Bruno Guimarães (c)

Fantail Breeze

4 minutes ago, madras said:

There are differing severities to it, you can run it off to a point. I done my ligaments years ago and the rest of my playing career had issues with going over like that, sometimes I could play on , others I couldn't.  That and the flat feet (diagnosed aged 50) are 2 of the 3 reasons why I never made it professionally.

What was number 3?

One of the bad bad calls Howe has made. ? ok. The doctors checked him twice. He played on. when you do your ankle that way sometimes you’re able to carry on. It’s the severity of the injury that really shows itself later. He was weeping later because he knew he was hurt and couldn’t carry on. Fucking hell man. 

3 minutes ago, Kanji said:

One of the bad bad calls Howe has made. ? ok. The doctors checked him twice. He played on. when you do your ankle that way sometimes you’re able to carry on. It’s the severity of the injury that really shows itself later. He was weeping later because he knew he was hurt and couldn’t carry on. Fucking hell man. 

Glad you're so sure of the reason. I also think it was a mistake for a couple of reasons. He was ineffective and it's risky since they didn't know the grade of the sprain. Sounds like things are being presented as positive to the press and that's great news.

11 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Howe himself said afterwards it was a mistake.  And I'm pretty sure the chief sponge-bearer who checked him isn't a doctor.

It is actually possible to criticise a manager without going overboard or calling for his head.  We're not in a cult.

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Howe himself said afterwards it was a mistake.  And I'm pretty sure the chief sponge-bearer who checked him isn't a doctor.

It is actually possible to criticise a manager without going overboard or calling for his head.  We're not in a cult.

I agree. Howe indicated he leans on how the player is feeling and I'm fine with that. Bruno said he could continue. Once you realize after 8 minutes or so he's clearly hobbled he should come off.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and I am not tearing into Eddie. I'm not trying to make a big deal of it, just that it was indeed a mistake in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, NWMag said:

I thought he hobbled for a few minutes after continuing but then looked to be moving freely again, it was only when it approached half time I noticed it was still an issue

I never thought he looked comfortable but it's totally subjective so I can see both sides. I didn't see him dribbling, just passing off but again, I could be wrong on that. Just what I recall.

5 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

the sponge bearer is a physiotherapist who radios the doctor and they speak to Howe. 

8 hours ago, Alberto2005 said:

I thought he looked fucked pretty much the whole time after, I was a little surprised he could even pass it but you could see him wincing everytime he did.

Yeah, I think in practice if a player can't run the injury off fairly quickly then it's not going to happen at all. If movement is still impaired after 5 minutes, the player should be subbed.

The minute it happened I thought he'd snapped it. Was amazed he carried on but you could tell it wasn't going to last. 

Howe's said he relies heavily on the player's self-referral (like Starmer's Lab apparently) but, in this case he should've hooked him. 

Bit of hard words with the players needed imho. If ya fucked hold ya hand up and come off. 

Bruno's eagerness to please jeopardising his career imho. 

6 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

The minute it happened I thought he'd snapped it. Was amazed he carried on but you could tell it wasn't going to last. 

Howe's said he relies heavily on the player's self-referral (like Starmer's Lab apparently) but, in this case he should've hooked him. 

Bit of hard words with the players needed imho. If ya fucked hold ya hand up and come off. 

Bruno's eagerness to please jeopardising his career imho. 

Jeopardising his career? Slightly OTT

Hell’s teeth. The player wanted to carry on. If he had been completely fucked of course he would have come off. 

He’d have been hoping it would start to ease and it may well have done. It didn’t and that’s it. 

Bruno definitely run it off a few minutes initially and looked ok again then he started struggling again.

Don’t recall EH saying he made a mistake just that it was a difficult decision as the player wanted to continue and ideally he’d get to HT to access it calmly and a player knows his body better than anyone else. If it was a concussion he would’ve took the decision out of the player’s hands was what I recall him saying.

41 minutes ago, NWMag said:

Jeopardising his career? Slightly OTT

37 minutes ago, LV said:

Hell’s teeth. The player wanted to carry on. If he had been completely fucked of course he would have come off. 

He’d have been hoping it would start to ease and it may well have done. It didn’t and that’s it. 

Ha, perhaps I should've said "in an extreme case, potentially" ?

Obvs I'm a fanny because I can barely bring myself to watch the replays of his ankle. Always a bit woozy about things like that tbh. I just think with this squad and the eagerness they'll all have to play. Even thru pain they need a bit of restraint. 

Bless the gorgeous emotional bloke tho but. Crying as he left the pitch shows what it means to him. He's like that Knight from The Holy Grail. I do think he was foolish trying to carry on and DID risk long term damage. 

Not everyone's an England's Michael Owen, thank fuck

Edited by Groundhog63