Kieran Trippier

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I agree that he's absolutely indispensable to us; I just can't imagine there's anyone out there willing to pay 'most productive RB in the league' prices, due to his age.

If we want to sell our 30-somethings then I'd say it's more about what someone is willing to pay. 

Well, there’s your answer. He’s worth more to us than what anyone would pay, most probably. So, no point selling him. If he wants out it’s a different matter.

2 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Wasn't he the best performing right back in Europe last season? 

Even taking his ave into regard, if you want to buy the best be prepared to pay a Premium.

I think we can squeeze more than £11million out of someone, given his quality, but no one's paying 23-year-old prices for a 33-year-old.

If we had no intention of recouping funds for our ageing squad members and the player wasn't interested in the move, we'd be in a far stronger bargaining position. Unfortunately I think the opposite is probably true re both of those aspects. 

7 hours ago, Kimbo said:

If we got our money back and he wants to go then it’s ok I suppose. I think Bayern are looking for cheap deals though. I’ve not seen any figures mentioned yet, other than them preferring a loan.

I think we got a cheap deal to buy him so ££10-12m and freeing up £140k of wages per week is decent 

43 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

33 and literally running the show even on a poor season by his standards, or is it?

He's a key player, probably Howe's first or second name on the team sheet each time we play.

We'd never sell unless it's tactical move with all bases covered.

I'll stand by what I've already said before, Darren Eales has created a shitstorm for Eddie and the club with his stupid badly timed announcement, that many misinterpreted that we need to sell.

It's given journalists something to arse around with during this PL break, brought a lot of unnecessary attention our way in a stale January where bait is needed. 

I think you're making a very strong assumption here that it wasn't intentional. It wasn't even a live interview - it was a piece of media released by the club in conjunction with the accounts (plus some related media interviews).

I'm not sure whether it was primarily driven by the need to 1) set fan expectations; 2) increase focus/coverage on FFP; or 3) bring as many clubs to the table as possible this month. Maybe all of the above. But whatever the reason I'm quite confident it would have been planned.

5 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

I think you're making a very strong assumption here that it wasn't intentional. It wasn't even a live interview - it was a piece of media released by the club in conjunction with the accounts (plus some related media interviews).

I'm not sure whether it was primarily driven by the need to 1) set fan expectations; 2) increase focus/coverage on FFP; or 3) bring as many clubs to the table as possible this month. Maybe all of the above. But whatever the reason I'm quite confident it would have been planned.

I don't think it was intentional, more so careless, but it's more about the timing of it.

I do think though he wasn't talking about any players in particular, or the need to sell or buy this window, it has likely been misunderstood by many though, and during this window caused the kind of reaction we're seeing by many, equally giving the press ammo, in a January where absolutely nothing is happening, therefore nothing to write about.

I just think it makes Eddie's job harder, his players being discussed/ distracted in a period when Eddie's on a poor run, and the team are dropping down the league.

You think Eales wanted to cause a media storm? I just think he runs his mouth a bit, like an excited puppy.

Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree, but he's doing Howe no favours right now with all the players names in the media.

Edited by mighty__mag

2 hours ago, Andy said:

I don't know what's more laughable, the idea that we'd want £11m for him or the idea that Bayern wouldn't instantly stump up such a small fee for a player of his ability. He still has a good 2 or 3 years left in him tbh, 33 isn't as old as people make it out to be in the current game; it's not like he's had an injury plagued career.  

People are completely blinded by that dip on form he had in December, prior to that he was playing the best football of his career. 

He’s been dogshit since the day he came. Hardly done anything. I don’t know what Bayern see in him. He’s a bottom feeder. Worth nothing.

”please Bayern Munich be reading this bonkers forum and see what we really think of him”

IMG_4893.gif

Certainly pleased he's staying, even if I saw the merit in a sale.

Part of me wants him to end his career here and possibly end up moving into coaching.

Edited by STM

I doubt anyone would be happy to see Trippier leave.  Comfortably the best FB I’ve seen in B&W.  But we’re going to see a lot of squad recycling in the coming years - lots of sales of players we might not sell ourselves.  I’m perfectly happy to trust Howe and the board on those decisions at present - this isn’t Ashley-era Newcastle United.

If Trippier stays, great.  If he goes, I’ll happily back the current club management on that call. 

12 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I doubt anyone would be happy to see Trippier leave.  Comfortably the best FB I’ve seen in B&W.  But we’re going to see a lot of squad recycling in the coming years - lots of sales of players we might not sell ourselves.  I’m perfectly happy to trust Howe and the board on those decisions at present - this isn’t Ashley-era Newcastle United.

If Trippier stays, great.  If he goes, I’ll happily back the current club management on that call. 

Agreed.

59 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The main worry I have isn't replacing him as a RB, because I think Tino will do a grand job. It's his leadership qualities and experience we'll miss. Hopefully that'll be addressed by some incoming recruits

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Basically, I don’t want to see this:

IMG_7471.jpeg.14dbe7423564c5d427894b7c09558837.jpeg

Fan at the steps "Howeh lads, Eddie wouldn't sell Trippier without having someone else lined up"

Tindal leaning over to whisper into Howe's ear: "Yes he fucking would

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Fan at the steps "Howeh lads, Eddie wouldn't sell Trippier without having someone else lined up"

Tindal leaning over to whisper into Howe's ear: "Yes he fucking would

:)

C21st Terry Mac

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He's still a fantastic player so let's just enjoy his contribution while he's here. I'd have sold him for anything over £12m just because of his age and depreciating value but if no one wants him then let's at least enjoy what he brings to the table over the next couple of years.

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Basically, I don’t want to see this:

IMG_7471.jpeg.14dbe7423564c5d427894b7c09558837.jpeg

Might we worth it just to see the beige Chinos/Rollneck Jumper combo again.