More transfer rumours

midds

They've actually been quite smart with splitting the total spend this window into the 2 financial windows. Obviously there was the big splurge in January and you'll need to add Targett, Pope and Willock iirc to that but the Botman fee is in the following year. I'd predict another 1 or 2 biggish fees this window with little to nothing done in January or before 1st July 2023 just to keep things ticking over nicely regarding ffp. Spread the fees out, jack the sponsorship deals up steadily over the next 2 years then try and have a huge window in maybe summer 2025 

Nearly quarter of a million followers and followed by Mark Douglas and Keith Downie.

Wonder if we will hear more about this in the next week. Be interesting to see if Leverkusen are receptive.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

Nearly quarter of a million followers and followed by Mark Douglas and Keith Downie.

Wonder if we will hear more about this in the next week. Be interesting to see if Leverkusen are receptive.

Schira, Schira !

Craving a genuine threat on the right. Fraser, Miggy, and Murphy aren't worrying anyone. 

Also, sense genuine frustration from some our more talented players. Especially, ASM. We'll get more out of Trippier, Bruno, Shelvey, ASM, Botman, etc. with a runner that can punish opponents.

Edited by gazza ladra

If we have a chance to get Diaby we will pay what it takes no problem. I doubt he's genuinely interested to come here though. PSG and Bayern will match our offer the second we bid. You never know though, might fancy the premier league.. he plays as if he's a fan of Ben Arfa :)

These are his quotes from last month:

“Paris is my training club, the club that taught me everything. I do not rule out a return. If the PSG is brought to contact me, I will think about it as for any other club. Yes inevitably the upcoming World Cup will be a factor for the transfer window. It will be a difficult choice but for the moment I am focused on the France team and I will settle down afterwards with my family and my agents. “

“It's true that in my thinking I would like to join a club that plays the Champions League and the big games. I'm going to think about it but I'm focused on the France team and we'll see later. “

4 minutes ago, huss9 said:

really need more quality in midfield. struggled against the better teams, and no depth.

I keep saying this and I keep hearing people say we can wait until next year. If we really want to move to the next step this season, then a striker, right winger AND a central midfielder is required. A midfield of Bruno, Joelington and Shelvey/Longstaff are not going to dominate games. 

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I keep saying this and I keep hearing people say we can wait until next year. If we really want to move to the next step this season, then a striker, right winger AND a central midfielder is required. A midfield of Bruno, Joelington and Shelvey/Longstaff are not going to dominate games. 

No, not against the very best, but they bossed Arsenal.

Edited by gazza ladra

Although midfield is an area we still need to strengthen, I suspect our manager will assess them during the first half of the season and then maybe dip into the market in January.

After all, much of our squad never really got into any sort of form last season until January, such was the poor level of pre season and general fitness they had.

9 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Although midfield is an area we still need to strengthen, I suspect our manager will assess them during the first half of the season and then maybe dip into the market in January.

After all, much of our squad never really got into any sort of form last season until January, such was the poor level of pre season and general fitness they had.

You maybe right, but even during our great run, we struggled to get 40%. Getting a proven quality midfielder alongside Bruno will transform the team imho

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

You maybe right, but even during our great run, we struggled to get 40%. Getting a proven quality midfielder alongside Bruno will transform the team imho

While I fully agree with you, I think the way they are going is identifying positions methodically.. the midfield currently is a known quantity and they can do better.

You stick someone like Diaby up in the wide right forward position and suddenly all sorts of space starts opening up in midfield.

We didn’t even have Wilson for basically most of that good run but when he did come back we looked sharp up front.

Wide right is the main problem position, everywhere else we’re not too bad for the moment.

9 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

While I fully agree with you, I think the way they are going is identifying positions methodically.. the midfield currently is a known quantity and they can do better.

You stick someone like Diaby up in the wide right forward position and suddenly all sorts of space starts opening up in midfield.

We didn’t even have Wilson for basically most of that good run but when he did come back we looked sharp up front.

Wide right is the main problem position, everywhere else we’re not too bad for the moment.

Hear what you're saying, still don't agree as gaving even a half season of Shelvey/Longstaff as starters is a big no from me. You add a quality midfielder with someone like Diaby and then you're talking. We will just have to see what happens for the rest of this window.

5 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

You're forgetting that Joseph George Willock exists. Didn't get the goals of his loan spell but grew right into the season after Leeds away and before his injury.

No I hadn't, as I don't think he would start anyway. He's a decent squad player and a decent option to bring off the bench. I do however think either Shelvey or Longstaff are nailed on starters though (probably Shelvey) and therein lies the problem with me.

Edited by et tu brute

2 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

Longstaff was 5th choice all second half of last season. In what way is it now him or Shelvey? 

Just think it's the way Howe prefers to play his midfield. As I said I think it will be Shelvey. Shelvey was a shoe in before his injury. No matter what the combination was in midfield, we still struggled to get 40% during games. As I said, I think a new midfielder is a must, if you or others don't agree (or think we can wait until a future transfer window) then that's fine to have your opinion. We will just have to wait to see what the rest of the window brings.