfront. We had Mangala scoring own goals. We had Fernando anchoring the midfield! We had Fabian Delph starting. 

He built the team he has now, yes he spent money, but he identified players that could either fit in to his style and philosophy of playing straight away (but there’s not many about), or ones that he could improve and get them playing the best football of their careers. Players come to City and completely change the way they play under Pep. Rodri is a perfect example - absolute donkey when he first came and has since become one of the best in his position. Look what Pep did with Sterling!! 

You have Sunday league teams playing out from the back and keeping possession! He’s completely changed the game. 

19 minutes ago, Mase said:

RE: Pep always having great players - when he joined City we’d finished 4th the season before and had the same points as the team in 5th. We had Sagna and Clichy as our fullbacks, we had Bony upfront. We had Mangala scoring own goals. We had Fernando anchoring the midfield! We had Fabian Delph starting. 

He built the team he has now, yes he spent money, but he identified players that could either fit in to his style and philosophy of playing straight away (but there’s not many about), or ones that he could improve and get them playing the best football of their careers. Players come to City and completely change the way they play under Pep. Rodri is a perfect example - absolute donkey when he first came and has since become one of the best in his position. Look what Pep did with Sterling!! 

You have Sunday league teams playing out from the back and keeping possession! He’s completely changed the game. 

I think you've forgotten what it's like to struggle! :laugh:

I checked, and in the four seasons before the one that you named, you came first twice, and second twice. That's not exactly taking over a shitshow. The players that you've named are only poor in comparison to the ones that Pep brought in - as you acknowledge, at considerable expense. And in Rodri's case, it's hard to believe that Pep decided to pay a club record £60m for an 'absolute donkey'.

But as I said, he has transformed football, and he could hardly do better than what he has achieved at City - 5 titles in 6 seasons speaks for itself. 

27 minutes ago, Mase said:

Paragraphs 1 and 2. That becomes a damn sight easier when you can blow everyone out the water financially (see Mourinho). There's always a question mark over managers who've always been able to dominate the transfer market. And he's improved players, Lo a miracle !, I doubt there's enough bandwidth to example other managers who've done that.

Paragraph 3......wtf ? He invented playing out from the back ?

15 hours ago, TRC said:

Klopp is always going to be top 2.

Howe has been exposed this season as a top manager for being unable to put out a plan b.

Define what you mean by Plan B?

2 hours ago, jonny1403 said:

Agree with all of that except that seems incredibly generous for Iraola to rank him alongside De Zerbi and Howe. He's taken a lower mid table team and has them...lower mid table. It's early days and there's slight improvement but I wouldn't say he's earned Tier 3 yet.

Think it’s more how he had a clear philosophy when he came in, despite the results to start off with, didn’t change it and it’s starting to pay off. Players improving routinely too. Liked his Vallecano side from the small samples I’ve encountered when watching La Liga highlights. Think they’ll make a stride forward next season if they don’t get raided too much/he stays. 

Sort of manager if West Ham move on from Moyes, they wouldn’t go far wrong getting him.