Diego Carlos

Nobody

Aye, its either our lot sending out positive noises when they shouldn't be (I mean I wish they'd stop briefing reporters full stop, but that's a different matter) or their lot trying to save face. As with Trippier its most likely a bit if both.

32 minutes ago, worthy said:

If we choose to pay 25 million for a extremely limited player such as Wood, they might as well cough up the rest to get this over with. our CBs are so fucking terrible.

Doesn’t help they get absolutely no protection from the midfield. Yes they are overdue an upgrade as they lack pace but they aren’t terrible. Just exposed.

7 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

It’s an interesting approach - get yourself a perfidious reputation and still sign no-one.

Obviously we’re getting stiffed - but then, why should anyone do us a favour?  Usually best not to approach a window desperate and telling the world you have ‘deep pockets’ - the first couldn’t be helped; the second could.

Looks to me like at some point they’re going to have to shit or get off the pot.  No-one wants us to pay over the odds - but this is a bastard of a time to need players, and COVID appears to be making clubs less keen to let anyone go. 

The club hardly told the world we have deep pockets. That has just been assumed.

I feel as though when we eventually persuade the player and agree personal terms someone from our side is then leaking it to the press to say the deal is moving closer to being complete

And then the selling side are like 'well no we've not agreed a fee yet'

1 minute ago, MarkyMark said:

Sorry, wasn’t looking to be a smart arse - I would love to play poker with some of our new owners one day mind :)

Do you really think clubs would be asking any less if she hadn't said it? Everyone knows we are the richest club in the world, and everyone knows we aren't going to cheap out when it comes to signing players. You are taking one offhand comment and blowing out of all proportion tbh. 

51 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

This is not true. The club is sending hidden message to the friendly press close to the club that said that the offer has to be "out of market". 

I paste yesterday a report from "ABC Sevilla", written for an unofficial club journalist that said exactly this. 

3 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

Sorry, wasn’t looking to be a smart arse - I would love to play poker with some of our new owners one day mind :)

No need to apologise! I had thought there was an operating budget but definitely missed our co-owner saying we have deep pockets, that obviously isn’t going to help with transfer negotiations. 

Just now, TRon said:

Do you really think clubs would be asking any less if she hadn't said it? Everyone knows we are the richest club in the world, and everyone knows we aren't going to cheap out when it comes to signing players. You are taking one offhand comment and blowing out of all proportion tbh. 

Tbf we still don’t know what they’re going to spend etc.  And so far they’ve been … let’s call it haggling, rather than ‘cheap out’.  

7 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

Tbf we still don’t know what they’re going to spend etc.  And so far they’ve been … let’s call it haggling, rather than ‘cheap out’.  

Negotiating the best price, yes they have. PL have moved the goalposts since the days City just bought everybody, we have to keep the future in mind as well because we know fine well that FFP rules will be enforced strongly against NUFC down the line. 

Have to say, if I’m Sevilla I probably wouldn’t turn my nose up at a generous offer for a 28-year old CB who’s only recently started playing at a fairly high level. I don’t think they’re likely to get anywhere near his release clause in a transfer fee.

12 minutes ago, Trensa said:

This is not true. The club is sending hidden message to the friendly press close to the club that said that the offer has to be "out of market". 

I paste yesterday a report from "ABC Sevilla", written for an unofficial club journalist that said exactly this. 

This is that article translated for anyone who hasn't seen it.

The new richest club in the world, Newcastle, insists on Diego Carlos. 

Nothing should be ruled out in this matter, since the movements do not stop and there are still two weeks left before the winter market closes. Sevilla FC will only sell their player for a huge offer, around 60-70 million euros, figures that have not yet appeared in the 'magpies' attempts.

In addition, the Nervión club would only face this exit if they manage to tie a substitute of guarantees for the Brazilian. There is a lot at stake in LaLiga, in addition to the challenges that the team will have in its favorite competition, a Europa League whose final is hosted this year by Ramón Sánchez-Pizjuán. Lopetegui has also made it clear that he is confident that his squad will come out stronger this month and not diminished in potential.

While Newcastle does not finish convincing Sevilla FC with its proposals, the English touch the player on the other hand, who has been offered a stratospheric contract, difficult to reject for a footballer who will turn 29 in March. Multiply the amounts charged in Nervión.

According to Sky Sports , the defender would have already made the decision to head to Newcastle and would have transmitted it to the Sevilla entity. The English want to reinforce their defense at all costs with a level player like Diego Carlos to avoid relegation to the Championship and build their new project from their continuity in the Premier. They will have to continue raising the amounts offered to Sevilla FC.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Negotiating the best price, yes they have. PL have moved the goalposts since the days City just bought everybody, we have to keep the future in mind as well because we know fine well that FFP rules will be enforced strongly against NUFC down the line. 

I agree - though relegation would hit our FFP constraints harder than anything.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

This is that article translated for anyone who hasn't seen it.

That reads like ‘they’ve tapped up the player, so we’ll just inflated the price - fuck ‘em’

Which they’re within their rights to do

Agree terms with the player and let the player and his agent put pressure on his club.  The available pool of players and time are shrinking.  We knew this window was going to be very difficult.  It may come down to late window loans.

It may come down to the Phil Jone's and Ramsey's of the world too.  We can't have any expectations, really.

Just now, MarkyMark said:

I agree - though relegation would hit our FFP constraints harder than anything.

I'll be surprised if we don't throw everything at avoiding relegation over the next couple of weeks, there's still 12 days before the window closes. We'll move on to lesser targets if Sevilla refuse to budge, but I think there's a limit to what we'll pay for a 28 year old CB, and I think Sevilla are just pushing for the best price possible.