Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

Bruno is an amazing player and a fantastic presence in the team.  The energy he gives everyone around him is incredibly important and his willingness to take personal responsibility is an example to every other member of the squad.

But ...  Has giving him the captains armband put too much weight on his shoulders?  I wonder whether he's feeling the responsibility of captain too heavily and that his game is suffering as a result.  Over many decades over many sports, I've witnessed world-class sportsmen crumble under the weight of captaincy.  Some players, when made captain, feel like the responsibility is all theirs to lift the team, to find the goal, to make the tackle, to get the win.  This grinds them down as they spend all their time in the head, trying to work out what they and the team need to do differently, and they lose their natural game.  I wonder if this is what has happened to Bruno - the sense of responsibility he has, for wearing the captain's armband, is stopping him playing his natural, instinctive game.

Bruno is not a DM and away from home or under the kosh, we need one. Bruno plus two eights is too weak. Joelinton lost Smith Rowe, who's good, twice, which did cost us one and nearly cost us two.

To play without a DM, you need high intensity, which long term may be asking too much of the players.

We had 61% possession yesterday in the first half, so the problem was not losing the ball, even though we didn't create much. The problem was being easily cut open and gifting them opportunities they were skilled enough to take.

Absolute shocker with that pass at the end. Not really been on it so far. 

I’ve been guilty in the past of thinking he’s had a bad game. Only for it to be like a 7 or 8/10 and just a bit below his usual standard when you watch the highlights back. But I don’t think that’s been the case this season. 

It’s hard to single him out. As bar HARVEY Barnes. Who has been consistently good? Been loads of inconsistent performances week to week, individual errors and disjointed performances as a team.

It’s certainly a concern that our big name, big money players like Isak, Gordon and Bruno have all been well below their best. I feel like we’re still at a point where they can drag others up to their level and when they’re not performing. The team won’t be as a consequence. 

Worrying (N-O™️)

Edited by Lush Vlad

Love Bruno, he's by far our best footballer.

But I've always said, he's not an athlete in my opinion. Technically amazing with great vision but he plays far too deep to really effect the game right now.

More worryingly as he's out last protection to the defence he's often bypassed and chasing back, but lacks the pace to get back in shape.

He's been piss poor all season but genuinely think he needs to be released to play his natural game with someone else sitting as a six, wether thats Tonali, Longstaff or someone else. He should be higher up the pitch. If it were me now. I'd play Longstaff as a designated 6. Tonali and Bruno as a double in the middle, both are box to box and can hold possession.

Oe play 5 at the back - Tonali and Bruno in the middle with Hall and Livra as WB's. Then play Isak, Barnes and Gordon as a fluid 3.

Pope

Schar                        

Kraft                                  Kelly/Burn                     

Livra                                                                                                                  Hall

Bruno                               Tonali

Gordon                      Isak                              Barnes

Fuck knows....probably last nights beer talking :)

3 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Love Bruno, he's by far our best footballer.

But I've always said, he's not an athlete in my opinion. Technically amazing with great vision but he plays far too deep to really effect the game right now.

More worryingly as he's out last protection to the defence he's often bypassed and chasing back, but lacks the pace to get back in shape.

He's been piss poor all season but genuinely think he needs to be released to play his natural game with someone else sitting as a six, wether thats Tonali, Longstaff or someone else. He should be higher up the pitch. If it were me now. I'd play Longstaff as a designated 6. Tonali and Bruno as a double in the middle, both are box to box and can hold possession.

Oe play 5 at the back - Tonali and Bruno in the middle with Hall and Livra as WB's. Then play Isak, Barnes and Gordon as a fluid 3.

