If you could add 3 past-NUFC players to the current team...

Big River

9 minutes ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

£1m quid to Villa and replaced with that pisshead Craig Moore. What an absolute disaster Souness was.

IIRC, Robson was earmarking Hughes up to be a potential captain at us. Hughes was such a good, solid footballer for us.

He was so versatile, and mostly did a 7/10 job every time he played, regardless of position or role.

Just now, HTT II said:

He was so versatile, and mostly did a 7/10 job every time he played, regardless of position or role.

The squad Souness inherited wasn't perfect, and no doubt the players needed a kick up the arse discipline wise. But he came in like a bull in a china shop, fell out with Robert & Bellamy, flogged the majority and replaced them with dogshit. 

Just now, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

The squad Souness inherited wasn't perfect, and no doubt the players needed a kick up the arse discipline wise. But he came in like a bull in a china shop, fell out with Robert & Bellamy, flogged the majority and replaced them with dogshit. 

One of our worse managers easily, such an awful appointment. 

14 minutes ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

He continued to have a solid Premier League career, too. It makes it even worse

Edited by Astroblack

So was Batty comfortably better than Tiote (at their respective bests)? I included the latter in mine cos I think this team needs an out-and-out DM.

Enrique is a perfectly fair shout like. He was class and we don't have a competent LB.

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

So was Batty comfortably better than Tiote (at their respective bests)? I included the latter in mine cos I think this team needs an out-and-out DM.

Enrique is a perfectly fair shout like. He was class and we don't have a competent LB.

Batty was a superior footballer, passing, technique, control, leadership, he had everything other than maybe Tiote’s dynamism, but he didn’t need that as he was so intelligent and read the game well. Such an underrated player, KK actually bollocked him one time at half-time and said if I wanted a defensive player in there I’d have played a defender, pass the ball forward, get forward, get some goals, you’re more than good enough etc. Batty said that was the spell he enjoyed his football the most and was akin to being a kid with the ball at his feet again.

13 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Batty was definitely much better than Tiote, yeah, and for much longer. 

6 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Batty was a superior footballer, passing, technique, control, leadership, he had everything other than maybe Tiote’s dynamism, but he didn’t need that as he was so intelligent and read the game well. Such an underrated player, KK actually bollocked him one time at half-time and said if I wanted a defensive player in there I’d have played a defender, pass the ball forward, get forward, get some goals, you’re more than good enough etc. Batty said that was the spell he enjoyed his football the most and was akin to being a kid with the ball at his feet again.

There's a belting clip of Batty playing Sampdoria at Elland Road in a pre-season friendly, kicking players in the stands, jumping in late and grabbing others by the neck.

23 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Batty is our best and most underrated midfielder in the last 39 years I've supported NUFC. People talk about Lee, Speed, Cabaye, Tiote etc but Batty was the man.

4 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Batty is our best and most underrated midfielder in the last 39 years I've supported NUFC. People talk about Lee, Speed, Cabaye, Tiote etc but Batty was the man.

If only we had him at the very start of his career under KK, we’d be talking about one of the best all-round English midfielders of all-time IMO, he was such a classy footballer and far more capable than just sitting and protecting. He was my best player in our team after he signed in terms of performances, a regular 7/8 out of ten every game.

13 minutes ago, kisearch said:

I've said this before, but if you watch the Man United 5-0 back, he's comfortably MOTM imo. Totally deserved to score that chance he had after Ginola skips past Neville. 

Batty was class and very underrated.

4 hours ago, HTT II said:

If only we had him at the very start of his career under KK, we’d be talking about one of the best all-round English midfielders of all-time IMO, he was such a classy footballer and far more capable than just sitting and protecting. He was my best player in our team after he signed in terms of performances, a regular 7/8 out of ten every game.

And yet Batty saw football as solely a job he was good at and really doesn't care much about it at all. Imagine that, for all of his ability :lol:

17 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

And yet Batty saw football as solely a job he was good at and really doesn't care much about it at all. Imagine that, for all of his ability :lol:

Imagine if KK got him at the start of his career…

51 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Shearer, Beardsley and Batty.

How far do you go back though? If it was further I’d replace Batty with Gazza  

Edit: Anyone leaving Shearer out of that 3 is unhinged

I think I might change my 3 once I've seen what Howe can do with the team. Stick Shearer up front instead of Wilson at the start of this season under Bruce and nothing changes imo.