More transfer rumours

midds

Just now, madras said:

Do you think things have ground to a halt or that they've learned how to keep things quiet ?

I reckon it’s a bit of both. Our most pressing areas all window have been a striker and right winger. Our main target looks to have fallen through and although there may be deals currently in play, there could also be total stasis

1 minute ago, madras said:

Why ? He doesn't seem very good at getting moves even for players wanted by other clubs.

Doesn’t he only have one player of note? I was making the point that he was getting a lot of hype around Ekitike. There’s no indications yet that anyone is in for Gayle, Ritchie or others 

32 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Not sure I buy the reports saying we were going to slow down so Eddie could assess our attacking options. What does he have to assess, apart from Anderson? We’re surely working extremely hard to make some deals happen. If we’re really in for Broja it’ll come out soon 

We aren't slowing down so Eddie can assess the squad, we are slowing down to assess the market.

Genuinely couldn't care less about the perceived lack of movement at the moment. I'd rather we signed nobody than brought people in purely for the sake of making some signings. More than happy to stick to the plan and pursue the right players, even if it means we fail to bring anyone in.

1 minute ago, STM said:

We aren't slowing down so Eddie can assess the squad, we are slowing down to assess the market.

Aren’t we always assessing the market? I thought the journo was saying he was looking at his options in the squad before reassessing

Just now, The Prophet said:

From plate spinning to recycling the same names since May, North East journalism with its finger on the pulse today.

Seems the links have totally dried up since Ashworth arrived.

"Latest" fuck off Pete ya pleb

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Aren’t we always assessing the market? I thought the journo was saying he was looking at his options in the squad before reassessing

According Waugh its a combination of assessing the market for the right player at the right price and focusing on shifting a few out too.

To me it reads like they have nothing to write since Botman signed and we walked away from Ekitike, so they're filling column inches.

Broja to Everton would make some sense having lost Richarlison. A loan would work for their lack of FFP room. I would imagine he is not our top target if we aren't also moving for him though. 

Could also mean DCL is on his way as Broja is more similar to DCL than Richarlison. If Dominic wants to leave they will probably cash in and look at another bigger money striker to accompany Broja. Seems unlikely they would let both go this summer though. 

For me if we only make one more signing I would throw everything at Diabe to make it happen. He is a genuine matchwinner, his goals and assists stats are fantastic.

Earlier in the window, the reports coming out of Germany were that Leverkusen would only listen to offers around the €60 million mark, which ties im with what Jacobs was saying about a flat fee of around £40 million and £10 million in add-ons. He's probably a bit overvalued, but if he's our number one target, it certainly isn't a mad fee in the current market. I think if we can convince the player, we'll table a bid.

14 minutes ago, duo said:

Utter stupidity offering him a new contract 

It wasn't stupidity it was laziness, totally in line with the previous regime of Ashley and Bruce. Decision needed to be made - move him on and scout/sign a better younger version? Na, fuck it, just extend his deal. Job done, easy peasy. 

Ekitike and Botman were both known targets from January, with their clubs and agents very publicly playing things out.

Target was actually a bit of a surprise (most here including me thought we'd moved on), and Pope happened quite fast from initial rumours to being done too.

It's a bit annoying in a transfer rumours thread, but I really doubt we're doing nothing in the background. But maybe it's just that less is leaking out, and I do wonder if that's partly Ashworth's influence.

Anyway, I'd love someone like Diaby. A genuine threat on the other wing means you can't risk doubling up on St Max on the other side quite so much. And if you flip the wingers to the opposite sides every now and then, you pull their defence everywhere.

But it sounds like they're all over that anyway. A striker and an attacking wide player (whether bought or some loan structure), plus anyone else we think might be good and too good to pass up and that's a great window.

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

According Waugh its a combination of assessing the market for the right player at the right price and focusing on shifting a few out too.

To me it reads like they have nothing to write since Botman signed and we walked away from Ekitike, so they're filling column inches.

Aye good old Baby Ryder. As I keep saying, I wouldn't listen to a word any of them say. It's obvious that they're just putting out clickbait articles, because I would put money on that Ashworth, or the owners, won't be giving anything away.

Edited by et tu brute

I think throwing everything at Diaby/Leverkusen to get him in isn't an entirely stupid idea if it works but it also undoubtedly undoes the work we have put in so far in convincing the footballing world we aren't going to overpay or be forced into massive deals just because of who our owners are. 

We may well get Diaby using the kitchen sink tactic but we could well blow our reputation for being hard ballers before it's even cemented.

Alot of clubs/players will look at the Ekitike deal (which seemed hours away from being signed and sealed) and think differently about us than they perhaps did in January or May.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

That said, I think we'll know if we bid for Diaby. It's in Leverkusens and his agents interest to start a bidding war, particularly if PSG are interested.

I agree if anything comes out it will be from a players side, however our journalists try and make out that they have the inside word from our side, on the whole transfer strategy. Bullshit.

If we can get a fee which is closer to 40m than 50m i think we will do business. We need to make sure this lad actually wants to join first though.

We will be keeping negotiations quiet to prevent someone else steaming in and we will pretend we aren't really that interested.

53 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Ekitike and Botman were both known targets from January, with their clubs and agents very publicly playing things out.

Target was actually a bit of a surprise (most here including me thought we'd moved on), and Pope happened quite fast from initial rumours to being done too.

It's a bit annoying in a transfer rumours thread, but I really doubt we're doing nothing in the background. But maybe it's just that less is leaking out, and I do wonder if that's partly Ashworth's influence.

Anyway, I'd love someone like Diaby. A genuine threat on the other wing means you can't risk doubling up on St Max on the other side quite so much. And if you flip the wingers to the opposite sides every now and then, you pull their defence everywhere.

But it sounds like they're all over that anyway. A striker and an attacking wide player (whether bought or some loan structure), plus anyone else we think might be good and too good to pass up and that's a great window.

We've been craving someone dangerous on right wing/forward area so ASM can't be so heavily marked. Would be very exciting to see teams properly being dragged around. 

Edited by hakka

I kinda get the view about chucking everything we've got at RW. But you're having a laugh if you think we'll get anywhere near 38 games out of Wilson this season. I'll be surprised if he manages 30 tbh because he is the dictionary definition of injury prone. A better striker than Wood is essential if we've aspirations of a Conference League charge. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

I kinda get the view about chucking everything we've got at RW. But you're having a laugh if you think we'll get anywhere near 38 games out of Wilson this season. I'll be surprised if he manages 30 tbh because he is the dictionary definition of injury prone. A better striker than Wood is essential if we've aspirations of a Conference League charge. 

I think the theory is that we will try and spend big on Diaby and then go after Broja on loan or someone else to be back up to Wilson.

Just now, STM said:

I think the theory is that we will try and spend big on Diaby and then go after Broja on loan or someone else to be back up to Wilson.

That would be ideal if we can't afford to spend big on both. :thup:

Just now, Yorkie said:

That would be ideal if we can't afford to spend big on both. :thup:

Well we will probably have an obligation on Broja. Therefore we can pay for that next summer.