Pope

Schar                        

Kraft                                  Kelly/Burn                     

Livra                                                                                                                  Hall

Bruno                               Tonali

Gordon                      Isak                              Barnes

Fuck knows....probably last nights beer talking :)

Subliminal message? New number 6 needed 🤔

Screenshot_20240922_103307.thumb.jpg.8d8040001dab7753b87ff49280cbf0dc.jpg

Bruno's been fouled now 22 times. He's runaway leader in the league. Second is Gordon with 17. Half as many as Bruno, fouled 11 times, gets you joint sixth in the league. These are exceptionally high numbers.

So it's clear both these players are either being targeted or are playing for fouls. If they are being targeted, we need to get in the ref's face. We need a better captain.

As a team we've been fouled more than anyone and twice as many times as Liverpool, but our opponents have received one more yellow card (19 vs. 18). One more card for 40 more fouls against us.

10 hours ago, Stottie said:

Bruno's been fouled now 22 times. He's runaway leader in the league. Second is Gordon with 17. Half as many as Bruno, fouled 11 times, gets you joint sixth in the league. These are exceptionally high numbers.

So it's clear both these players are either being targeted or are playing for fouls. If they are being targeted, we need to get in the ref's face. We need a better captain.

As a team we've been fouled more than anyone and twice as many times as Liverpool, but our opponents have received one more yellow card (19 vs. 18). One more card for 40 more fouls against us.

Really takes us out of any rhythm. 

✍️ “Howe thought everything was going swimmingly until he noticed a lump, two days later he was in the operating theatre going under the 🔪.”

🧩 “It was at that moment he looked out the window and saw his wife was locked in an embrace with Matt Targett 💔. He tried to get up but under anaesthetic 💉 he wasn’t steady on his feet and tripped through the window 😡.”

🏥 “He landed on top of his star player Bruno Guimaraes and broke both his legs and arms ️ . Is this the end for Howe? Was he right to abandon training to get the lump checked? Should Tindall have done more to take the strain off Howe and should Amanda have spoken up sooner about the fact she’s a blood relative of 16th century witch 🧙‍♀️ Merga Bien⁉️

5 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Longstaff can’t play 6.  He can’t get on the ball and progress it. Bad under pressure. A modern 6 needs to be able to play and progress under pressure.  

Longstaff would play as the advanced midfielder in a central role. He's not got the skill of Bruno, but I guess he might be played for his defensive recovery.

I don't read enough sports news for my opinion to have evolved sufficiently but I feel like once upon a time he was decent? Or was it just he always hated the club and back then his views and my own were in alignment?

Someone said they thought Bruno looked a bit burnt out and I agree. He's played a lot of football but he also has had so much responsibility in our team in that period too. We've relied on him massively to do a fuck load of defensive work, and take on a fairly massive mantle in build up, possession, and being creative too. It's no surprise he's covering the distances he does.

Let's hope we can introduce Sandro now to take some more of that burden from him.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

Think Bruno is catching a frankly ridiculous amount of criticism from fans and Hopes. He's carried dead weight in the midfield for a year plus now. Tonali was supposed to ease the pressure, but there doesn't seem too much interest in that pairing at the moment.

Far too easy for oppositions to target Bruno in the midfield when his two colleagues in the midfield can't punish teams with an incisive pass, or taking on their man.

19 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Think Bruno is catching a frankly ridiculous amount of criticism from fans and Hopes. He's carried dead weight in the midfield for a year plus now. Tonali was supposed to ease the pressure, but there doesn't seem too much interest in that pairing at the moment.

Far too easy for oppositions to target Bruno in the midfield when his two colleagues in the midfield can't punish teams with an incisive pass, or taking on their man.

There's some truth in this. He seems to have to turn away from 3-4 challenges at time due to lack of an out ball. Not just in the goal he gave away, which was just careless, but happens too often in central areas as well. We need more players with his ability to shield the ball and carry it into space.

He has definitely been overdoing it on occasion this season when he's had easier passes. I can't be too annoyed watching a player try something different though when everything else is so laboured (Barnes aside). He's also usually very good at it but his body looks a second behind his brain, at the moment.