More transfer rumours

midds

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

That's why we need 3 players, a quality CM to allow our midfield to take control of games, supply the wings, whilst also getting a fair amount of assists and goals. A quality right winger, because the players we have there are just not good enough. And finally a centre forward of a decent level of quality (either young or established), as unfortunately you cannot rely on Wilson to be fit for even much more than half the season, never mind the majority of it. I'm pretty confident we will get players for all 3 positions. Time will tell though if we actually do.

That's just basically saying we need good players in each position.

We have to find the best way to get to that position and we may have to take it step by step and can't get everything we want all at once. Nowt wrong with fans discussing hopefully realistic hypothetical though.

24 minutes ago, madras said:

That's just basically saying we need good players in each position.

We have to find the best way to get to that position and we may have to take it step by step and can't get everything we want all at once. Nowt wrong with fans discussing hopefully realistic hypothetical though.

We do need good players in each position to go to the next level.

Thing is though people are listening too much to bullshit clickbait reporters reporting about a 'limited budget' and taking it as a given. It's obvious that the owners are going to portray this for reporting purposes, to be able to play their best hand possible. It was the same in January when the reporters were reporting a 'limited budget', yet we would have spent over 120 million if Etitke had signed. 

We have got more than enough scope within FFP and a number of forthcoming sponsorship deals will be coming in. They are damned right to insist on any deal will be on their terms, but I have no doubt that players availability will become easier as the window develops (as it always does during the Summer window).

Edited by et tu brute

4 hours ago, buzz said:

May as well have just kept Bruce eh?

It's pretty simple really, our manager will give them the instructions within the overall structure and tactics. As the two players sitting in central midfield those instructions will be very in depth. You can call them pivots, double pivot or other assorted bollocks. They're central midfielders imo, who defend, attack when they can, build play and hold the team together. 

Our manager is clearly superb, and those instructions and tactics given will be something Bruce could only dream of giving out/or creating.

Or i reckon we should have kept Bruce, aye that would be it :fool:

Pretty confident we will sign a mid, winger and forward. No idea who we end up with though. I'd be pretty much happy with most linked. 

If we lose Paqueta to Arsenal we might end up with Tielmans. It's possible they see Asensio playing through the middle not out wide too. There are plenty of other names we have been linked to and probably more on our list that aren't public.

Upfront the Broja links are strong but if we have the money and budget space I'm sure they will pull the trigger on a DCL or a bigger striker with higher potential, if the deal is right. Most would be happy with gabigol, who seems to be pleading for us to get him. We are obviously thinking better.

CHO would be a savvy addition on loan to buy.

If we get 3 more players of the quality of those brought in we are well on the way, regardless of who they are. The biggest luxury to look forward to is that adding key pieces to improve the squad will be an every window thing going forward. Likely not in huge numbers but a couple of players most windows of high quality and potential will likely always be coming through.

Enjoy the ride and every rumour!

I clearly think we will all be surprised at how much we spend this summer. I would go as far as to say we will get Diaby, Paqueta and a back up striker.

If the PIF is willing to spend a rumoured 2 billion to get the LIV golf tournament running and accepted, they already have a likeable team that is 100-150m players short of being a top six team.

The trigger will be pulled , I am sure of it.

Patience is a virtuye, eh Mehdrad?

We don’t really know what PIF plan for us. It’s only Amanda and Mehrdad that have ever said anything.

I don’t think we will get all 3 mentioned and it seems to me that we’re doing more of a slow build with an eye to FFP given we havent got new sponsors yet. 

10 hours ago, midds said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd like as many quality players in the squad as possible and if Paqueta becomes available and the money is there then I'd love to see him in a black and white shirt. Same goes for Diaby. But I'll not lose my shit and moan like fuck if Almiron, Fraser, Shelvey and Longstaff are playing because Paqueta and Diaby were unaffordable. It's a gradual process we're embarking on here and it'll take a few years before we have strength in depth in all positions :thup:

Get your point, I would however say that if we end up still relying on Fraser, Almiron etc, then it would have made much more sense to not spend big on Botman and instead use it for a RW.

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Get your point, I would however say that if we end up still relying on Fraser, Almiron etc, then it would have made much more sense to not spend big on Botman and instead use it for a RW.

I don't agree, Lascelles & Clark were such utter liabilities last season that they needed pushing as far down the pecking order as possible, they were costing us basically a goal a game minimum due to a rick or just general poor positioning etc.

Fraser and Almiron (and S Longstaff) might have been very patchy with their form but they weren't impacting us negatively anywhere near as those two at the back were.

2 minutes ago, Pilko said:

I don't agree, Lascelles & Clark were such utter liabilities last season that they needed pushing as far down the pecking order as possible, they were costing us basically a goal a game minimum due to a rick or just general poor positioning etc.

