More transfer rumours

midds

2 hours ago, LFEE said:

Which is my concern. Still having flashbacks of Liverpool running through our midfield with our players trailing in their wake.  Definitely need a different type of midfielder IMO.

Whilst I understand this sentiment, we are still a few years away from our seasons being defined by how well we do against Liverpool and Man City. Our chronic lack of goals, is much more of a pressing issue against the other 17 teams in the league, than buying someone to help make us more solid against the 2 teams that will finish miles ahead of everyone else

41 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We’ve had a poor window if Fraser or Almiron are our first choice winger next season. They both offer almost nothing to the side 

I'd agree with you in relation to Almiron as he's had a fair crack of the whip while here, he's played alot of games but doesn't seem to have improved his numbers. 

Fraser on the other hand is not in the same boat. He's had injuries that have kept him out the team for long periods and whilst that isn't something you want I think he's proven he can do it in the Premier Leage over the course of a full season (Bournemouth 18/19) 7goals and 14 assists. Almiron has never had even close to those kind of figures in 3 and half seasons. 

I wouldn't be happy with either starting as RW but I would accept it if other positions (ST,CM possibly) were filled with appropriate quality of players.

Hand on heart, I think any player would be doing them themselves a disservice to go to Arsenal above us these days.

Aside from the fact they're a London club, they're not more or less a springboard than us these days.

3 hours ago, jack j said:

Fair enough being under a budget  but struggle to see why we are spending 10? Million on a keeper and 30 odd on a centre half...I'd say there was at least 2 or mebbes 3 positions I'd rather have spent the cash than them 2 positions.

That's a bit of a short sighted way of looking at it though. Those two signings make us immediately stronger, and when you get the chance to sign top players you have to do it. I'd be amazed if we don't bring in some upgrades in forward positions as well before the window closes, budget or no budget.

17 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Hand on heart, I think any player would be doing them themselves a disservice to go to Arsenal above us these days.

Aside from the fact they're a London club, they're not more or less a springboard than us these days.

If we're competiting with Arsenal just show the player the video of Kolasinac and the other player being attacked in their car. London is not all its cracked up to be.

26 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

I'd agree with you in relation to Almiron as he's had a fair crack of the whip while here, he's played alot of games but doesn't seem to have improved his numbers. 

Fraser on the other hand is not in the same boat. He's had injuries that have kept him out the team for long periods and whilst that isn't something you want I think he's proven he can do it in the Premier Leage over the course of a full season (Bournemouth 18/19) 7goals and 14 assists. Almiron has never had even close to those kind of figures in 3 and half seasons. 

I wouldn't be happy with either starting as RW but I would accept it if other positions (ST,CM possibly) were filled with appropriate quality of players.

Fraser's been with us for two seasons and barely done anything. If you put that down to injuries then I'd say someone who has a terrible injury record over two seasons isn't someone you want to be relying on. It's the same argument as needing an alternative for Wilson, and his fitness record for us is better if anything.

2 hours ago, midds said:

Exactly. The biggest fear for me is that a significant proportion of our fanbase lose their shit and kick off because their own ridiculous expectations of what they want aren't met. You know the type, throwing tantrums (probably on twitter) because the new owners haven't addressed all of the issues with 2 windows. Slagging them off despite spending an unheard of amount of investment at the club. 

What they've done so far has been magnificent, they've transformed the team by spending over £100m so far, lifted the fans' morale, ensured that the ground is sold out for every match, started upgrading the training facilities, boosted the profile of the women's team, looking into extending the ground etc. 

But Billy Daftcunt from Wallsend is booting off and moaning like fuck on twitter because they've only bought 5 players when he wanted 8. Only spent £85m when he thought £140m was needed. A sizeable section of our fanbase need to grow the fuck up and appreciate that it's going to take time and won't happen in a year. 

Billy Daftcunt :lol:

1 hour ago, toon25 said:

We’ve been good for about 4 months of the past decade. Let’s see if we can manage to go a calendar year without embarrassing ourselves before suggesting we’re a bigger draw than a team we haven’t finished above of for 25 years.

Edited by Bompeter

2 hours ago, toon25 said:

The issue is Arsenal have a 60k stadium.

Once St James is extended above that number we are officially a bigger club than Arsenal.

Big clubs aren't just based on stadium size but it will silence their main claim. Nobody cares that they won a prem 18 years ago except themselves. So a bigger stadium would seal the deal imo.

4 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Didn't listen to it myself, but a summary from Jacobs:

If Arsenal bid for Tielemans he'll go there but if they don't, us and Man United have made enquiries.

The Ekitike deal is dead. We've walked away due to agent demands 

Howe made it clear that he didn't want to add any more than three or four, plus Targett.

He thinks the budget is felixble and he wouldn't be suprised if it was anywhere between £100 million and £150 million.

He'd like to see us sign Paqueta or Osimhen.

A Broja loan deal would well work for both clubs, but the player may want a permanent move.

Eriksen is waiting to see what Man United do.

Diaby is available for a base fee of £35 million to £40 million (£50 million to £55 million with add ons), but there's been no progress as we're looking for a striker first. He think Leverkusen will sell Diaby this transfer window and PSG are big fans too.

We aren't in a rush to sign a winger  we'll only go into the market for the right player at the right price.

As a LW under Howe, Fraser scored one and got two assists in 529 minutes, most of which can't have had Wilson on the pitch. Full strength for us now is Wilson, Bruno, and Trippier, who never appeared together last season. Put those parts out there, and perhaps there is a useful wide player in Fraser and a useful AM in Willock.

Howe is originally a manager known for attacking play, but has probably been distracted so far by defensive disorganization and inadequate fitness issues. Now we are not conceding goals left right and center (we did get the Premier League calendar year record in 2021!), we may/should get to see a more Bournemouth-like Eddie Howe.

19 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Haidara over Tielemens? No way. I like Haidara a lot but he’s several levels in quality below Youri imo. 

Probably more defensive minded which is ideally what we need 

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

This is where Joelinton being a starter becomes a problem. He’s neither a DM or an AM. If we get someone like Tielemans, we probably are short defensively in midfielder. If we sign Haidara or similar, it’s all on Bruno to provide the creativity and keep scoring goals.

Perfect world we need both types.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

11 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

He’s not an out and out dm though nor is he any more defensive minded than Tielemans is. I do agree though that a defensive cm would be nice but Haidara is far from that.

I think when you have 3 players in midfield, it's not necessarily an issue if you don't have a specific defensive midfielder. Especially if you have 3 players in there who are multi skilled; Tielmans/Bruno/Joelinton for example wouldn't be in any way a defensively inept midfield 3 even though you wouldn't describe any of them as a DM.