Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

I think he may consider Joelinton wide again. Did well there against Brentford and even had the odd ‘ok’ game under Bruce wide. Well, by his old standards, at least. 

Would mean dropping Fraser, mind. I just don’t see him or Shelvey making way. Willock should start IMO. Shelvey is the obvious one to be left out. But I don’t think that will happen. 

2 hours ago, ToonScotman said:

I don’t see why Joe Willock should be dropped when he is just starting to recapture his form. I think we all know shelvey should be dropped but there’s a chance he drops big JL as he had an ongoing injury but would be sad to see big JL lose his place. What’s weird is by putting Bruno in for any of those 3 it won’t weaken us it’ll firmly improve us which is hard to get the head around but his time will come.

So Willock is re-capturing his form because he no longer looks awful? What has he actually really done of note in the last couple of games that Bruno wouldn't do infinitely better. Willock is the one that should drop out and will drop out. He is young enough to continue to play sparingly going forward and improve on his game for now.

I'm not too sure or even bothered if he starts against Villa, but if he doesn't I think he will get more of a run out this time (maybe come on after 60-65 mins) or earlier in reaction to the game (goal, injury etc).

He's going to be a mainstay for us and it wont be too long before he claims his regular place.

1 hour ago, DMLeazesender said:

I'm not too sure or even bothered if he starts against Villa, but if he doesn't I think he will get more of a run out this time (maybe come on after 60-65 mins) or earlier in reaction to the game (goal, injury etc).

He's going to be a mainstay for us and it wont be too long before he claims his regular place.

Thing is, it's not like NUFC is up 10 points of relegation. They are not. Get the man into the lineup and get him playing with the first team in live action. It's not like they are 10 up at the top of the table either and can fuck around slowly blending guys into the team.

I remember when Bruce used to get pelters on here for "not changing a winning team." It was justified. I think both Shelvey and Willock have weaknesses, and I'd be okay with either one of them dropping to the bench, so we can start blooding Bruno into the lineup. We can always take him or someone else off around the 60-70min mark. I just want to see how Howe has envisaged Bruno slotting in, and how he wants to set the team up. If that's the long term goal, why wait? 

I just don't think Big Joe should be dropped, as he's been stellar under Howe. 

24 minutes ago, McDog said:

Thing is, it's not like NUFC is up 10 points of relegation. They are not. Get the man into the lineup and get him playing with the first team in live action. It's not like they are 10 up at the top of the table either and can fuck around slowly blending guys into the team.

We're not safe on paper but i'm not worried in the slightest. We are on the up and we have momentum. More importantly, we now have better players(£95m ffs!!) and the players we already had, have improved, the fans are up for it and SJP is bouncing. I also have total confidence in Eddie Howe, who I have always rated highly. Performances have improved massively since he took over.

That's why I'm not concerned about rushing in Bruno - everything is heading in the right direction.  He's just another bomb to drop on the Premier League [emoji38]

6 hours ago, KaKa said:

So Willock is re-capturing his form because he no longer looks awful? What has he actually really done of note in the last couple of games that Bruno wouldn't do infinitely better. Willock is the one that should drop out and will drop out. He is young enough to continue to play sparingly going forward and improve on his game for now.

Agreed. Don’t really get this Willock love. He has looked better than previously, but in what way has he made himself undroppable? Seriously, he’s been nothing special. 

Just now, Flip said:

Agreed. Don’t really get this Willock love. He has looked better than previously, but in what way has he made himself undroppable? Seriously, he’s been nothing special. 

agree, I was surprised to read some thinking he was MOM, not for me like.

4 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Shelvey anchoring with the Brazilians either side of him is our best option I reckon. 

Think Bruno is wasted in the Shelvey role. 

Just leaves you relying on ASM, Fraser & Wood to score the goals. Don’t think we need both Shelvey & Joelinton. Willock for one of them further advanced and it increases our goal threat. Could have scored in each of the last two.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Villa have very mobile midfield options and Ramsay makes some great runs in behind. I think Bruno needs to start and there’s an argument to leave either Willock or Shelvey out. Personally, I’d leave Willock out but Shelvey is going to have to work his socks off again. 

If I were Villa I’d attack down our left side, we’ll miss Targett. We’ve a few days to prepare and get Bruno ready for his role. 

Very keen to see Joelinton in the 6, now, the more I see of him deeper the more I think he could do it really well. Still plenty of pressing and tackling to be done there, and allows Bruno to be played in his best position and as close to ASM as is possible.

Willock simply cannot be dropped if he keeps up a level similar to what he showed second half on Tuesday. The goals will come.

