More transfer rumours

midds

4 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Diaby seems to be gathering pace with it being more widely reported we’re interested.

Apart from that German tweet, who else has linked us to him?

Fingers crossed it gathers pace a bit.

I usually try and avoid YouTube scouting players I don't know much of, until it's confirmed they are officially joining.

Wish I had stuck to that, he looks perfect to slot into our RW role ?

9 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Apart from that German tweet, who else has linked us to him?

Fingers crossed it gathers pace a bit.

Is it not just various accounts quoting the one that said we have started negotiaions for Diaby?

Also hasn't it already been reported by a reliable german journalist that he wouldn't be interested in joining us due to no Champions League?

Would love it if we managed to convice Diaby to sign though.

12 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Diaby would be an incredible statement signing, perfect for what we need, and at a great age. Still think it's a long shot for us right now but would be absolutely ideal.

Totally agree, it's dreamland stuff.

A lot of the reliable Bundesliga journos seem to think he isn’t interested as he wants Champions League football, so convincing the player will be difficult. You'd think if that's correct we won't even bother bidding.

Edited by The Prophet

23 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

No one credible.

Are the athletic not credible these days? 

Diaby is "top of the wanted list for a right-sided forward — which, alongside a young striker, is the primary position they hope to strengthen...

Just now, gdm said:

Are the athletic not credible these days? 

Diaby is "top of the wanted list for a right-sided forward — which, alongside a young striker, is the primary position they hope to strengthen...

My bad, I read it wrong. 

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’ve never seen Diaby but his stats last season are brilliant for a winger.

Haven't seen him other than some youtube scouting, but he looks amazing, rapid, good finisher and completely two footed. He'll do for me.

33 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I like the fact he shoots with both feet.

Shooting with your wrong foot isn't that hard, I can drill in a low and hard shot with my right which is (was) normally just for standing on. What I liked watching YT was a couple of times curling passes in behind  the defence into the forwards path with his right.

Also hadn't realised he'd played quite a bit on the left last season. Love the idea of being able to switch wingers sides mid game.

30 minutes ago, madras said:

Shooting with your wrong foot isn't that hard, I can drill in a low and hard shot with my right which is (was) normally just for standing on. What I liked watching YT was a couple of times curling passes in behind  the defence into the forwards path with his right.

Also hadn't realised he'd played quite a bit on the left last season. Love the idea of being able to switch wingers sides mid game.

But it is very difficult. Messi scores something like 12% of his goals with his right. Ronaldo 20% on the left foot. Callum Wilson is at 16-20%. Diaby seems to score a good amount with his weaker foot - higher than average.

Edited by The College Dropout

It's gone very quiet on outgoings. I think we're going to have a real challenge shifting players on.

The players we need to shift are all on PL wages but in many cases are of Championship quality. You're not going to get fees for players like that. Particularly when every potential buyer knows you want rid.

So therefore in many cases it's going to be a case of subsidising wages to loan them out or subsidise their wages for sales. However in a lot cases the likes of Gayle, Clark, Darlow, Fernandez etc have been here years and are settled in the NE. In their early 30s now they have young families with kids starting school. You have to convince them to go and play elsewhere or move away permanently. It requires motivation to want to go and play every week and uprooting their routines or families to do so.

For no financial benefit will they do so? If you have a permanent contract here why move on? Instead come in and train near your settled home and get paid. There's also an outside chance you make the final 25 if you hang around right until the last day so there's reduced motivation to push for a move Asap.

The ones that will move on are those still wanting to progress in their careers (e.g. Woodman) or who have long expressed an interest in moving back further south (e.g. Hayden). 

Our isolated location works against us here too. There isn't any other PL clubs nearby - and only Boro have the financial potential to take on some of the deadwood. If you're a PL club in London there's a whole host of clubs you could dump players on without uprooting those players lives.

Edited by ponsaelius

33 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

But it is very difficult. Messi scores something like 12% of his goals with his right. Ronaldo 20% on the left foot. Callum Wilson is at 16-20%. Diaby seems to score a good amount with his weaker foot - higher than average.

Maybe they would score more with their "wrong" foot if they played predominantly on the other aide meaning more chances fell to that side ? Anyhow, like I say, it was his passes with his "wrong" foot that I was more impressed with.

Edit.....its after watching him on YT I had to check as when he's shooting with his right it doesn't look natural, like a thousand time better version of myself, I can get a shot away with my right, usually hard, low and straight.

Edited by madras

17 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

It's gone very quiet on outgoings. I think we're going to have a real challenge shifting players on.

The players we need to shift are all on PL wages but in many cases are of Championship quality. You're not going to get fees for players like that. Particularly when every potential buyer knows you want rid.

So therefore in many cases it's going to be a case of subsidising wages to loan them out or subsidise their wages for sales. However in a lot cases the likes of Gayle, Clark, Darlow, Fernandez etc have been here years and are settled in the NE. In their early 30s now they have young families with kids starting school. You have to convince them to go and play elsewhere or move away permanently. It requires motivation to want to go and play every week and uprooting their routines or families to do so.

For no financial benefit will they do so? If you have a permanent contract here why move on? Instead come in and train near your settled home and get paid. There's also an outside chance you make the final 25 if you hang around right until the last day so there's reduced motivation to push for a move Asap.

The ones that will move on are those still wanting to progress in their careers (e.g. Woodman) or who have long expressed an interest in moving back further south (e.g. Hayden). 

Our isolated location works against us here too. There isn't any other PL clubs nearby - and only Boro have the financial potential to take on some of the deadwood. If you're a PL club in London there's a whole host of clubs you could dump players on without uprooting those players lives.

Great post. It annoys me when our fans have a go at players who aren't willing to move on like Clark in January. Why should they take a pay cut and uproot their family if they don't want to? He's 32, had a long career and won't get anything like he is on at NUFC again. Perfectly entitled to stay put.

19 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I think more will shift towards end of window or even deadline day. Probably more likely to be loans to take on part of their wages if we can't sell on - these players are useful to a club somewhere and I doubt they all will want to stay to not play. Some will be thinking more about having a lease of life playing a few more years in lower leagues to stretch out their career over another year here doing nothing.

Being optimistic, I am hopeful the deadwood is mostly cleared out this window.

1 minute ago, jonny1403 said:

Great post. It annoys me when our fans have a go at players who aren't willing to move on like Clark in January. Why should they take a pay cut and uproot their family if they don't want to? He's 32, had a long career and won't get anything like he is on at NUFC again. Perfectly entitled to stay put.

Some if it is fans thinking he's probably earned enough to never have to work again and he'd rather not play to earn a few extra thousand a week, a position most of us would give an arm for. I can see both sides.

6 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

So they just stay and sponge of the club with no desire to actually play football ?

Sitting on your arse at the back-end of your career on £45k a week, versus playing every game for £15k a week. Very, very few of us would choose the latter regardless of how comfortable we were financially.

And I do think that’s the sort of wage disparity a lot of our shite are looking at right now.

Edited by Bompeter