Fraser and Almiron (and S Longstaff) might have been very patchy with their form but they weren't impacting us negatively anywhere near as those two at the back were.

No but I was talking on the starting 11, having Burn and Schar starting is stronger than any of Fraser, Almiron or Murphy.

Having any of them effects more than just the RW, trams can afford to double up on Maxi because they know there is no danger on the other side 

Edited by SUPERTOON

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

No but I was talking on the starting 11, having Burn and Schar starting is stronger than any of Fraser, Almiron or Murphy

See your point but consider an entire season of 40+ games. Without Botman you're only a Schar injury or suspension away from one of those clownshoes lads at the back, and let's face it, he loves an injury or a suspension. We more or less didn't win a game until Lascelles and Clark were banished (and yes, I'm aware the new signings and bedding in period of Howe were major factors too)

I'd much rather Fraser or Miggy made 20-30 starts than either of those two make 10 starts at the back, put it that way.

No but I was talking on the starting 11, having Burn and Schar starting is stronger than any of Fraser, Almiron or Murphy

Not sure on that mind. Both have a brain fart in them. Think we needed one centre back a level or two above them. As long as we have ASM and Wilson in form/fit, and an upgrade in either CM or AM, I reckon we can get away with another season of Fraser or Almiron first choice. Similar to what Albrighton was to Leicester when they had Vardy & Mahrez maybe?

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Not sure on that mind. Both have a brain fart in them. Think we needed one centre back a level or two above them. As long as we have ASM and Wilson in form/fit, and an upgrade in either CM or AM, I reckon we can get away with another season of Fraser or Almiron first choice. Similar to what Albrighton was to Leicester when they had Vardy & Mahrez maybe?

Good point, obviously the main issue with that is keeping Wilson fit for most of the season, fingers crossed being managed properly under Howe can achieve that.

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

If player we go for the price tag seems to be an issue

In fairness, Brentford supposedly want 50 million for Toney and Everton a similar price, I’ve got no issue whatsoever with the club not wanting to pay that 

In fairness, Brentford supposedly want 50 million for Toney and Everton a similar price, I’ve got no issue whatsoever with the club not wanting to pay that 

Yeah, we already have Wilson who’s better than DCL and just as injury prone.

Man City look fearsome especially with Haaland replacing Jesus and Phillips replacing Fernandinho, with Grealish already Sterling's replacement. 

Liverpool are now without Mane who was first choice and integral to how they play, Diaz is his replacement but perhaps not as prolific. Nunez replaces Firmino and Jota. Salah is staying so they will be thereabouts but are prone to a risky transition season, especially as last year they almost peaked at aiming for the quadruple.

Chelsea seem disjointed, will be a transitory season. Ditto Man U.

Spurs under Conte will be challenging due to their attack which will be in its peak in terms of age plus the defensive solidity he brings to teams. All depends on his temperament. 

Arsenals youngsters will be a year older and more experienced. The Partey thing has potential to derail them and they still seem light on depth. If Jesus is injured there's only Nketiah.

West Ham punched above their weight last two seasons, with only Antonio up front. Without addressing that I see them finishing much lower. 

Newcastle without any further changes i see them perhaps top ten, given the team still lacks goals (and last season's siege mentality will not be quite as intense). A Broja or back up striker will move them to 9th. A Diaby will get them to 8th. And a Pacqueta on top of that will get them top 7 and maybe even push 6th, barring injuries. 

Yeah of course but add in paqueta, diaby and others where it’s been said the price is too high. It’s almost as if there’s a budget 

35 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Man City look fearsome especially with Haaland replacing Jesus and Phillips replacing Fernandinho, with Grealish already Sterling's replacement. 

Liverpool are now without Mane who was first choice and integral to how they play, Diaz is his replacement but perhaps not as prolific. Nunez replaces Firmino and Jota. Salah is staying so they will be thereabouts but are prone to a risky transition season, especially as last year they almost peaked at aiming for the quadruple.

Chelsea seem disjointed, will be a transitory season. Ditto Man U.

Spurs under Conte will be challenging due to their attack which will be in its peak in terms of age plus the defensive solidity he brings to teams. All depends on his temperament. 

Arsenals youngsters will be a year older and more experienced. The Partey thing has potential to derail them and they still seem light on depth. If Jesus is injured there's only Nketiah.

West Ham punched above their weight last two seasons, with only Antonio up front. Without addressing that I see them finishing much lower. 

Newcastle without any further changes i see them perhaps top ten, given the team still lacks goals (and last season's siege mentality will not be quite as intense). A Broja or back up striker will move them to 9th. A Diaby will get them to 8th. And a Pacqueta on top of that will get them top 7 and maybe even push 6th, barring injuries. 

Great assessment