If Joelinton literally didn’t fall to pieces in the box then I’d probably go with Shelvey over Willock too. Just feel over 16 games if you play Willock and he plays the way he has particularly second half of the Leeds & Everton games, he’s capable of a few goals that will help save us. Don’t see Joelinton or Shelvey doing that.

I think the larger question is actually in terms of system. How much protection is Shelvey giving to the defence? I don’t think it’s much personally and this we could consider shifting from o 4-2-3-1. With Bruno and Joelinton being the double pivot and Wilock playing as a the AM. 

Watching Villa last night and the two main threats from midfield are coutinho and ramsey, we all know that shelvey tends to run five yards with his marker and then stop, falter or foul...

It is a very clear choice for me, SHELVEY OUT... BRUNO IN!

We need willock for the ground he covers and he would be a great foil for a more forward thinking passer like Bruno

I do agree that Shelvey is the obvious one to lose his place for Bruno to come in and the fact that Villa have a much more mobile and energetic midfield than Everton should suggest that we need Bruno in there.

It all depends on Howe and if he feels Bruno is capable of fitting straight into the team and way he wants to play. Ideally you would have Bruno as a straight swap for Shelvey and have him playing as the deepest lying midfielder with Joelinton and Willock ahead.

Those suggesting it should be one of Shelvey, Joelinton or Willock dropped for Bruno are missing that Willock isn't playing in the same position as the others.

He's much more advanced. You drop him, someone has to play further forward.

Bruno has been bought specifically to strengthen our central midfield, so it's not him.

Shelvey can't run, so it's not him

When Joelinton shoots, it's more likely to hit himself in the face than the back of the net so it isn't him either.

Willock plays, for me. He's the one you want on the end of Bruno's through passes, not the other two. Can you imagine Shelvey or Joelinton getting played through every match? Bruno will have an aneurysm by March watching Jonjo wading through treacle or Joelinton trip over his own feet each time.

Edited by Chris_R

14 minutes ago, Pardiola said:

Very keen to see Joelinton in the 6, now, the more I see of him deeper the more I think he could do it really well. Still plenty of pressing and tackling to be done there, and allows Bruno to be played in his best position and as close to ASM as is possible.

Yeah this is where I'm at too, his final form is a 6 imo. With licence to buzz around infront of the defence it would be pretty hard for the opposition to find space I would imagine, and if he's instructed to keep things simple I don't think he would be too wasteful in possession.

I’d defo start him as currently Villa have their own flair Brazilian in Coutinho (who is in good form too) that they want us to worry about whereas Bruno is an unknown quantity and will make their preparation on how to handle him difficult. 

32 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Those suggesting it should be one of Shelvey, Joelinton or Willock dropped for Bruno are missing that Willock isn't playing in the same position as the others.

He's much more advanced. You drop him, someone has to play further forward.

Bruno has been bought specifically to strengthen our central midfield, so it's not him.

Shelvey can't run, so it's not him

When Joelinton shoots, it's more likely to hit himself in the face than the back of the net so it isn't him either.

Willock plays, for me. He's the one you want on the end of Bruno's through passes, not the other two. Can you imagine Shelvey or Joelinton getting played through every match? Bruno will have an aneurysm by March watching Jonjo wading through treacle or Joelinton trip over his own feet each time.

Aye much as I love big Joe, when he gets the ball at his feet in the box, he should have his own little car where the doors fall off, the wheels collapse and silly string comes out of his club crest 

We don´t need Joe to be scoring, just to continue the beast press he does and win every contested ball in the air and ground, making a few half decent passes along the way. Has a role which he is currently excelling at...

27 minutes ago, buzza said:

We don´t need Joe to be scoring, just to continue the beast press he does and win every contested ball in the air and ground, making a few half decent passes along the way. Has a role which he is currently excelling at...

This exactly , we just NEED the team settled and progressing, couldn’t give a shiny shite who scores as long as we nail 4th bottom .

This talk of need this player to score and need 8 points from next four , it’s bollocks man , just get over the line at the end of the season , only mission we have O0

Edited by GWN

1 hour ago, buzza said:

Spot on.

Willock has 0 goals for us this season, apart from that fantastic patch last season what makes him a must due to his goal scoring abilities? If anything Joelinton at least keeps getting himself into these positions almost every other game. Sure he’s missing them, but he’s getting there and maybe just maybe with some confidence he might score (or not :lol:That being said I don’t care who is dropped. But our midfield is bad, and despite two straight wins we just need to throw Bruno in there and get him adapted to this league as quickly as possible as that will give us a bigger chance to stay up.