More transfer rumours

midds

1 hour ago, arnonel said:

Paqueta is a beast. Should be no.1 target.

So strong on the ball, especially in tight spaces. 

Good eye for a pass, and breaking forward from deep.

Check this to wet the appetite: 

Really looks a player but I think there’s more than one reason that we won’t sign him this summer. Not sure he and Bruno can play in the same midfield without an elite DM behind them and I don’t think Bruno in the DLP role with Paqueta and Willock/Joe ahead is viable either, how suited he is the to the PL may be a question to ask as well and also he would come for pretty big wages. 

Edited by Nine

23 minutes ago, Nine said:

Really looks a player but I think there’s more than one reason that we won’t sign him this summer. Not sure he and Bruno can play in the same midfield without an elite DM behind them and I don’t think Bruno in the DLP role with Paqueta and Willock/Joe ahead is viable either, how suited he is the to the PL may be a question to ask as well and also he would come for pretty big wages. 

In an opposing viewpoint, I think he really looks a player, and think that there’s more than one reason that we will at least try and sign him this summer. It’s proven that he and Bruno can, and indeed relish, playing together, even without an ‘elite’ DM alongside them (which ‘elite’ player did it for Lyon?). His wage demand would not be dissimilar to Bruno, given that he’s currently on around £50kpw. I know that you disagree, but even if he wanted more than Bruno, I don’t think the club would instantly dismiss the demands. As to whether he is suited to the PL, I’m not sure why you are questioning it? He has ability, pace (maybe still a little ‘slow’, like Bruno…) technique, an eye for goal, is a team player and can play across the pitch in numerous positions (that we are desperately in need of, to create and score goals). His attitude and character also seem to be top level. I could only see him signing and being an instant fan favourite as well as another dressing room star. 

edit- I think that the only reason why we might not pursue his signing is if the club identifies another player who is even better in all the above…

Edited by Manxst

32 minutes ago, Nine said:

They played together at Lyon and play together in Brazil team

4 minutes ago, Manxst said:

In an opposing viewpoint, I think he really looks a player, and think that there’s more than one reason that we will at least try and sign him this summer. It’s proven that he and Bruno can, and indeed relish, playing together, even without an ‘elite’ DM alongside them (which ‘elite’ player did it for Lyon?). His wage demand would not be dissimilar to Bruno, given that he’s currently on around £50kpw. I know that you disagree, but even if he wanted more than Bruno, I don’t think the club would instantly dismiss the demands. As to whether he is suited to the PL, I’m not sure why you are questioning it? He has ability, pace (maybe still a little ‘slow’, like Bruno…) technique, an eye for goal, is a team player and can play across the pitch in numerous positions. His attitude and character also seem to be top level. I could only see him signing and being an instant fan favourite as well as another dressing room star. 

To be fair Ive seen little of him over 90 minute games, maybe 2 matches at most so he very well could be suited to the prem.. I worded that badly in my other post, should have said I personally haven’t seen enough to say if he’s PL suited but I do know what type of player he is. Cannot compare a midfield in the French league to the PL, I just doubt a midfield of him and Bruno ahead of any DM that isn’t a very good player would be industrious enough against most PL sides.. you saying that he is meant to have a good personality is intriguing mind, that defo ticks a big box for Howe. Wages yeah, if he wants around what Bruno’s on that would be acceptable imo. 

Just now, Nine said:

To be fair Ive seen little of him over 90 minute games, maybe 2 matches at most so he very well could be suited to the prem.. I worded that badly in my other post, should have said I personally haven’t seen enough to say if he’s PL suited but I do know what type of player he is. Cannot compare a midfield in the French league to the PL, I just doubt a midfield of him and Bruno ahead of any DM that isn’t a very good player would be industrious enough against most PL sides.. you saying that he is meant to have a good personality is intriguing mind, that defo ticks a big box for Howe. Wages yeah, if he wants around what Bruno’s on that would be acceptable imo. 

Just seems a bit of a no brainer so long as the financial numbers add up (no reason why they wouldn’t imo) and Lyon play ball. He’s a quality player who has a very good relationship with probably our current best player and would add further quality in the same vein as Bruno to our team.

I think Reims are shitting themselves they're not going to get a good fee for Ekitike now.

he's been out since Feb with a hamstring injury, but there's been a ton of noise, and he's been linked all over the place this week. reeks of a PR jobby.

The question isn't about whether Paqueta is good enough. Not only has the guy got skills but he's also a bit of a unit.

The real question is two fold: 1. Do we see Bruno as a DM or a CM? 2. If we don't see Bruno as a DM, do we prioritise that position over a CM/AM like Paqueta?

