Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

On 29/05/2022 at 02:31, Happinesstan said:

Could have a role to play next season. If we're winning comfortably, bringing him on to protect Wilson, or a new signing, would be a sensible move. Getting rid means we need two new forwards which might push the budget too far. Dunno. Until I see signings I'm sticking with evolution, not revolution.

I agree

On 29/05/2022 at 11:28, PeepShow4life said:

Don't see the point in keeping him if he blatantly isn't good enough. Would rather give a kid a chance as third choice striker or stick Joelinton up front.

Hopefully we will sign a winger who can cover up front too.

You haven’t watched Joelinton up front,have you? When Wilson was injured more than he was fit,before Wood arrived,he was the laughing stock of english football when playing as a central striker.

1 hour ago, Hanshithispantz said:

So was Wood tbf.

Yes, but Wood is a full time target man. He has no suitability for any other position. At least Joelinton was clearly playing out of position up front and has found his niche in midfield. Wood seems like a lovely bloke, but he's about as much use as an ash tray on a motorbike to the club right now.

Many thanks for your efforts, please enjoy the memories of a special seaon and the many thousands of pounds in wages you've been paid. I hope you find the right club at the right level, but it isn't this one.

So long and thanks for all the, erm, something...

1 minute ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

Yes, but Wood is a full time target man. He has no suitability for any other position. At least Joelinton was clearly playing out of position up front and has found his niche in midfield. Wood seems like a lovely bloke, but he's about as much use as an ash tray on a motorbike to the club right now.

Many thanks for your efforts, please enjoy the memories of a special seaon and the many thousands of pounds in wages you've been paid. I hope you find the right club at the right level, but it isn't this one.

So long and thanks for all the, erm, something...

Aye that's what I mean. You could probably replace Wood with Joelinton in desperate situations. There's no real need to keep him on unless we only sign Ekitike

Given the contract he'll be on, I can't imagine him going anywhere this Summer... Unless we subsidise the deal so much we virtually pay another club to take him.

46 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Not saying we will, but I would be looking to offload him (I know we would take a massive hit). 

Unfortunately, players (like everything else in life) are only worth what they are worth, irrespective of what you paid for them. With Wood, it's likely a £12.5m loss for the club. In isolation, that's a failure in the market but in the context of alongside Trippier, Bruno and Targett and survival, overall, writing him off is not the end of the world. 

Guest neesy111
6 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

Unfortunately, players (like everything else in life) are only worth what they are worth, irrespective of what you paid for them. With Wood, it's likely a £12.5m loss for the club. In isolation, that's a failure in the market but in the context of alongside Trippier, Bruno and Targett and survival, overall, writing him off is not the end of the world. 

You win and lose sometimes with transfers.

1 hour ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

More like 15m if we'e lucky to get a Championship promotion chaser to part with 10m for him.

Edited by Beth

As crap as he's been, he fits the profile of a 3rd choice in his position. Not his fee, but we've lost loads on that whatever we do.

He won't moan on the bench, has tons of league experience, a good attitude and work ethic, part of a happy squad, has had few injuries in his career. Sure, we might get 10M from a promoted side or risk losing him for nowt later on, but if we do that then we need to find another third choice who ticks all those boxes.

There's also the chance that he improves on the last 6 months, if not in terms of goals then his hold up play. His game has never depended on pace, so I don't think he's necessarily on the decline already. A full pre-season and less pressure and I reckon it's plausible he can offer more off the bench when we need height.

The fewer changes we have to make, the better I reckon. We're on the right track and need evolution not revolution.

27 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

As crap as he's been, he fits the profile of a 3rd choice in his position. Not his fee, but we've lost loads on that whatever we do.

He won't moan on the bench, has tons of league experience, a good attitude and work ethic, part of a happy squad, has had few injuries in his career. Sure, we might get 10M from a promoted side or risk losing him for nowt later on, but if we do that then we need to find another third choice who ticks all those boxes.

There's also the chance that he improves on the last 6 months, if not in terms of goals then his hold up play. His game has never depended on pace, so I don't think he's necessarily on the decline already. A full pre-season and less pressure and I reckon it's plausible he can offer more off the bench when we need height.

