More transfer rumours

midds

Tielmans would be a big statement. We don't NEED him, not in the same way we NEEDED a CB or NEED a RW and ST. However it would be an indulgence that perhaps would be too good to turn down. 

2 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Tielmans would be a big statement. We don't NEED him, not in the same way we NEEDED a CB or NEED a RW and ST. However it would be an indulgence that perhaps would be too good to turn down. 

Yeah, statement that we’re looking to take their place as the side to challenge the ‘big 6’.

20 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Always thought he struggled athletically personally. Nice player, neat and tidy with good passing range but we’d basically be blowing our budget on almost replicating Shelvey. Not seeing what others are seeing on this one. What am I missing?

I feel the same, always has flattered to deceive. He seems too lightweight for midfield and is one of those player who turns up for one in three games. Not my cup of char tbh...

20 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Which is my concern. Still having flashbacks of Liverpool running through our midfield with our players trailing in their wake.  Definitely need a different type of midfielder IMO.

Agree with this. Hence my want of a DM/#6 to cope with that scenario, but it's far from the most pressing matter that requires attention in our squad. Striker and winger are far more important. 

Broja is the link that makes the most sense to me - we need instant improvement but can't buy as many players as we would like to because of FFP, loaning quality ticks both of our boxes. Broja will play and develop more up here than sitting on Chelsea's bench for 85% of the season. Chelsea get a chunky loan fee and lend a good/challenging/dangerous team a player who could help to hopefully take points from Chelsea's direct rivals without having to face him themselves. The whole thing just makes sense for all parties. 

Saints fan on their forum re Broja in response to a q from a Newcastle fan:

He's the next Shearer.

OK, so that's probably not true, but he does have all the attributes to be a very fine striker for someone. As has been mentioned, he is very quick and strong, but its not all straight line stuff, he has ball skills (dribbling) and ability to beat a defender all ends up. That's rare at the top level.

I think his touch is decent too. Some Saints fans criticised he link up play, but it looked OK to me. He certainly looks at home at this level - he's a premiership standard player - there is no disputing that, but can he become a `Prem great'?

There were a few occasions last season when he beat a man, the angle was tight and he still went for a shot, often skewing the ball wide. Some fans weren't happy at that. The term greedy was used and a lack of vision, but IMO you need strikers that take responsibility and are a little greedy. You don't want the skewing/shanking it wide though of course, and perhaps that is where he can improve - choosing not to shoot when its really not on. I should say that he didn't do this a loads, maybe five or six times, but it was noticeable. Of course, its easy to say he can improve there, but its a lot harder to actually do it.

When it comes to attitude, that is something that will be argued about on here. Some suggested he switched off in the run in last season, but I'd counter that he looked royally miffed when dropped and seemed desperate for more goals. Perhaps that was for personal gain rather than the team, but who knows.  All our strikers were completely starved of service, so I don't buy into the idea that he was on the beach before others. We were shite, everyone played shite. I don't see a lack of work rate or effort, ever. To get this far you have work your socks off. It makes me laugh when people question them as people. 

My money would be on West Ham getting him. He took them to pieces a couple of times, so they have seen the best of him. For me, £25m is a good price.

Just now, midds said:

Broja is the link that makes the most sense to me - we need instant improvement but can't buy as many players as we would like to because of FFP, loaning quality ticks both of our boxes. Broja will play and develop more up here than sitting on Chelsea's bench for 85% of the season. Chelsea get a chunky loan fee and lend a good/challenging/dangerous team a player who could help to hopefully take points from Chelsea's direct rivals without having to face him themselves. The whole thing just makes sense for all parties. 

Great point 

1 hour ago, et tu brute said:

Wasn't he against the Saudi deal?, if so that maybe the reason. Fair enough if it was and he feels so strongly about it.

Nah it wasn't that, he didn't agree with some aspects of it, but he was happy enough with us being a football club again. I think he posted his picture on here recently, maybe he wamts to go incognito again.