Or, we could do as I suggested; try to sign Paqueta and see if there is someone short term who we could sign to do a job for a couple of years in defensive midfield.

Then the question begs itself, if we have Bruno and Shelvey who can play the DM role, do we need to prioritise that position at all next season?

Edited by STM

We have shored up the defence, even without Trippier we are half decent and we almost certain to sign at least one CB in the summer.

So with that in mind and our chronic lack of goals/creativity at times, I'd certainly think I'd rather stick with Bruno and Shelvey as our DM options and go after Paqueta who will give us a spark.

Interesting to see what Howe thinks.

I think Shelvey has been great since Howe came in but Bruno is different gravy and even playing as cdm would offer more going forward and would still chip in with a few goals. 

Big Joe gives him more licence to get forward when the situation arises and would drop in whereas Shelvey doesn't seem to feel confident and making any forward runs. 

Would still be nice to have more options and with injuries and fatigue we definitely need more creative players.

Edited by HWTL

18 minutes ago, STM said:

The question isn't about whether Paqueta is good enough. Not only has the guy got skills but he's also a bit of a unit.

The real question is two fold: 1. Do we see Bruno as a DM or a CM? 2. If we don't see Bruno as a DM, do we prioritise that position over a CM/AM like Paqueta?

Or, we could do as I suggested; try to sign Paqueta and see if there is someone short term who we could sign to do a job for a couple of years in defensive midfield.

Then the question begs itself, if we have Bruno and Shelvey who can play the DM role, do we need to prioritise that position at all next season?

Why can we not sign a Paqueta type as well as a DM type to both complement Bruno? Why only a short term signing? The club has been strongly linked to the likes of Haidara, Kamara, Phillips in the past, as well as the more attacking players. I think they’re well aware that we need to strengthen both positions. 

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

Why can we not sign a Paqueta type as well as a DM type to both complement Bruno? Why only a short term signing? The club has been strongly linked to the likes of Haidara, Kamara, Phillips in the past, as well as the more attacking players. I think they’re well aware that we need to strengthen both positions. 

Someone like Bissouma maybe?

Just now, Manxst said:

We can do both but I'm of the belief that we won't outlay the best part of 70m on two CMs this summer, when we already have 5.

Again, I'd be delighted to see us show those levels of investment but given we NEED a CF a RW and a CB, who will all cost a canny amount, I can't see it.

My short term thing, was in reference to a Trippier type move.

1 minute ago, STM said:

We can do both but I'm of the belief that we won't outlay the best part of 70m on two CMs this summer, when we already have 5.

Again, I'd be delighted to see us show those levels of investment but given we NEED a CF a RW and a CB, who will all cost a canny amount, I can't see it.

My short term thing, was in reference to a Trippier type move.

I think they will utilise the free transfer market for at least one of them to save that outlay- don’t know if Kamara has signed for anyone (know he’s linked with Atletico I think?) but he’d be ideal, or someone in the same situation. Plus Longstaff contract is still up this summer, no? 

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

I think they will utilise the free transfer market for at least one of them to save that outlay- don’t know if Kamara has signed for anyone (know he’s linked with Atletico I think?) but he’d be ideal, or someone in the same situation. Plus Longstaff contract is still up this summer, no? 

Yeah I was thinking Eriksen as an option.

I'm certain that Longstaff will stay but if I was him I'd move on, he bound to get a decent contract at another PL club and first team football.

We thinking stirker first as the absolute priority and depending who we get will then shape the rest of the window in terms of who they target ? I’m just thinking similar to January where is signing Bruno was more result of not getting our top CB targets.

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We thinking stirker first as the absolute priority and depending who we get will then shape the rest of the window in terms of who they target ? I’m just thinking similar to January where is signing Bruno was more result of not getting our top CB targets.

If that’s the case it’s worked like a dream.

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Was that the case? I was of the thinking that we probably thought Arsenal had the transfer sewn up and when we realised they were waiting until summer, we  immediately jumped in. I don’t see Bruno as having any correlation to the lack of Carlos/Botman etc. I don’t think we’d have gone for Burn if one of those transfers had come off. 

Striker has to be priority.

We must be opportunistic too. I know plenty have scoffed at Tarkowski and Lingard on free transfers but don't be shocked if either of those happen, especially if it means being allowed to move a Murphy or Lascelles out of the door.

Also don't be shocked to see the odd 30 year old cone in, provided they are the right fit. This isn't MAs Newcastle where sell on value is the be all and end all. I don't think any of us would turn our noses up at another Trippier type signing.