Kieran Trippier

Yorkie

Don't mind him being here next season, but I have a feeling that next season we are going to start questioning whether it was right to keep him for another season or not. I hope I can look back at this and say that I was wrong. However, if he doesn't play anywhere near the levels that he used to, or can't keep up with our playstyle in terms of injuries and/or fatigue, it won't be hindsight to point out that we could've sold him (I'm sure the hindisght argument would be used). At the same time, we would need another RB if we sold him, so it's definelty not clearcut.

Edited by Erikse

We'd not get a great amount for Trippier anyway. Worth keeping around to see out his career here I think. He has the underlying quality even if we'll need to start managing his minutes.

1 hour ago, Erikse said:

Don't mind him being here next season, but I have a feeling that next season we are going to start questioning whether it was right to keep him for another season or not. I hope I can look back at this and say that I was wrong. However, if he doesn't play anywhere near the levels that he used to, or can't keep up with our playstyle in terms of injuries and/or fatigue, it won't be hindsight to point out that we could've sold him (I'm sure the hindisght argument would be used). At the same time, we would need another RB if we sold him, so it's definelty not clearcut.

I imagine your garden fence is quite worn down. :lol:

With Lascelles being out alot of next season, Wilson potentially going, Ritchie maybe off, Dubravka almost certainly is, even Dummett might be gone, if Trippier also leaves that's a big chunk of our leadership team and senior players out of the picture.

He needs to stay, he's still at PL level and hopefully this extra rest and rehab will set him up well for next season. The only reason I'd want him gone is if there's substantial bid that is impossible to turn down(£15M+).

32 minutes ago, ChrisMcQuillan said:

I imagine your garden fence is quite worn down. :lol:

Honestly I don't understand what you mean by that.[emoji38] Never heard that saying before.

Edited by Erikse

4 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Honestly I don't understand what you mean by that.[emoji38]

Was just a very "sitting on the fence" post :lol:

Happy for him to be here,  unless he's poor, which he might be, but he also may not. If he is, then it's okay to say that he might have been, unless he isn't. :lol: 

My reply was probably too abstract, apologies, just enjoyed your post haha.

17 minutes ago, ChrisMcQuillan said:

Happy for him to be here,  unless he's poor, which he might be, but he also may not. If he is, then it's okay to say that he might have been, unless he isn't. :lol: 

Well, I did actually say that I don't believe he will be anywhere near the same as he used to, so that's my actual opinion. But I would love for me to be wrong, and would be the first to admit it.;) In the end we all want the same thing, whatever works best for the team.

Edited by Erikse

21 minutes ago, ChrisMcQuillan said:

(Also, if I say something over the top, like there's no way Trippier will be that impactful for us next season, I will trigger the entire "Trippier is the god almighty" gang to come after me. That's too scary for me!)

Edited by Erikse

2 hours ago, Erikse said:

I questioned it at the time because I thought £12m for a player who would be 34 in the summer was too good to turn down. I still think he's a fantastic player though, I just know we'll never get that money again, and I think sentiment will affect our spending in the next couple of windows. Ideally we wouldn't need to sell anyone, we could just invest in our club how we see fit. That way players like Trippier, Longstaff and Miggy could be seen as squad assets instead of a drag on our resources.

2 hours ago, TRon said:

I questioned it at the time because I thought £12m for a player who would be 34 in the summer was too good to turn down. I still think he's a fantastic player though, I just know we'll never get that money again, and I think sentiment will affect our spending in the next couple of windows. Ideally we wouldn't need to sell anyone, we could just invest in our club how we see fit. That way players like Trippier, Longstaff and Miggy could be seen as squad assets instead of a drag on our resources.

Unfortunately getting younger replacements is really expensive these days unless your scouting is top notch, so it's hard to move on older squad players when you are restricted financially. Us having such an old squad is just another hangover of the Ashley era, not just because of the players that are left from that era, but also due to the fact that we had to go for a quick fix in the first window without breaking the bank. It worked brilliantly for us, but it makes it a little trickier now.

Edited by Erikse

6 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Looks like he's got a big Aussie rules match in 1983.

Okay, that's fucking funny. True enough too. I used to follow Footie a bit many tears ago. Go Gelong Cats and Gary Ablett.