More transfer rumours

midds

Are people not expecting a European place next season? Finished 7 points off a EC place this year, with no wins from the first 14 games. The current squad for a full season could have made it.

I don’t think it’s nailed on by any means as Leicester and Villa will improve on last season -Leicester couldn’t really handle the volume of games last year, Villa are improving. But with decent summer transfers EC qualification should be the target, I don’t think they’re pumping 100m in to try and finish 9th

13 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Without doubt, he’ll no longer be worked like a donkey as he was with Bruce.

But he’s had a serious injury in pretty much every season he has played, including under Howe at Bournemouth. It would be a huge risk going into the season relying on him as our main striker again.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

But he’s had a serious injury in pretty much every season he has played, including under Howe at Bournemouth. It would be a huge risk going into the season relying on him as our main striker again.

And that's why they bought Chris Wood in January. I don't rate him, you don't rate him, and most others don't either, but that's who they went with at the time mostly due to the situation we were in. Unfortunately, that means he's going to be the fall back option for the meantime. Fortunately he's only on a two year deal.

We can only but hope that as I mentioned previously, he has someone playing off him this season, in order to reduce the amount of hold up/link up play he is involved in. Also, hopefully with improvements to other key parts of the team, we'll see more goals from all other areas too, so we're not overly reliant on him if and when he plays. 

11 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Also ... I think if Wilson gets injured again, particularly ahead of January, that will be it for him. A new first team number 9 will be bought to replace him, and he'll be relegated to being a bench option longer term, with Wood then being moved on next summer.

Edited by KaKa

2 minutes ago, STM said:

Got a feeling that our transfer window is going to explode into action next week.

Right then next week ? Given today is the first day of this week do you mean week commencing 5th or 12th ?

26 minutes ago, madras said:

Right then next week ? Given today is the first day of this week do you mean week commencing 5th or 12th ?

I meant from tommorow onwards. Fingers crossed talk of two medicals were true. ? 

I think it might be a bit of a slow burn because a lot will be dependent on shifting the daft contract deadwood. If Ritchie, Gayle, Hayden, Hendrick, Clark all get shot in a short space of time, only then do I see us having a really exciting week where a pile of new players come in. Plus negotiations are probably going to be tediously drawn out with every target, on account of everyone wanting to extract as much Saudi wealth from a deal as possible. I bet we'll be on the go right up until the deadline. 

So I think think it's probably better for people's mental health if they prepare to be patient. :lol:

13 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

So I think think it's probably better for people's mental health if they prepare to be patient. :lol:

Me waiting for this week's round of rumours...

B294yi7CQAAeD01?format=jpg&name=900x900

16 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Don’t think we’re trying to make signings like that just to finish 8th to 10th, do we?

We will make signings that the club think will make us a better side and see us progress up the league towards the top 6 over the next few seasons, no way a club in our position would be saying in meetings - 'Right we will sign him, him and him so we can finish top 6 without question next season'. All you are guaranteed to achieve with that approach is placing unwarranted pressure on Howe, the rest of the coaches and the players.

Also it might not even be true. 

Edited by Nine

2 minutes ago, Nine said:

We will make signings that the club think will make us a better side and see us progress up the league towards the top 6 over the next few seasons, no way a club in our position would be saying in meetings 'Right we will sign him, him and him so we can finish top 6 without question next season'. 

We’ve got 7 points to make up to get up to 7th. That should be the minimum of where we should be aiming. If we can’t overtake Brighton & Wolves and seriously give West Ham & Leicester a push for 7th spot then it’s been a missed opportunity.

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We’ve got 7 points to make up to get up to 7th. That should be the minimum of where we should be aiming. If we can’t overtake Brighton & Wolves and seriously give West Ham & Leicester a push for 7th spot then it’s been a missed opportunity.

But its never that straightforward, no matter how much money you can (or do) throw around - Leeds finished 6 points off of the top 6 last season. We will be building a squad in Howes vision over the next year or two for a real established team of players that are equipped to make a push for where the owners want us to be, evolving that much in one summer window is a huge ask. If we manage to finish top 6 next season? Us, Howe, the owners and the team will all be very happy no doubt but I highly doubt that is the target they have set internally.

Edited by Nine

Leeds didn’t spend last summer to kick on though. It’s pretty clear from being linked with Ekitike, Botman & Diaby for about £130m combined that we’re looking big. Top 6 is a tough ask (though I personally think Arsenal are there for the taking next season), but pushing West Ham, Leicester & probably Villa for 7th spot should be the target.

All about building the squad with the right players for me, not really interested in positions or points for the next couple of years. Just spend the next 5-7 windows adding to the squad gradually then hitting the button to smash 2 or 3 out of the way. 

I'm a patient man, I'll wait. 

1 minute ago, midds said:

All about building the squad with the right players for me, not really interested in positions or points for the next couple of years. Just spend the next 5-7 windows adding to the squad gradually then hitting the button to smash 2 or 3 out of the way. 

I'm a patient man, I'll wait. 

As a fan that’s fair, but do you reckon the likes of Bruno and whatever signings we make this summer are thinking 3-4 years down the line like we are? 

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

As a fan that’s fair, but do you reckon the likes of Bruno and whatever signings we make this summer are thinking 3-4 years down the line like we are? 

I do tbh. If they've got anything about them then they'll know it's not going to be quick or easy to break that top 6 cartel. It will take time and sustained investment to do it and I absolutely believe it'll happen and I think they think the same. We just need to go big and strong when we're ready to do so, going too big and too strong when we're just a shell risks everything. Slowly slowly :thup:

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Leeds didn’t spend last summer to kick on though. It’s pretty clear from being linked with Ekitike, Botman & Diaby for about £130m combined that we’re looking big. Top 6 is a tough ask (though I personally think Arsenal are there for the taking next season), but pushing West Ham, Leicester & probably Villa for 7th spot should be the target.

They did spend £50m (£100m the summer before that) but most importantly they didnt sell their key players either, if you'd have told a Leeds fan last summer that they would sack Bielsa and be the skin of their teeth away from being relegated they would have laughed at you. All im saying is its never that easy, a club trying to crack top 6 can chuck money at it coming off a good season all they like but alot more has to go right before they make it (Everton). It will be a gradual evolution of not just our squad but our entire club over the next 5 years before we really are talking imo, lets not forget only 6 months ago we still had Ashley and Bruce in charge. We could obviously get lucky and hit the ground running to break top 6 before that but staying there consistently is another thing entirely.