Kieran Trippier 'hopefully back soon' (Howe)

Yorkie

1 hour ago, Barnes23 said:

That's a fair point, although I think how we're setting up may be part of the problem at this point tbh. The lopsided full backs, similar patterns of play with Almiron/Trippier and attempting to work opportunities from that side of the pitch rather than finding other avenues of attack (especially through the middle) is producing diminishing returns and has been for some time. 

I don't think we need to dismantle the system that has got us to where we were, it just needs a couple of tweaks to make us less predictable.  

2 hours ago, Barnes23 said:

Would actually consider giving Manquillo a game in one of the upcoming fixtures. Would offer something different in attack and was one of our better players in the FA cup fixture (not saying a whole lot, I know). Most importantly though, maybe the rest would rejuvenate Trippier. 

The gulf in class between them two would be huge imho. I've been frustrated with set pieces for ages but Trippiers overall game is generally really good and I'm not sure what, other than maybe freshness, Manquillo would bring that would improve us tbh.

Given, we effectively write-off the left hand side to accomodate Trippiers attacking tendencies too, I can't help but think replacing him with a less attacking full back might render us even more toothless going forwards tbh.

It's a tough one, because in many respects, we've built this system around Trippier so he's intregal and it's kind of designed to entirely suit his game but we almost don't do him any favours by not having an equally attacking full back on the left. Though, to make that work, we'd need a geet big fuck off athletic CDM I think.

Ideally, we'll buy a wonderful CDM this summer, add an attacking left back who can cross a ball from a set piece and that might take some of the load off Trippier, who's been superb broadly.

The system we play puts enormous pressure on Trippier to produce; Trippier goes forward and Burn shuffles into a sort of back 3 which means that our LW gets next to no support. If you look at our passing structure and emphasis on the flanks since Trippier signed it all goes through our right and through him. It worked brilliantly in the first half of the season but it's probably just been sussed by now as sides only have to shut down our right which since Boxing Day has been largely ineffective anyway given Almiron's predictability. 

Our system doesn't need to change completely but it needs a couple tweaks to get a bit of unpredictability back; Targett back in asap to gives us another outlet down the opposite flank, Isak to start games consistently and perhaps Gordon ahead of Almiron or ASM, but Almiron for me. Also need a different set piece taker to change it up a bit, teams only have to prepare for Trippier set pieces as no one else takes them on either side, Targett should help with that to a degree.

Also, assuming that Joelinton doesn't get booked on Saturday, no other suspensions and no further injuries are picked up, Wolves (h) should be the first time in the entire season where we'll have a full squad to pick from. Which is canny mad. :lol:

6 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

The system we play puts enormous pressure on Trippier to produce; Trippier goes forward and Burn shuffles into a sort of back 3 which means that our LW gets next to no support. If you look at our passing structure and emphasis on the flanks since Trippier signed it all goes through our right and through him. It worked brilliantly in the first half of the season but it's probably just been sussed by now as sides only have to shut down our right which since Boxing Day has been largely ineffective anyway given Almiron's predictability. 

Our system doesn't need to change completely but it needs a couple tweaks to get a bit of unpredictability back; Targett back in asap to gives us another outlet down the opposite flank, Isak to start games consistently and perhaps Gordon ahead of Almiron or ASM, but Almiron for me. Also need a different set piece taker to change it up a bit, teams only have to prepare for Trippier set pieces as no one else takes them on either side, Targett should help with that to a degree.

Also, assuming that Joelinton doesn't get booked on Saturday, no other suspensions and no further injuries are picked up, Wolves (h) should be the first time in the entire season where we'll have a full squad to pick from. Which is canny mad. :lol:

Aye. It worked well enough before the World Cup, on the ball we'd essentially settle into a 3-5-2 with Willock and Joelinton switching to provide the width on the left hand side, while Almiron pushed up closer to Wilson. 

It worked when teams came at us or had an unorganised defensive set up, but it became too easy to shut out. The logical alternative feels like it should be pushing ASM up top as one of the two, but then you need to work out how to keep the width. Him and Isak could be dynamite going forwards though. 

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Aye. It worked well enough before the World Cup, on the ball we'd essentially settle into a 3-5-2 with Willock and Joelinton switching to provide the width on the left hand side, while Almiron pushed up closer to Wilson. 

It worked when teams came at us or had an unorganised defensive set up, but it became too easy to shut out. The logical alternative feels like it should be pushing ASM up top as one of the two, but then you need to work out how to keep the width. Him and Isak could be dynamite going forwards though. 

Isak with 1 or a couple attacking partners close to him I feel would give us a bit more against sides that sit deep; we saw glimpses of it against Fulham (h) when he came on and played with Wilson against a team who retreated a further 5-10 yards after their pen miss, we had a bit more impetus carrying the ball towards good positions around the box yesterday and I thought Isak and Maxi have linked up well against Liverpool and at Southampton in the cup. He just needs to be in the team from the start. So does ASM imo, Almiron's poor form has coincided with our poor form in front of goal. Something needs to be tweaked.

ASM also I think will be useful at Man City on Saturday, he is at his best running at players on the break at the end of the day.

Think it's quite well known with stats nerds that corners aren't very dangerous in general. 

They are a free chance to cross, but that's about it. 

I never really get excited about them, especially with the poor aerial players we have. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

I imagine you could improve on that conversion percentage fairly significantly by signing players who can actually head the ball. Or even coaching players who can't head the ball, to head the ball. We seem to do neither but continue to hoy the ball into the box regularly.

Remember reading a football stats book, maybe 10 years ago, where they had stats showing that you so seldom score from corners by crossing the ball in to the box, so it’s better to play it short to keep possession in the opposing half.

It's bit like direct free kick shots. On raw stats you would stop shooting, but in a game where a shot is hard to manufacture it might still be preferable to shoot from the free kick. 

Suppose corners could be similar, even if it's 3% chance to score, you could argue that it's a free 3% so it's worth taking it. Just don't get too excited about it :lol:

Well that's all kind of a nonsense because a short corner or a short free kick is much easier to defend if you know the other team isn't going to plant it in the box or try and shoot. You have to make the opposition defend against all possibilities and part of that is changing up what you do

56 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

I think Targett coming back in will be huge for us in terms of set pieces. It'll split the corner-taking duties and should naturally lead to greater variation in our routines. 

Will even increase our tactical stability and flexibility on set pieces, with Tripper waiting on the far side to defend or re-distribute rather than sprinting back across the pitch into position.

Don’t know what the actual stats say but he’s hitting first man on corners and rarely finding players on set pieces. He’s being complacent as fuck with his short passing and it’s costing us. Desperate for him to have a rest to recharge