Realistic Transfer Targets (2024/25)

joeyt

9 hours ago, buzza said:

I would rather buy Phillips at the reported 40 mil he will be going for this summer.

two years ago he was miles better than rice, some injuries that persisted and a certain Rodri have stalled his development.

The only place Phillips has ever been better than Rice is when some kid is playing with him on FIFA 

Phillips is more of a half back type midfielder. Rice has started to become more and more box to box. I honestly didn't rate him much til this season, but he's heading towards a Gerrard type profile, with a better defensive ability. 

Rice is up there with the very best in the league at driving forward with the ball and into the penalty area. So direct and extremely athletic. That’s not accounting for his brilliant defensive work as well. He’s a very complete player

19 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Rice is up there with the very best in the league at driving forward with the ball and into the penalty area. So direct and extremely athletic. That’s not accounting for his brilliant defensive work as well. He’s a very complete player

He'd be the perfect signing if we were able to agree on wages. He can play centre-back, in the holding role, he can pass, he presses higher up the pitch, he's a leader. He's the perfect signing for someone. 

Been watching Ugarte closely since our link to him. Not entirely convinced currently; seen him in 3 full matches and I can count the amount of times he’s passed the ball forwards on one hand. Silky on the ball and great defensively but he’s got this annoying habit of always taking too long to release a progressive ball and then making the safest pass backwards. Still young but for how we like to break quickly, I think he’d infuriate fans (especially if the rumoured 50 million price tag is true).

2 hours ago, McCormick said:

Been watching Ugarte closely since our link to him. Not entirely convinced currently; seen him in 3 full matches and I can count the amount of times he’s passed the ball forwards on one hand. Silky on the ball and great defensively but he’s got this annoying habit of always taking too long to release a progressive ball and then making the safest pass backwards. Still young but for how we like to break quickly, I think he’d infuriate fans (especially if the rumoured 50 million price tag is true).

Fair enough - a prerequisite of our new number 6 has to be progressive passes “forward” (not sidewards) - Bruno was brilliant at the weekend in terms of his passing 

it’s such a big position this - have to get the right one 

3 hours ago, gbandit said:

Out of all of the players in the league, he's the ultimate "ready-made for Howe" player. Would slot straight into our team without any need to ease him in. 

I never used to rate him, but I was completely wrong. He's very close to world class.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Would people rather sign three £80M players or five £40–50M players?

Depends on which players they are. I’d rather have Davies, Rice and Diaby (can’t think or any other wide player of that value) for £80m

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Depends on who they where of course, but think we would benefit from five 40-50M types in our current position.

Bit of a broad question, like, aye.

Suppose it could be rephrased as three players who we'd imagine would walk straight into the XI and be significant improvements, versus five who'd essentially be competing for their respective roles and could potentially still be significant improvements despite being "cheaper".

19 minutes ago, Rich said:

5 for me - add the value of EH coaching plus their potential and they would be worth 80m in no time - 5 is the optimum number we need to realise our squad strength too - with a couple of young players added aswell

40-50 is still a heck of a lot of money too - Can buy you a Jota, Diaz, Fabinho, Konate and Gakpo (if we use the Liverpool model)

Issue with Rice is the wages. He'll be lookin for £250k+ - Chelsea, Man U type money.

Caicedo or Lavia are more proper DMs but both progress play well. The fees might be similar but the wages will be  £20-25m cheaper over 4 years.

Rice would break the transfer ceiling and change the entire dynamic of the dressing room. He's a genuine PL superstar. Lavia would be a middle earner and Caicedo probably wouldn't be the highest earner.

Edited by The College Dropout

I think I’d rather go for 3 “world class” players/ elite prospects for 60+ (on the assumption that they’re truly worth that). Loads of teams looking to overtake us are able to spend 40 odd million so going beyond that should hopefully be able to get the kind of talent that draws a line between ourselves and them.

Edited by McCormick

45 minutes ago, Rich said:

Five in the £40-50m bracket, definitely.

Firstly, we've seen what we can do with that sort of money already. Botman, Bruno, obviously Isak was more but unsurprising with the striker premium.

Secondly, if we've got any chance of remaining competitive across domestic and European campaigns we're going to need bodies in. Our best 13-14 players have shown what they are capable of this season but they won't be able to do it Saturday-Wednesday-Saturday on a regular basis. The aim should be to get ourselves into a position where we have two options for each position without a big drop in quality. That obviously takes time but five Botman/Bruno types is going to help more than a couple of marquee signings.

35 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

1 x Rice and 3 x £50m players

Think it might be something along the lines of this approach. I doubt we'll be able to attract 3 absolute world class blue chip players in one window, we still won't have the pull of Barcelona or Man City yet. But if we can we'll probably go for it. We seem to have our targets already ear-marked long term, if and when they become available we'll get them.