The fewer changes we have to make, the better I reckon. We're on the right track and need evolution not revolution.

He isn't anywhere good enough, even for third choice. I assume Ekitike will end up as 3rd choice behind Wilson and a marquee CF signing. 

Edited by JumpersForGoalposts

28 minutes ago, elbee909 said:

Don't see us signing another forward if Ekitike goes through tbh

Free yourself from the ingrained pessimism of the Ashley era. No longer are we constrained to a squad consisting of 11 super average 'purples' backed up by a mish mash of contract misfits and failed youngsters. :cheesy:

We are now allowed to buy more than one player per position. Ekitike will likely be an excellent player, but at 19 can't be relied on to lead the line right away. Wilson is good, but is injured at least 50% of the time, so we need a new 1st choice striker. Ideally around 30 years of age and proven PL quality so they can help rear Ekitike into being their successor after they've fired us into to Europe.

6 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

Free yourself from the ingrained pessimism of the Ashley era. No longer are we constrained to a squad consisting of 11 super average 'purples' backed up by a mish mash of contract misfits and failed youngsters. :cheesy:

We are now allowed to buy more than one player per position. Ekitike will likely be an excellent player, but at 19 can't be relied on to lead the line right away. Wilson is good, but is injured at least 50% of the time, so we need a new 1st choice striker. Ideally around 30 years of age and proven PL quality so they can help rear Ekitike into being their successor after they've fired us into to Europe.

Man alive, i'd forgotten about the 'purple' label. Making me cringe now just thinking about it.

:help:

Edited by OoOGazOoO

3 hours ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

He isn't anywhere good enough, even for third choice. I assume Ekitike will end up as 3rd choice behind Wilson and a marquee CF signing. 

If that happens, then lovely, but from the noises coming out I'm not expecting us to sign someone good enough to push Wilson into 2nd choice. It sounds like the strategy is to have 3 forwards in the squad and greater attacking versatility in the middle of the pitch.

8 hours ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I'll welcome it, but I just don't see it with the need to address other areas and FFP squeezing things.

We won way more games with Wood in the team, whether he scored or not.

He's a welcome addition to the squad, brings something a little bit different to Wilson.

When we sign another forward he will still have a role to play, forwards out-muscling defenders brings other people into play.

Edited by Shelveys Hair

Guest neesy111
12 minutes ago, Shelveys Hair said:

We won way more games with Wood in the team, whether he scored or not.

He's a welcome addition to the squad, brings something a little bit different to Wilson.

When we sign another forward he will still have a role to play, forwards out-muscling defenders brings other people into play.

Nah, I'm not having that.

The reason we improved was because defensively and in midfield we are far stronger that allowed us to control games much.  Also it was noticeable once Wilson came back what we were missing.

His 1st touch is one of the worst I've ever seen from a PL footballer. 

We've gone far too sensitive since the takeover to not call any new signings to be shite where under Ashley we would.  We made a mistake at 25m fair enough just put it under the carpet and move on.

Edited by neesy111

43 minutes ago, elbee909 said:

I'll welcome it, but I just don't see it with the need to address other areas and FFP squeezing things.

Our need for a top half PL striker is priority number one. Ekitike is a fantastic talent, but not the answer for next year. He's the answer (and a great one) for a couple of years time. Our GK is decent. Our defence is OK (if we sign Targett). Our midfield sort of functions (in spite of our weak wingers). Yes, there is lots to do, but a proven CF is still priority one.

3 hours ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

Our need for a top half PL striker is priority number one. Ekitike is a fantastic talent, but not the answer for next year. He's the answer (and a great one) for a couple of years time. Our GK is decent. Our defence is OK (if we sign Targett). Our midfield sort of functions (in spite of our weak wingers). Yes, there is lots to do, but a proven CF is still priority one.

Wilson is a proven CF. He's struggled with injuries under Bruce but I expect he'll be much more reliable next season.

I’m sure he’d do a job in the championship and there will be plenty of clubs looking for a striker. Even if we can’t sell him, send him out on loan and maybe he’ll do well enough that we can sell him next year.

It can’t be doing his confidence any good playing like he has been for the past few months and I can’t see him improving.