Dan Burn

Rich

3 minutes ago, Amir_9 said:

He's great but didn't have good games against Spurs and Man City away which leads me to think he'll do for the next step of our progress but maybe not a starter for the one after.

Spot on.Against most teams we don’t have one midfield player,and I’m including Almiron and ASM,who look anything like a player who can add solidity when we need to defend.The main reason I believe why our defence can get over run.

22 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I keep saying it, we badly need a quick, powerful ball playing CB which would allow us to play higher up the pitch and whoever our full backs are them too. I’d prefer it if we didn’t start next season with Schar and Burn as a pair, although it would be more than acceptable. The defender I've talked about or rather that type of defender would improve us in the way Wilson does over Wood.

Aye. Badly need some pace and real strength in the defence. 

In a good team where the onus is really on attacking, Schar has the potential to get you a goal every six or seven games imo. His record even now is only just less than one in ten. I'd keep him in the team for that alone. He's also great on the ball and generally just a better all round player than Burn, who I like, but I think is a bit rash. 

1 hour ago, tomlynnherrington said:

I cannot remember the last time we had a player who put the shits up opposition defenders more than  BDB when he goes up for corners and free kicks.Let’s not underestimate this part of his game.Forcing opposition keepers to kick long,which really isn’t a hard thing to do,simply plays into the hands (head) of BDB.The last time I saw such a will to win in central defence was probably Peter Jackson.I’d pick him over Schar and Lascelles every day of the week as a proper central defender.

That's weird, I have almost zero confidence in him scoring a goal when he goes up for corners or free kicks. He seems pretty feeble in the air for someone who's close to 7ft.

I had doubts about Schar being able to play in a 4 but he has proved he can do it over an extended period of games now, its Burn who I'd be dropping for a new CB

20 hours ago, Smal said:

Same. Burn has been good in most games but he's been a liability more often than Schar has.

I'd be happy enough with them both starting next season anyway to be honest. The defence has been sound and, apart from two drubbings from Spurs and City, we've not conceded more than one goal in any of the previous 19 games. We need to score more goals. That (and a left back) is where the budget needs to go this summer imo.

Apart from those drubbings we've had a brilliant defence. Obviously if we want to improve we need to do better against those big teams. It's easy to say we need to improve the defence, but the return of Wilson against Arsenal showed that we can control the game in the opposition half.

If replacing Burn is a priority,do we keep Manquillo,Krafth,Murphy,Lascelles,Gayle,Almiron and Willock for now? I cannot remember the last time I had such confidence in a central defender winning headers.He’s no Baresi,but we’re no AC Milan.
Small steps lads,small steps. Our defence isn’t bad when they’re all fit.Or midfield has too many weaknesses.We’re weak out wide.We have one striker good enough for where we’re looking to be in the near future.

9 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

If replacing Burn is a priority,do we keep Manquillo,Krafth,Murphy,Lascelles,Gayle,Almiron and Willock for now? I cannot remember the last time I had such confidence in a central defender winning headers.He’s no Baresi,but we’re no AC Milan.
Small steps lads,small steps. Our defence isn’t bad when they’re all fit.Or midfield has too many weaknesses.We’re weak out wide.We have one striker good enough for where we’re looking to be in the near future.

With a fully fit first eleven, as we are currently [less a LB], we're a definite top ten team. Start the season like that and introduce new levels of ability as the season progresses, and when appropriate, and we should push the top 6.

That would be my plan for the season

Just now, tomlynnherrington said:

A good plan but I think we’ll need three transfer windows before we can look to finish top 6 with confidence.I’m usually pessimistic when it comes to NUFC.Sorry .

I totally agree. But if we're pushing top 6 with a floor of tenth, that would be progress.

2 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

I totally agree. But if we're pushing top 6 with a floor of tenth, that would be progress.

It certainly would be.Comfortably around the 7th or 8th position this season would be quite satisfying with fewer games where we lose a grip in the second half.We need to be more solid defensively,especially in midfield, when we’re under pressure.

14 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

It certainly would be.Comfortably around the 7th or 8th position this season would be quite satisfying with fewer games where we lose a grip in the second half.We need to be more solid defensively,especially in midfield, when we’re under pressure.

I can see your point, especially if we read into Targett having not yet signed, and against the top teams I think it was proven to be true. And I guess we need to be improving against the top teams if we want to progress, so I'm all for it. 

But I have to say I can't imagine where we'd be if Wilson had been fit all season. Chelsea would have been in the rear mirror by the time Burn made his error. Same against Everton, where it was his determination to win a game that had been there for the taking for 90 mins, that led him to a rash decision. If we'd taken our chances in that game he would have kept his head in that moment.

Those two games shattered our illusions and we were broken going into the Spurs game.

Actually we were pretty solid against Liverpool and it was only Man City that really destroyed us at our best.

Edited by Happinesstan

31 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Moving the floor up is pretty important IMO, especially for next season. 

To look back a few months, it doesn’t matter if you have Wilson up front because you have Richie and Murphy at fullback and that is worth about 1.75 goals against. 

Without those glaring weaknesses, even ‘decent’ players like Shelvey and Fraser can start to contribute and not have to overturn stupid goals conceded. 

Guess it’s the same thing at the end of the day, just improve every player :lol:

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Moving the floor up is pretty important IMO, especially for next season. 

To look back a few months, it doesn’t matter if you have Wilson up front because you have Richie and Murphy at fullback and that is worth about 1.75 goals against. 

Without those glaring weaknesses, even ‘decent’ players like Shelvey and Fraser can start to contribute and not have to overturn stupid goals conceded. 

Guess it’s the same thing at the end of the day, just improve every player :lol:

It doesn't matter in those games but in the ones I mentioned, the ones that included the current defence that is in question, he would have made a difference to the incidents that leave us questioning our defence.

Of course, improve every player, but we can't improve them all this summer so we need to prioritise. I think more quality upfront is a higher prioriity than battening down the hatches in defence.

3 hours ago, tomlynnherrington said:

I don't think replacing Burn is a priority, and I doubt anyone else does either. But we will look to buy in the best central defenders around if they become available.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

I don't think replacing Burn is a priority, and I doubt anyone else does either. But we will look to buy in the best central defenders around if they become available.

My point is,we don’t have unlimited resources.Other positions need addressing urgently.Ideally we sign midfielders who can do a job for 90 minutes.It’s rare we find ourselves comfortable for the majority of a game.

8 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

My point is,we don’t have unlimited resources.Other positions need addressing urgently.Ideally we sign midfielders who can do a job for 90 minutes.It’s rare we find ourselves comfortable for the majority of a game.

So do you think we'll not bother going in for Botman this summer then?

28 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

Put a space after a full stop 

2 hours ago, TRon said:

Replacing him isn't a priority but it's the one position where we lack cover, so I think we'll certainly be buying a left footed CB. Botman is the name being thrown about and we've certainly retained our interest. If we can get a RW starter and back-up forward for a similar price [asssuming it's 30 mill] we'll have done a good job.

Of course if we go out and spend 200 mill this summer then a lot of decision making will be eliminated.

• 1 month later...