More transfer rumours

midds

4 hours ago, Nine said:

So did he not sit on the bench for 2 years during his prime at Barca? Doesnt exactly strike you as a player that regained the hunger he had at Liverpool does it? [emoji38] Im sure hes a decent lad all told but that speaks volumes tbh, hes done decently at Villa since coming in but its a short stint there which he probably hopes will trigger a bigger club coming in for him. In footballing terms is a luxury #10 player as well, not the type of position we look anything like utilising from what we've seen from Howe so far.

This convo is pointless anyway because as I said hes outside our wage bracket. I get that alot of fans will want him (big name, previous success) and will look for reasons why the transfer would make sense but at 200k odd a week it just doesnt. Also its amusing to see that its already silly season around here, I've seen some lately that have seriously wanted Ben Arfa back [emoji38]

No he didn't sit on the Barca bench for the past two seasons, he was injured for half of the last season and half he played for Barcelona. 200k a week is nothing if we want to compete in the Premier League. At some point we need to start spending that money if our ambitions are the CL. I'm not saying we definitely should be going for him. But if we want to succeed we need to bring in a mix of young and experienced. 

24 minutes ago, Flip said:

No he didn't sit on the Barca bench for the past two seasons, he was injured for half of the last season and half he played for Barcelona. 200k a week is nothing if we want to compete in the Premier League. At some point we need to start spending that money if our ambitions are the CL. I'm not saying we definitely should be going for him. But if we want to succeed we need to bring in a mix of young and experienced. 

Besides 18/19 almost half of his limited appearances have been coming off of the bench for either Barca or Bayern (injuries or not). You need to understand we cant bring in players on 200k this summer when the current core of our squad dont earn even half of that, unless you want to upset the dressing room it is just not viable.. it must be done in stages over multiple seasons. 

Experienced and young players yes obviously, but not ones that come in on 200k a week. 

Edited by Nine

2 hours ago, loki679 said:

Paqueta to make up an all Brazilian midfield three would be amazing.

I've absolutely convinced myself that this is a done deal already.

Based on nothing other than he's Bruno's mate. 

Newcastle, West Ham and Southampton have all discussed signing West Brom's Sam Johnstone and now Tottenham are back in the hunt for the England goalkeeper, 29. (Mail on Sunday)

Arsenal's Germany goalkeeper Bernd Leno, 30, is ready to reject a move to Newcastle and return to the Bundesliga this summer. (Daily Star Sunday)

10 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Imagine the questions in relation to the Saudi regime, if we signed a German player. If I was German I'd avoid us like the plague.

What's the issue between Germany and Saudi Arabia ?

As great as Paqueta might turn out to be isn’t he an out and out #10 much like Coutinho? I can’t see how a luxury 10 and ASM fit into a starting 11 together, not without a world class DM behind them anyway. Our side with our current squad needs to be far more industrious than those 2 players would allow being on the field together.

Edited by Nine

FC Cologne's Timo Hubers is a £6m target for Newcastle, Leeds and Crystal Palace this summer, while West Ham, Southampton and Fulham are also monitoring the German centre-back, 25. (Mail)

Newcastle have been told £25m will be enough to tempt Union Berlin into selling Nigeria striker Taiwo Awoniyi this summer, although West Ham and Southampton are also interested in the 24-year-old. (Bild - in German)

Newcastle could offer England midfielder Kalvin Phillips a £120,000-a-week deal to sign the 26-year-old from Premier League rivals Leeds. (Mirror)

On 03/04/2022 at 22:28, Nine said:

As great as Paqueta might turn out to be isn’t he an out and out #10 much like Coutinho? I can’t see how a luxury 10 and ASM fit into a starting 11 together, not without a world class DM behind them anyway. Our side with our current squad needs to be far more industrious than those 2 players would allow being on the field together.

Paqueta can play many positions. For the national side he has been used as a winger, striker, box to box and second striker. His playing style is not similar to Coutinho at all. Paqueta is a bit more technical and brute force, while Coutinho is the classic #10 with creativity and flair. Paqueta is far from a luxury player as his work rate is unbelievable, or at least for the national side. Seen him only once or twice for Lyon so no idea how he plays there.