Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

He can't play in our new system.  Needs to be back to goal or just not involved much other than flick ons and holding the ball up.  

He did us a huge solid and played a massive part in us staying up, but the sooner he moves on the better it will be for everyone.

He really was this shit for Burnley last season too btw. I know nobody wants to acknowledge that because he KEPT US UP ON HIS OWN INIT but I will never believe we couldn’t have signed someone better for half as much 

5 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

I’ve often seen him do something really smart in a game and thought that was great! Then on closer inspection realised it was someone else.

Willocks goal away at Brentford I was standing up applauding his assist.

13 hours ago, HTT II said:

I think he was a big factor in us staying up last season and I don’t want to go in hard on him, but he needs to be 3rd or 4th choice this season, he was so out of his depth and looked way off in terms of fitness and general link up play.

Was he though? In isolation his two goals gained us 4 extra points, but even without those we would have stayed up comfortably anyway. In hindsight we should've just kept the £25M and played Dwight Gayle (or anyone else) instead.

13 hours ago, Shearergol said:

He really was this shit for Burnley last season too btw. I know nobody wants to acknowledge that because he KEPT US UP ON HIS OWN INIT but I will never believe we couldn’t have signed someone better for half as much 

You can't get them all right. This one has to go down as an absolute minger of a deal, but I guess it was desperation time, and the mitigating circumstances were we had no DOF.

I feel bad for him because he does graft and I think he wants to do well, but as others have said he is so stiff, his touch seems terrible and he generally has been poor at the things he should be good at.

also my defence of him previously has been that we don’t play to his strengths, for example crossing the ball in as you could argue his aerial ability is his best strength. However, last night and against Everton he has had clear headers close to goal and both times essentially passed it to the keeper, so it’s hard to use that excuse any more as even the clear heading chances we create for him, he generally misses. 

Wood often looks like he doesn't really want the ball. When it comes to him, he often seems a bit half-hearted and unconfident about what he's trying to do. 

His general ability is limited, but he doesn't always look like he's making the most of what he's got.

36 minutes ago, TRon said:

You can't get them all right. This one has to go down as an absolute minger of a deal, but I guess it was desperation time, and the mitigating circumstances were we had no DOF.

I’m certain a proper setup will prevent these deals in the future. Hope so anyway 

Last night’s game was a tough watch re Wood, I think the excitement of a high-paced close match against good opponents, and European night game feel, was the last straw/has made me run out patience with him. Really hope I am wrong, but just can’t see him being an asset for where are now or where we want to be at the end of this season. 

I should add that my first favourite Newcastle player was Alan Gowling, so it’s not that I can’t appreciate a less skilful, more workman like, centre forward. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

I still had my hopes up for him. I thought that maybe when the relegation-pressure is off and summer with Howe would bring out the "double figures" striker from him. He would be decent back up for Wilson then.  But no, another weak header straight to the keeper last night told me that sadly, it will never happen for him here. He played a part for us staying up, but thats it. Hopefully we can sign a young and hungry stiker to a back up for Wilson and Wood can be the 3rd option (if we cant sell him)

Didn’t Howe say something about how useful he’d be from set pieces and how we’d need to be getting goals from them last season? I’m sure he said something along those lines, makes sense to because our general attacking phase play was dogshit up until Wilson came back. Wood really was a stop gap desperate buy that we made because we had to and probably aimed to get best out of him at set plays goal wise, make no mistake though he played his part with his all round play. Just can’t believe how weak he looks with his head, when he joined I pictured bullet headers from this lad and he just looks nowhere near. 

He’ll have a part to play again this season but I’m not sure how he fits into this side now and the direction Howe seems to be taking our attacking play. 

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

I’m certain a proper setup will prevent these deals in the future. Hope so anyway 

Man City, Chelsea etc. have all wasted millions like. We’ll almost certainly have some duds along the way.

I suppose the only thing that makes this deal different is how obvious it was that Wood was garbage before we signed him. Whoever thought signing him was a good idea needs to be well away from future deals.