More transfer rumours

midds

Guest HTT II
Just now, Dr Jinx said:

Ciaran Clark would be ideal for a mid level championship side, he’s made some absolute howlers but there was a point when he was our most consistent defender. (Under Rafa)

If you are looking at trying to get promoted, a good few of our surplus players would be a home banker almost, but if you even sign them on shirt-term deals they are not going to be viable once promoted, or if loaned, you’re looking at replacing a good number of players when promoted. I think the more savvy clubs will not look to any of our players. Basically we are hoping for Brucie boy to come in for a few of them. If he does I hope they rinse them for all they have!

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, jonny1403 said:

100%. Regardless of what happens this is a direct result of relying on Championship players for far too long.

Which ironically served us so well for a period, but ended up losing us Rafa as he wanted better. We now move on and we will and hopefully they do and again as critical as I’ve been of one or two of them over the years and as shite as some are, I hope they get decent moves and have a decent end to their careers. 

12 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Some players see their contracts out even if they don’t play. The majority don’t though if they are not wanted, they go out on loan or go on a free or get released. Those that do stay to pick up their wages are parasites IMO. 

They go out on loan - but their wages are paid in full. Only an idiotic player would go on loan and get paid less than what he's contracted too.*

When Bale went on loan - he was getting his full pay - Spurs picked up a % and Madrid paid the rest. Nobody wanted to put in on his wages the next season, so he stayed and sat on his arse for the season. You were saying they should celebrate him as a total legend the other day.

*unless there's a significant upside elsewhere.

Edited by The College Dropout

Guest HTT II
Just now, The College Dropout said:

They go out on loan - but their wages are paid in full. Only an idiotic player would go on loan and get paid less than what he's contracted too.

When Bale went on loan - he was getting his full pay - Spurs picked up a % and Madrid paid the rest. Nobody wanted to put in on his wages the next season, so he stayed and sat on his arse for the season. You were saying they should celebrate him as a total legend the other day.

If Gayle won us what he helped them win, I’d pay his wages myself to sit on his arse here… anyway, it’s concluded!

Nevermind taking a pay cut, I honestly don't think some players would be hugely keen to move even if we subsidised a % of their wages so there is no take home loss to their salaries.

Gayle is contracted for another 2 years until he's 34. He can come in and train at a PL club and then go home and see his wife and kids every day who are settled here. If he goes out on loan, unless it is to Boro, he probably has to move down to wherever he's going and rent a place. If he moves permanently it would need to be on a long contract (more than 2 years) to justify it and then you need to be convinced of moving your family to said place. 

Obviously most players like a really playing football matches but also it's a job and at this point of their careers their families possibly take priority.

Players with 1 year left might take the chance to go away and prove themselves so they can then earn another contract afterwards up to 34/35/36 or move permanent if a longer contract is on the table from the buying club. But either way they're probably set for life financially regardless so you can see why this becomes much more nuanced than fans think it is.

Ultimately the blame lies at the previous owners for handing out these contracts - because they didn't want to pay transfer fees for upgrades as there was no desire to develop the team forward.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

Nevermind taking a pay cut, I honestly don't think some players would be hugely keen to move even if we subsidised a % of their wages so there is no take home loss to their salaries.

Gayle is contracted for another 2 years until he's 34. He can come in and train at a PL club and then go home and see his wife and kids every day who are settled here. If he goes out on loan, unless it is to Boro, he probably has to move down to wherever he's going and rent a place. If he moves permanently it would need to be on a long contract (more than 2 years) to justify it and then you need to be convinced of moving your family to said place. 

Obviously most players like a really playing football matches but also it's a job and at this point of their careers their families possibly take priority.

Players with 1 year left might take the chance to go away and prove themselves so they can then earn another contract afterwards up to 34/35/36 or move permanent if a longer contract is on the table from the buying club. But either way they're probably set for life financially regardless so you can see why this becomes much more nuanced than fans think it is.

Ultimately the blame lies at the previous owners for handing out these contracts - because they didn't want to pay transfer fees for upgrades as there was no desire to develop the team forward.

I think we can all agree on that and you are 100% correct. 

If you were a player and the club asked you to move for a 70% wage reduction so they could bring in a replacement on twice the wage you were already on you'd probably not be over the moon, like. 

11 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He will go there if Fwrank wants him!

Quick way to find out about a players character.

Mind you, if it's a loan with an obligation, we can blow Everton out of the water with whatever loan fee etc we want.

