Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

12 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

This is literally the first thing he did in a Newcastle shirt

Can anyone paste the URL for the above - it won't load up for me for some reason inline. 

25 minutes ago, Davey_C_73 said:

Am I the only one who thought he doesn't look quite ready? In possession he looked fantastic, but out of possession he looked like he wasn't sure where to be. I think until he's had a few training sessions with the rest of the team and understand s positionally where he fits in I reckon he'll just be introduced to games with cameos.

I thought he looked brilliant out of possession. I watched him closely as soon as he came on and he was in perfect positions to break up play, which is exactly what he did immediately and then released another player with his subsequent pass.

Im v excited to see more of him 

34 minutes ago, Davey_C_73 said:

Am I the only one who thought he doesn't look quite ready? In possession he looked fantastic, but out of possession he looked like he wasn't sure where to be. I think until he's had a few training sessions with the rest of the team and understand s positionally where he fits in I reckon he'll just be introduced to games with cameos.

Eh were you pissed ?

Makes me wonder - do they have a translator for him on the sidelines? I imagine Beeg Jow being his translator anytime else.

His confidence is great to see, though. Good management too, to bring him on when we are leading comfortably and Everton were already blowing out their arses. It's a very "Man City" thing to do and great to see from us, given that we hardly have the luxury to do so. Ease him into matches and get him used to the different energy of the league.

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

It's a real conundrum trying to figure out where to put him. We've all become accustomed to Joe's strengths following his revival, meanwhile Willock is improving and presses really well and - in theory - is one of our best chances of a goal in a team that doesn't score much.

Of the three, Shelvey is the weakest performer but I feel like he's the only one in the squad who really plays that quarter-back role. If last night is anything to go by, you'd only be getting 75% out of Bruno by putting him there. 

Despite his contributions I am dying to see Shelvey upgraded upon, but I don't think Bruno is that upgrade. 

Really dunno, but it looks like the added competition is already making a difference to the existing centre-backs and centre-mids, and both Bruno and Burn are going to have to fight for their places. 

It really isn't I don't think. 

Shelvey has performed better under Howe than Willock has. Bruno will come in for Willock.

You do not bring in a player with his ability on the ball, and ability to thread a killer pass and having him sitting as the deepest defensive midfielder.

Willock can be a midfield option off the bench later in games to take advantage of tired legs with his running ability.

I just think taking Willock out when he's finally coming back into some form is potentially denying us a critical source of goals. It's sad because I love him but I think it needs to be Joe who drops out, particularly if Bruno has a similar ability to tackle and intercept. 

9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

It really isn't I don't think. 

Shelvey has performed better under Howe than Willock has. Bruno will come in for Willock.

You do not bring in a player with his ability on the ball, and ability to thread a killer pass and having him sitting as the deepest defensive midfielder.

Willock can be a midfield option off the bench later in games to take advantage of tired legs with his running ability.

While I agree Willock is a great option off the bench, I think it's easy to underestimate the work he does in pressing the opposition even in the first 45 mins when he's not looking so great on the ball. He's not the liability people think he is, and he stretches the opposition with his runs when we have the ball as well.

Just now, ManDoon said:

I’d bin Shelvey. It’s forgotten because we won, but he nearly got sent off last night, and it was his stupidity that cost us the first goal. He then had to disappear more. Bruno can still have some forward license. Play him in a double pivot 

Would agree, as Joelinton also covers back pretty well, but I am happy enough for Shelvey to start instead of Willock for now, but as the season goes on I would expect Willock to take over. You just can't ignore the extra running power and goal threat Willock brings to the table.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

While I agree Willock is a great option off the bench, I think it's easy to underestimate the work he does in pressing the opposition even in the first 45 mins when he's not looking so great on the ball. He's not the liability people think he is, and he stretches the opposition with his runs when we have the ball as well.

Sorry, but I am not putting Bruno in a deeper midfield position to accommodate Joe Willock, not a chance in hell.

We need Bruno to be a midfielder that has the freedom to dictate play and initiate more of our attacks higher up the pitch, not to be sat in front of our defence, so Joe Willock can play.

I'd also bin Shelvey, IF we had another midfielder who could play the deepest.

I just think Bruno will be wasted being our deepest midfielder. 

So that means it's down to Joelinton or Willock. It's a really tough decision and I actually don't know who I would rather see dropped out of the two. 

I think I'll just trust Howe's decision on this. The one thing we all know for sure is that he HAS to start, Maxi, Bruno and Tripps have to be the first 3 names on the team sheet.

Just now, Jackie Broon said:

The weight on his through balls is so perfect, it almost looks like they have back spin on them the way they split the defence then suddenly slow for the attacking player to run onto.

The Brazilian guy on here said Bruno has a talent of knowing exactly the right weight to put on a pass depending on which player he is passing to. 

He was on the pitch for 6 minutes and we've already seen that talent. 

This guy will be world class.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Sorry, but I am not putting Bruno in a deeper midfield position to accommodate Joe Willock, not a chance in hell.

We need Bruno to be a midfielder that has the freedom to dictate play and initiate more of our attacks higher up the pitch, not to be sat in front of our defence, so Joe Willock can play.

I can understand the thought process, but really think all our midfielders are capable of working box to box bar Shelvey. He was great yesterday for the first 20 mins then he flagged visibly. But will be interesting to watch how the team develops over the next few weeks. The good thing about both Bruno and Joelinton, is their mobility sort of covers for Shelvey's lack of it, so his weakness is not so apparent.

3 hours ago, Alberto2005 said:

Can't see it personally, Howe said post match the reason he didn't start all the new signings was because he likes to reward players for good performances.

I know Shelvey wasn't that great last night but in Howe's eyes I can't see him getting dropped after a win like that but I hope I'm wrong.

looked as though Shelvey was the first player he spoke to at the end of the game last night. Could be a sign that Howe wants to keep his spirits up for when he's dropped next game.

2 hours ago, polkaDot said:

this work?

I like how you're using CAPTT (it's an Athletico twitter).

Btw, the post says, 1 ball won, 1 trough pass and almost an assist.

Poll result: Simple pass (that's our fans voting [emoji38])

2 hours ago, Joey47 said:

The Brazilian guy on here said Bruno has a talent of knowing exactly the right weight to put on a pass depending on which player he is passing to. 

He was on the pitch for 6 minutes and we've already seen that talent. 

This guy will be world class.

I did say so. 

Being honest, amazed how good he was in 6 minutes, even tho Everton were dead already.

Yesterday was a magical game for NUFC

Edited by JNK

I still don’t think he’ll start against Villa. Think Howe won’t want to drop any of Shelvey, Willock or Jow yet unless they are injured. 

Think Bruno might get a longer time on the pitch against Villa but he may have to play his way in or wait for an injury/ suspension to get a starting berth.

Im not saying I agree with that mind but I can see why Howe would do it. 

Edited by LV

Gives us an alternative way of getting Maxi into the game, in a more direct manner. So far we've seen what Maxi can do with the ball to his feet, and the defence in front of him. Running onto through balls, with the defence chasing him brings a whole new element to his end product. Don't blame the lad for trying to score last night, he deserved a goal and the game was won, but he had 3 players in the box to aim for which will reap dividends in the future, if he continues with his better decision making.