Realistic Transfer Targets (2024/25)

joeyt

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Linked with Joe Gomez.

He’s had his injury problems, but looked a great prospect when he first broke through. Yes please!

Realistically, we will sign 6 players max in the summer (not including Targett). Doing any more than that and expecting quality transfers and quality results seems unlikely. Eddie is unlikely to want whole sale change and seems quite loyal to a few of our players. With that in mind this is how I see our summer 25 man squad, provided we stay up.

GK:

New GK

Dubravka 2nd choice

Gillespie 3rd choice.

(Darlow and Woodman are "sellable", hence keeping Gillespie as 3rd)

RB:

Trippier

Manquillo

CB: 

Burn

Schar

New signing

New signing

Dummett (Versatile)

LB:

Targett

Lewis?

CM:

Joelinton

Shelvey

Bruno

Willock

Longstaff

New signing

RM:

Fraser

New Signing

LM:

Maxi

Murphy

ST:

New signing

Wood

Wilson

Out: Gayle, Hayden, Shortstaff (loan), Almiron, Richie, Krafth, Lascelles, Fernandes, Woodman (loan), Darlow

The bad news is that we will be left with a few "poor players" lingering around. The good news is that they shouldn't get much game time when we sign quality players.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

Realistically, we will sign 6 players max in the summer (not including Targett). Doing any more than that and expecting quality transfers and quality results seems unlikely. Eddie is unlikely to want whole sale change and seems quite loyal to a few of our players. With that in mind this is how I see our summer 25 man squad, provided we stay up.

GK:

New GK

Dubravka 2nd choice

Gillespie 3rd choice.

(Darlow and Woodman are "sellable", hence keeping Gillespie as 3rd)

RB:

Trippier

Manquillo

CB: 

Burn

Schar

New signing

New signing

Dummett (Versatile)

LB:

Targett

Lewis?

CM:

Joelinton

Shelvey

Bruno

Willock

Longstaff

New signing

RM:

Fraser

New Signing

LM:

Maxi

Murphy

ST:

New signing

Wood

Wilson

Out: Gayle, Hayden, Shortstaff (loan), Almiron, Richie, Krafth, Lascelles, Fernandes, Woodman (loan), Darlow

The bad news is that we will be left with a few "poor players" lingering around. The good news is that they shouldn't get much game time when we sign quality players.

Looks good to me could see possibly the likes of Murphy or dubs away too and wood too maybe. 6-8 new players all pushing or coming into starting 11 with hopefully a few younger players late teens coming in to challenge like I’ve mentioned before like poaching from the likes of Chelsea (really like the lad Colwill).

2 hours ago, prefabtoon said:

Donny van de Beek rejected a loan to #NUFC because he didn't have the spine for a relegation fight.

Joined Everton instead.

NUFC - 14th

Everton - 17th

:mackems:

Said he was impressed with Lampard as well. Of the generation that grew up watching Lampard & Gerrard), and assumed that they'd make great managers as well. (Eddie Howe?  Hmmm who did he play for again?)

Edited by gazza ladra

If possible I’d take the likes of Pogba and Lukaku but not Bale. 

particularly Lukaku, he could make us a top 4 threat overnight. The hardest thing is finding a player that can score 15-20. At Newcastle he’ll play in a counter attacking team that can be direct which I think suits him. 

but I would understand if we don’t. At his age he might not fancy something that might take. 2-3 years to really get going. And we may not want to destroy our wage structure.  

I reckon we go for the types of players Liverpool usually go for. Not the types to come in straight on 200k+

14 hours ago, joeyt said:

What do our American friends make of Brendan Aaronson?

Was heavily linked with Leeds, seems to be a potentially interesting number 10 target

He's a solid young player.

I'd say he's like a poor man's Pulisic, but with a much better injury record. I'd say his big skill is running with the ball and making dangerous runs without it. I'm not convinced he's good enough to move the needle in the way we'd want. We won't be pissing about if we stop up and I think lower-half/mid-table is about where he's at.

26 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

If possible I’d take the likes of Pogba and Lukaku but not Bale. 

particularly Lukaku, he could make us a top 4 threat overnight. The hardest thing is finding a player that can score 15-20. At Newcastle he’ll play in a counter attacking team that can be direct which I think suits him. 

but I would understand if we don’t. At his age he might not fancy something that might take. 2-3 years to really get going. And we may not want to destroy our wage structure.  

I reckon we go for the types of players Liverpool usually go for. Not the types to come in straight on 200k+

The thought of Bruno Guimares, Joelinton, and Pogba is outrageous :lol: 

Looks like we will be aiming to “make” the big names, more than buying the big names, which should be fun to watch. Get highly-rated, high-energy young players and turn them into mature worldies under a good coach, supported by world-class backroom and training facilities. Build organically, ensure energetic, possession-based football, stay within FFP. 

Dreaming of the summer when we're hopefully safe, decided to check out Darwin Nunez on YT, been mentioned here and knew nowt about him. Well I don't know what he'd cost or if he's realistic but i'm pretty convinced already, looks like a superstar. Reminds me of a pacy Dimitar Berbatov. Tall, quick, rangy, can finish with both feet, outstanding as a target man, always looking to give and go, appears to have real team intelligence. Would probably cost the earth. Yes please!

On 04/03/2022 at 18:03, LionOfGosforth said:

Dreaming of the summer when we're hopefully safe, decided to check out Darwin Nunez on YT, been mentioned here and knew nowt about him. Well I don't know what he'd cost or if he's realistic but i'm pretty convinced already, looks like a superstar. Reminds me of a pacy Dimitar Berbatov. Tall, quick, rangy, can finish with both feet, outstanding as a target man, always looking to give and go, appears to have real team intelligence. Would probably cost the earth. Yes please!

I agree he does look good, just have to put a slight qualifier on him as he plays in Portugal. Don't get me wrong, the general standard is higher than a place like Holland, but it can still be hard to properly gauge a players quality when they come from the Portuguese league. 

Rashford playing as a proper number 9 with Bruno, Tripper and ASM supplying him would be class.

The kid needs a new lease of life. I'm not convinced Man Utd wouldn't sell to us. They are going to have to have a massive clear out and replacements cost money. He's barely getting a game for them.

I'd certainly ask the question.

Pogba and on a much lower level Lingard walk away this summer. Rashford is currently scheduled to walk in summer 2023, after Pogba has already shown how its done.

Man U are lucky in that Rashford's a local and would face death threats if he went to City on a free like Tevez. The fact that this is even remotely possible shows how ineptly Man U are run.