Broja might not have a choice.

17 minutes ago, HTT II said:

If Gayle won us what he helped them win, I’d pay his wages myself to sit on his arse here… anyway, it’s concluded!

Gayle helped us hit our strategic objectives of promotion and staying up but hasn't been a factor in 3 years. Likewise Bale helped Real reach their strategic objectives of winning everything but he also hasn't been a factor in 3 years.

One has the talent to be a key player but he's also happy to be a part-time footballer. Evidenced by going to USA at 32 years old.

I've never done it but I imagine uprooting settled families is very difficult and obviously an obstacle to NUFC's squad planners atm, and I wouldn't blame anyone getting paid farcical amounts (relative to their output/value) for staying put. Dwight Gayle owes us nothing.

However, presumably it's significantly less difficult to up sticks when you're absolutely loaded and can afford any amount of assistance you could possibly wish for to ease that transition. Plus you'd expect most Championship clubs these days to be professional enough to help new signings with that sort of thing too.

It would be more difficult with loans, I imagine, cos you can't commit to the new area and it probably feels like you're a little bit in limbo. 

But unless Clark, Ritchie and Hendrick are going to be satisfied with a very nominal wage post-NUFC - or just plan to retire at 33/33/32 - I'd expect them to have at least some motivation to leave Newcastle in favour of more than zero football. Gayle will be hardest to find a suitable move for as he's older than that lot.

If Dan Ashworth can't out manoeuvre a skint Everton, something is seriously amiss.

Yes Lampard might know Broja but if we lay down our plan on the table, in comparison to Evertons and he decides to join Everton, well perhaps he's not a player we should be persuing.

Edited by STM

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

I've never done it but I imagine uprooting settled families is very difficult and obviously an obstacle to NUFC's squad planners atm, and I wouldn't blame anyone getting paid farcical amounts (relative to their output/value) for staying put. Dwight Gayle owes us nothing.

However, presumably it's significantly less difficult to up sticks when you're absolutely loaded and can afford any amount of assistance you could possibly wish for to ease that transition. Plus you'd expect most Championship clubs these days to be professional enough to help new signings with that sort of thing too.

It would be more difficult with loans, I imagine, cos you can't commit to the new area and it probably feels like you're a little bit in limbo. 

But unless Clark, Ritchie and Hendrick are going to be satisfied with a very nominal wage post-NUFC - or just plan to retire at 33/33/32 - I'd expect them to have at least some motivation to leave Newcastle in favour of more than zero football. Gayle will be hardest to find a suitable move for as he's older than that lot.

Them and their agents will have done their maths. Jeff Hendrick is rumoured to be paid 4.2m for the next 2 years at Newcastle. If he can only get £2m over the next period and no gurantee of a contract after - he should stay.

Also - eventually we'll want to get back *some* of his wages back. So we'll loan him out and subsidise his wages anyway. SO he'll play eventually. He'll not blink first if he has any sense.

26 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Everton in for Broja.

Would be a shame to see that but can understand they are going to need another ST just as much as we are now.

Depends how much we want him. 

1 minute ago, Cronky said:

Broja on loan would be a good option for this season at least. 

I'm not sure that Chelsea will want to do us any favours though. Threat to the big six and all that.

We are no where near being enough of a threat for it to be a factor.

I'm not sure that Chelsea will want to do us any favours though. Threat to the big six and all that.

A loan would be absolutely fine, however I would like the final fee (option to buy) to be agreed beforehand. Dont want another Willock scenario whereby he came to us worth fairly little and then because of what he did his value rocketed up.

Maybe if Everton get Broja

we get Calvert Lewin ?

either way - not fussed 

I have trust in what we do and what Eddie Howe and the team want 

if it doesn’t work out , I am sure we will look to replace / improve 

2 minutes ago, STM said:

We are no where near being enough of a threat for it to be a factor.

Not in the short term, no. Broja wouldn't launch us into the top six.

But we are a long-term threat. The financial stability of the top six does rest on them getting regular European football. I assume other clubs are interested in Broja as well, in which case Chelsea might say to him you can leave, but not to the Mags. 

We haven't signed a player from the top six yet, either on loan or through buying.

It would be a strange turn of events if Broja went to Everton and then we signed DCL.

Everton may be desperate to get some money in while they can. No doubt the FFP guys are breathing down their necks.

48 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Everton in for Broja.

Since its Chelsea they will surely prefer to deal with fat frank than us, shame as I'd like to see Broja here