Bruno Guimarães: £100M release clause has expired (Various)

Fantail Breeze

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Exactly. It will be the pair of them in midfield. 

Shelvey sitting deep, alongside Bruno who is more of an all action midfielder.

Think we'll then see Joelinton as the third man in there either as a deep striker/number 10, which is where Howe envisioned using him originally, or as an additional CM in a three as he has been playing.

If someone has told me over the summer that our starting midfield in Feb would feature Shelvey and Joelinton (!), I’d have assumed they were on some premium drugs. 

2 minutes ago, DJ_NUFC said:

If someone has told me over the summer that our starting midfield in Feb would feature Shelvey and Joelinton (!), I’d have assumed they were on some premium drugs. 

Been quite the turnaround :lol:

Just now, KaKa said:

Exactly. It will be the pair of them in midfield. 

Shelvey sitting deep, alongside Bruno who is more of an all action midfielder.

Think we'll then see Joelinton as the third man in there either as a deep striker/number 10, which is where Howe envisioned using him originally, or as an additional CM in a three as he has been playing.

Don't get the hate on here for Shelvey tbh, before Howe I can totally understand he was poor and looked disinterested and leggy. Since Howe has came he has been standout for me and putting on a shift and playing good football. He has been back to his best but still seems to get dogs abuse. Big Joe on the other hand has been praised for his form return and rightly so. I think Shelvey will continue to get better and won't do him any harm with more class and legs around him. I know he will never win most over especially on here but I Hope he keeps his spot on the team if he keeps playing like he has been.

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I think shelvey is still too slow on the ball and immobile and weak. 

Think Shelvey has been good this season. Just needs another proper midfielder beside him, which will open things up for him even more.

As long as we then also get some better centre backs in the team, it will all come together nicely.

He looks like the perfect Shelvey replacement. Wants to get on the ball a lot. Can pick a pass, looks to play it forward when he can.

However, unlike Shelvey. He can also carry the ball forward in possession, he makes tackles and just generally seems more mobile than a pissed up pensioner. 

It's not about Shelvey getting dogs abuse. It's just that he's so weak defensively and slow. He's a bit of a luxury player that doesn't make it worth it as doesn't do enough offensively either. Good to see him playing better kow at least, and working as hard as he can. 

Just now, HWTL said:

Don't get the hate on here for Shelvey tbh, before Howe I can totally understand he was poor and looked disinterested and leggy. Since Howe has came he has been standout for me and putting on a shift and playing good football. He has been back to his best but still seems to get dogs abuse. Big Joe on the other hand has been praised for his form return and rightly so. I think Shelvey will continue to get better and won't do him any harm with more class and legs around him. I know he will never win most over especially on here but I Hope he keeps his spot on the team if he keeps playing like he has been.

People just don't like the guy, which is their right I guess.

I think he has really stepped up his game, and has been a really solid performer this season.

His mobility can sometimes be a weakness, but give him a better midfielder in alongside him that can really get up and down and more actively run the show, and Shelvey can then sit deep, switch play, and occasionally find killer balls from deeper areas when they're on, as well as shoot from distance when that's on also.

A better pair of centre backs will also do a better job of covering for him too. And that is something we appear to be looking to address as well.

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

It's not about Shelvey getting dogs abuse. It's just that he's so weak defensively and slow. He's a bit of a luxury player that doesn't make it worth it as doesn't do enough offensively either. Good to see him playing better kow at least, and working as hard as he can. 

I suppose we all have out opinions and that's football but in a 3 I would have him in there every game. Takes the ball under pressure and plays some class balls and I've always liked him when he is in good form but each to there own.

3 minutes ago, HWTL said:

He has been much improved under Howe. Especially his work rate and general effort.  But it’s not like he can drastically improve his speed or athleticism at this stage. It’s been an issue for his whole career 

He seems a hinderance, especially if Howe eventually wants to go back to a midfield two in the future. He’s just too static and slow on and off the ball. Always feels like the game slows down when he gets possession and he is chasing shadows when not. 

Still plenty of the hands on knees and watching players walk or pass round him. Not as much pointing, mind. 

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

Kaka, you make it sounds like he makes killer passes often, or that he has a good shot on him. 

He certainly has the ability to do both, and with a better players and a better functioning team we will see more of it IMO.

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

He has been much improved under Howe. Especially his work rate and general effort.  But it’s not like he can drastically improve his speed or athleticism at this stage. It’s been an issue for his whole career 

He seems a hinderance, especially if Howe eventually wants to go back to a midfield two in the future. He’s just too static and slow on and off the ball. Always feels like the game slows down when he gets possession and he is chasing shadows when not. 

Still plenty of the hands on knees and watching players walk or pass round him. Not as much pointing, mind. 

I agree with the 2 in midfield he isn't that type of player and won't be able to do the donkey work and help in attack but in a 3 I think he is perfect for ATM but form can change and as we have seen before so can his attitude but I like to give credit when it's due. 

Just now, KaKa said:

He certainly has the ability to do both, and with a better players and a better functioning team we will see more of it IMO.

Well, he can't do it often enough imo. 

Just now, KaKa said:

Hollywood passes from Shelvey to Zapata with Muller floating from the right, we all dream this week :lol:

7 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

He looks like the perfect Shelvey replacement. Wants to get on the ball a lot. Can pick a pass, looks to play it forward when he can.

However, unlike Shelvey. He can also carry the ball forward in possession, he makes tackles and just generally seems more mobile than a pissed up pensioner. 

He’s a shiftless cunt who knows this club is as good as it’s going to get for him from now on so he’s getting his finger out of his arse to avoid a transfer to QPR or Coventry. 

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I just don’t think he’s very good personally. 

Fair enough. I guess we'll see how it plays out the rest of the season now.

Getting Bruno in will be the key cog and then the rest can be built around him depending on who is putting in the performances.

6 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Fair enough. I guess we'll see how it plays out the rest of the season now.

Getting Bruno in will be the key cog and then the rest can be built around him depending on who is putting in the performances.

Ill step up and say that I am probably one of the most overcritical when it comes to Shelvey. And its rough cause he has gone between pretty solid at the start of Howe, to good old passenger Shelvey, then against Leeds suddenly spruced up again. I dont get it, and I dont have the biggest faith with him sitting in front of our defenders, but with Joelinton and Bruno G's work ethics around him, this might be a big change for him until we can peddle him in the summer.