More transfer rumours

midds

25 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Bruno  Joelinton

Diaby      Paqueta     ASM

Wilson

:pedro:

Do think, if it's one of the two, I'd prefer Diaby. I'd be more happy with Willock AM than I would Fraser/Almiron on the right. Fraser more so because I think he wont avoid niggling injuries. 

Also, youve got to be thinking Howe is going to be building with 4411 in mind surely? Given his history with it and his previous statements surely we have to be buying with that in mind? We're all looking for new players to fit 433 but I'd imagine that wouldn't be the long game.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

9 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Maybe. RW is still and has always been pri one for me.

It is a priority, I've said a few times that those two are the two positions we are weakest. I don't see upgraded the wing alone as helping us dominate possession as much as upgrading that midfield role.

Just now, madras said:

It is a priority, I've said a few times that those two are the two positions we are weakest. I don't see upgraded the wing alone as helping us dominate possession as much as upgrading that midfield role.

But will a Diaby type make us score more goals? Goals win you points.

1 minute ago, nufc123 said:

He has to have the ball in the first place to make more goals. Both positions are priorities and both are key to us taking the next step up.  

I guess it also depends how Howe wants to transition us. If we're going to carry on largely being a counter-pressing team who break on sides and dominates set pieces, a winger will be a priority. If we're going to change our approach to become a side who is better at keeping the ball, we'll need a midfielder.

7 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Paqueta is quite creative as well, he'll open gaps for Brunos passing and more possession totally changes our game.

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

He has to have the ball in the first place to make more goals. Both positions are priorities and both are key to us taking the next step up.  

He would. Almiron and Murphy had plenty of opportunities. Bruno/Shelvey/Trippier will make things happen. As said we need both, but we need more goals. Think ive said mine here for now.

2 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

He would. Almiron and Murphy had plenty of opportunities. Bruno/Shelvey/Trippier will make things happen. As said we need both, but we need more goals. Think ive said mine here for now.

Think I have as well. Heres to hopefully getting players to improve both.

Saying that I think Willock is worth persevering with to develop.

Edited by madras

Why everyone arguing about what position Bruno will play, what position Paqueta will take up, whether Big Joe will be a pivot or go box to box? None of that is important.

Just put them on the pitch and say "Lets play".

16 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

As sexy as that looks, I don't think Joelinton would work in a double pivot.

He really relies on the 4-3-3 system. From memory when we have switched to 4-2-3-1 mid game he tended to get put out wide so I think Howe is in agreement on that.

I don't see RW as a priority.

We have Murphy, Fraser and Almiron all of whom could play there. Are they top 6 standard? No, but they all offer something different and graft for the team. It's good enough for another season. You could even add Joelinton to that list.

A CM could transform us from a counter attacking team to one that keeps possession and controls games. 

As someone else has said, it also allows us to stay strong in that department should Bruno get injured or suspended.

If it was a straight choice, I'd want Pacueta over Diaby.

Just now, buzz said:

He really relies on the 4-3-3 system. From memory when we have switched to 4-2-3-1 mid game he tended to get put out wide so I think Howe is in agreement on that.

Not o ly that but could Maxi do the defensive work needed should Joe be pulled over a bit, even then Wood done a fair bit of it last season.

1 minute ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

I don't see RW as a priority.

We have Murphy, Fraser and Almiron all of whom could play there. Are they top 6 standard? No, but they all offer something different and graft for the team. It's good enough for another season. You could even add Joelinton to that list.

A CM could transform us from a counter attacking team to one that keeps possession and controls games. 

As someone else has said, it also allows us to stay strong in that department should Bruno get injured or suspended.

If it was a straight choice, I'd want Pacueta over Diaby.

Just as well (by all accounts) the club don’t see it the way you do

Just now, nufc123 said:

I disagree with you, but you're right time to move on and just see what happens with the rest of the window.

3 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

What makes you think that, just out of curiosity? He tends to win most of his duals on the edge of his own box...

He's been played as a ball-winning number eight who has excelled at disrupting the opposition high up the pitch, allowing us to break on sides. While he needs to improve his output in the final third, his powerful off the ball-running is great at creating space for us too.

Looking at how much he improved last season, he's earned an opportunity to continue his upwards trajectory this season, but playing him in defensive midfield would nullify a lot of his strengths.

3 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

Double pivot ffs, new fangald bollocks for two hard working central midfielders who do the lot. Cover each other, one goes the other stays, pretty simple really.

Sorry old school here.

Double penetra......I mean pivot usually has a 3 in front of it. I do hanker back to the days of two old school do it all centre mids like.

My difficulty when talking about positions is that I’m not sure we know what Howe has in mind. What he used last season might have just been the best he could do with what he had. At Bournemouth I understand he played a version of 442 a lot, with a bit of 343 as well. 

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Lyon would be mad not to hold out until the World Cup.

Well they've already put a price on his sale so it's not like they are locked in on him staying.

25 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

Double pivot ffs, new fangald bollocks for two hard working central midfielders who do the lot. Cover each other, one goes the other stays, pretty simple really.

Sorry old school here.

Glad it wasn't just me then. Not a fucking scooby what it meant

Edited by jack j