Kieran Trippier

Yorkie

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Think that could unlock a midfield purchase.  With Joelinton out for the season and Willock awhile away, we are massively short there.  

Agreed. In a perfect world we would keep Trippier and buy a midfielder, but we don't live in a perfect world.

9 minutes ago, Shak said:

Tino first choice with Krafth backup is better than our options in a lot of other spots IMO.

If we do sell Trippier and a couple of others, I'd much prefer the money be spent on other spots than better RB depth behind Tino.

Exactly this. But we'd have to reinvest this window otherwise it's counterproductive.

16 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

Shame the Saudi league are not throwing money around like crazy this window.  The Bayern bid could have justified a decent chunk of money from them.

We need them to buy Almiron, not Trippier.

7 minutes ago, Stottie said:

We need them to buy Almiron, not Trippier.

If we're talking ideal scenarios then I'd rather sell them Ritchie for £18m.

I dunno, if we have leeway to get a largish fee for one player for Saudi without kicking up a stink, Miggy would be the ideal one to sell. A lot of it is age profile, Miggy fans!

Liverpool sold two and Chelsea however many it was, but my guess about PIF PR would be we get one sell-to-Saudi per window max. As TRon suggests Matt Richie may actually be more mobile and less of a red card risk than Fabinho, but we are not the glorious reds beloved by Guardian readers and don't get to sell to Saudi with impunity.

19 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

The issue is I can see a point in the the season where both are injured. Especially as Tino is also cover for left back.

If the club feel they can bring in someone better for the money we’ll get from Trippier then fair enough, but players at that level are few and expensive.

You'd hope we'll start playing Hall at LB soon enough, or at least be comfortable with him backing up Burn.

If Trippier does go I think Tino at LB is gonna be as thing of the past, he'll be first choice RB and rightly so.

And yeah, of course both of them could get injured but that applies to our options at any other position too, surely?

I know we can’t expect a big fee but for €13m would we not be better just keeping him given his impact on the side? If his head is turned there isn’t a whole lot we can do but if he’s happy to stay he should do imo. Fuck it, big leader, great player, he’s worth far more to us than that fee. 

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

If we're only looking for 'up to' £13m then our transfer teams' meeting room wants checking for gas leaks tbh.

£13m means we can make a signing of £35m+

3 minutes ago, Decky said:

I know we can’t expect a big fee but for €13m would we not be better just keeping him given his impact on the side? If his head is turned there isn’t a whole lot we can do but if he’s happy to stay he should do imo. Fuck it, big leader, great player, he’s worth far more to us than that fee. 

Yep, I agree

4 minutes ago, Shak said:

You'd hope we'll start playing Hall at LB soon enough, or at least be comfortable with him backing up Burn.

If Trippier does go I think Tino at LB is gonna be as thing of the past, he'll be first choice RB and rightly so.

And yeah, of course both of them could get injured but that applies to our options at any other position too, surely?

Not sure Hall is rated, otherwise he would have had a lot more game time by now.

1 hour ago, Conjo said:

Bayern ONLY 2nd in the Bundesliga, 7 points behind Leverkusen, they're about to lose to Bremen at time of writing. It's a CRISIS of epic proportions for the Munich club and they are desperate for reinforcements.

Holy cack how good are Leverkusen though.

Alonso the manager.

7 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Not sure Hall is rated, otherwise he would have had a lot more game time by now.

Aye, it's definitely not been encouraging what we've seen from him thus far.

Hopefully it's just a case of him getting up to speed and he'll be able to play a bit more, particularly if we do sell Trippier.

Selling Trippier and maybe the likes of Wilson or Almiron would to me signal a bit of a commitment to a small rebuild, moving out older players and bringing in younger ones.

If Hall still isn't getting game time in that scenario then it will be quite concerning, given that we're seemingly locked in to paying 30m for him in the summer.

10 minutes ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

Holy cack how good are Leverkusen though.

Alonso the manager.

Alonso looks the real deal, can see him at LiVARpool eventually. 

The biggest loss with selling Trippier is not only the mentality in the dressing room, but we’d lose so much going forward down our right side which has been our favoured attacking move since January 2022. Not just his assists alone, look his progressive pass data as well.. him and Miggy on that side just benefit each other so well.

Edited by Nine

1 hour ago, St1pe said:

Baffled at how many people are ok with him leaving or think it’s a good move given his age. He’s still controlling games from right back and completely shutting down wingers opposition fans are saying will cause is problems. He’s still up there with highest chances created in the league, we don’t have anyone else even remotely close to him for set pieces. That’s before you even consider his experience and influence. 

But aye sell him for somewhere around £15m. We couldn’t even sign a backup for that. 

We have 3 right backs for 1 position and 3 fit CMs for 3 positions, only one of which is of the required quality. One more midfield injury and we’re royally fucked! 

If selling Trippier allows us to bring in a decent CM it‘s sensible business. 
It’s hard for everyone to swallow but it also makes sense given our plight

6 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

We have 3 right backs for 1 position and 3 fit CMs for 3 positions, only one of which is of the required quality. One more midfield injury and we’re royally fucked! 

If selling Trippier allows us to bring in a decent CM it‘s sensible business. 
It’s hard for everyone to swallow but it also makes sense given our plight

Absolutely this, I don’t get why people are finding it so hard to understand 

5 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

Absolutely this, I don’t get why people are finding it so hard to understand 

I think people understand, but take Trippier out and its not just Trippier that goes. Almiron will crash, the creativity will crash. Apart from Gordon all our attack comes from Bruno/Trippier/Almiron down the right side. 

2 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

I think people understand, but take Trippier out and it’s not just Trippier that goes. Almiron will crash, the creativity will crash. Apart from Gordon all our attack comes from Bruno/Trippier/Almiron down the right side. 

Almiron has already crashed. The Trippier/Almiron attack died a long time ago.

Maybe we’ve got designs on a right winger with some end product, and to get him we need to sacrifice Trippier. That would take some of the pressure off Gordon and allow our RB to sit deeper.

Maybe Eddie would prefer us to create more through the middle 🤷🏻‍♂️

Taking Trippier out only weakens us if we don’t bring anyone in, and if our intention was always to have our RB being our most creative player, which I doubt was the plan.