9 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Agree with this. Hence my want of a DM/#6 to cope with that scenario, but it's far from the most pressing matter that requires attention in our squad. Striker and winger are far more important. 

This is what I've been saying, I know everyone wants Paqueta but I personally think a quality DM would see us much more effective against the top 7 or 8 sides in the league. Our midfield isnt robust or industrious enough without a DM with destroyer attributes in certain games, we saw this vs City, Liverpool and Spurs. 

Edited by Nine

11 minutes ago, Nine said:

This is what I've been saying, I know everyone want Paqueta but I personally think a quality DM would see us much more effective against the top 7 or 8 sides in the league. Our midfield isnt robust or industrious enough without a DM with destroyer attributes in certain games, we saw this vs City, Liverpool and Spurs. 

Yep, fully agree and what I've been trying (and failing :lol: ) to articulate. Bruno has been amazing for us in the role he currently has, restricting that or moving him deeper to accommodate Paqueta doesn't make too much sense to me as good a footballer as Paqueta is (not that I've watched him extensively, which I haven't). We could then change from 4-3-3 to another formation, but I don't see why we should alter the formation that has us in top 4 form post January just to fit him or another attacking midfielder in. If we want to compete in midfield in the games against the top 6 you need that destroyer; Liverpool have Fabinho, Man City have Rodri, Spurs have Hojbjerg/Bissouma, Arsenal have Partey, Chelsea have Kante. Man Utd are washed. No idea who that could be as like I say its a medium term problem.

Striker and winger are far more important.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Broja on loan with an option to buy with the main chunk of the budget going on a RW would be good business. Haven't watched or know too much about Broja but him pushing Wilson or coming in when Wilson gets injured would be good. Diaby in pls.

I'm still on board with their stated intentions of increased, but not extravagant, spending and deliberate growth. £70-80m a window, in today's player valuations, is reasonable for the measured rebuild Mehrdad and Mandy have been preaching. If the extent of our business this window was another striker I'd be well happy tbh

I get a sense that the club are far more astute in terms of the 'NUFC tax' now than, say, in January. They'll be briefing the FFP/tight purse strings whilst they plan behind the scenes 

6 minutes ago, thomas said:

I'm still on board with their stated intentions of increased, but not extravagant, spending and deliberate growth. £70-80m a window, in today's player valuations, is reasonable for the measured rebuild Mehrdad and Mandy have been preaching. If the extent of our business this window was another striker I'd be well happy tbh

Exactly. The biggest fear for me is that a significant proportion of our fanbase lose their shit and kick off because their own ridiculous expectations of what they want aren't met. You know the type, throwing tantrums (probably on twitter) because the new owners haven't addressed all of the issues with 2 windows. Slagging them off despite spending an unheard of amount of investment at the club. 

What they've done so far has been magnificent, they've transformed the team by spending over £100m so far, lifted the fans' morale, ensured that the ground is sold out for every match, started upgrading the training facilities, boosted the profile of the women's team, looking into extending the ground etc. 

But Billy Daftcunt from Wallsend is booting off and moaning like fuck on twitter because they've only bought 5 players when he wanted 8. Only spent £85m when he thought £140m was needed. A sizeable section of our fanbase need to grow the fuck up and appreciate that it's going to take time and won't happen in a year. 

43 minutes ago, James said:

Sonny Perkins, 18 years old, played three times for West Ham has left them for an unknown club having rejected Hammer’s contract offer.

Leeds, Villa and now spurs all linked with him. No mention or us yet with Leeds supposed to be the destination but spurs trying to hijack the move. (According to the press)

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Always thought he struggled athletically personally. Nice player, neat and tidy with good passing range but we’d basically be blowing our budget on almost replicating Shelvey. Not seeing what others are seeing on this one. What am I missing?

Honestly Shelvey under Eddie has been better than Tielemans has been this season. 

Tielemans is a better player but they do have alot of the same weaknesses.