Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

1 minute ago, Paully said:

Good luck to him and I echo the thoughts of the chaps who thanked him for last season!

We were DESPERATE for a centre-forward and he provided us with a focal point and we weakened a then relegation rival who ended up going down! 

A vital equaliser at Southampton and the winner vs Wolves!

He played a part in the crucial first chapter of our glorious new era!

This. Good luck Chris! :indi:

Just now, PauloGeordio said:

We don’t necessarily need a striker replacement, Burnley did and didn’t want to sell. Release clause (ridiculous sum, was triggered) 

I’m pretty certain they were happy to accept given his goal scoring record that season.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

He's served his purpose, played a role in us staying up comfortably from a position of genuinely deep shit. Nowt but the best from me.

Yep, happy for him, happy for us. Hope he sends Everton down by keeping forest up 

It's not so much getting a striker in. Having 3 out and out centre forwards is always a bit much in the era of 1 striker systems. Wood was redundant once we got Isak. only the timing of that signing and his injury has kept him around this long.

A wide player or attacking midfielder can gives us more impetus/flexibility than having Wood on the bench. And ideally could be an emergency option upfront. I really hope this is the thinking.

6 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

It's not so much getting a striker in. Having 3 out and out centre forwards is always a bit much in the era of 1 striker systems. Wood was redundant once we got Isak. only the timing of that signing and his injury has kept him around this long.

A wide player or attacking midfielder can gives us more impetus/flexibility than having Wood on the bench. And ideally could be an emergency option upfront. I really hope this is the thinking.

I'd take this, or a first-choice CM who'll go straight into the team and have Joelinton as starting CM/3rd choice striker. If Joelinton needs to play up front we just bring in Longstaff or Willock or whoever's lost his place in CM.

6 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Aye, this is pretty much it.

I'd love two signings this window. A CM and then a winger who can play up front in a pinch.

Joelinton would be perfectly fine as a third choice CF too. Only thing is I think we lose something in CM with him out and with Wilson's issues our third striker is more likely to play than most clubs' third CF.

16 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

If we weakened Burnley, have Forest now weakened us?

When we took Wood from Burnley he was an automatic pick for their first team and an essential part of Dyche's game plan of hitting long balls and set pieces towards one or both of the dynamic duo of Chris Wood and Ashley Barnes.  So yes, that disrupted them.

Wood is our third choice striker, so losing him hasn't weakened us.

I'm generally of the opinion that Wood is so bad that we basically lose nothing by letting him go, tbh. I accept his use last season because we were such a desperate and sinking side. At that point just the fundamental tactical structure his signing gave us (an actual CF in the XI, allowing Maxi to go back wide) was worth it.

However I think we've evolved enough as a team now to not need him in the side and individually he actually makes us worse when he plays. Sounds harsh as he grafts but it's true IMO.

If this allows us to get some cash back it's a good move. If it allows us to roll the dice at another more flexible option then it's a sensational move.

9 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Def a plan behind this (either a striker or midfield). Its just nice being able to trust competent people 

Hoping for both. Ritchie and Fraser might be next and will free up spaces. If anyone will have them though.

7 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Should clear up £100k a week from the books…

I'm imagine forest will pay a portion of that, I think it more about freeing up the place in the squad. Good luck to the lad, nobody can say he didn't try, it just hasn't worked out for him.