Dan Burn

Rich

5 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Think I would prefer us not to go three at the back.

me too. I think we should stick with what we're doing. If we beat or draw with Brighton I'd happily go with the same team against Man City. Give Burn and Schar the opportunity to show they're up to it, then 3 days later give Botman the chance to match them in the cup.

Man City play with almost 2 at the back at times, they strangle the midfield and control the games so their defenders are rarely needed to do anything.

I’m not suggesting we do play 3 at the back, only that it’s an option. Having Sven in the middle of Burn and Schar either side of him would be a formidable situation for any team to deal with, plus all 3 can pass well.

You just have a midfielder drop back to help when needed.

I support three at the back against Man City. No shame in gunning for a draw in those circumstances. Drop Willock, Saint Maximin or Almiron, I can see arguments for all. The best teams and managers in the world do adjust to the opposition sometimes, I'm satisfied that we set out to play 'our game' 95% of the time, it doesn't need to be 100%.

On 29/01/2022 at 18:53, UTASeagull said:

Brighton fan here. Dan Burn has just gotten better and better for us. He has played left of a centre-back trio, left wing back and left of a back two consistently well for us. That said, he is viewed as a back up to Dunk and Webster mostly, who are two superb centre halves so no shame there. 

He isn't the quickest, but uses his positioning superbly well and always gives himself a few yards. In the wrong environment against lightning fast players, he can be made to look very slow (Traore and a few others have given him nightmares at LWB) but this is quite uncommon.

He is surprisingly bad in the air. Whilst he wins defensive headers, his percentages aren't as good as they should be and the ball can end up going practically anywhere. Attacking corners is the same, often wins it and puts it into row Z.

He has improved tenfold since he joined and Potter really rates him. After a poor performance last season he was getting some stick, Potter said afterwards "anyone who doesn't think Dan Burn is a good defender doesn't know anything about football". 

As for the sale, I can see it happening, although I have no insider information, I am just a fan. His contract is up in June 2023.

The issue is the fee. Tony Bloom is, in my biased view, the shrewdest operator in the league and as a club - despite large losses - we have no need to sell unless a player forces a move. As shown with Ben White (we rejected £25m then £30m from Leeds before he'd even kicked a ball in the PL), he simply won't sell unless he gets his figure.

Bloom sets a figure and just outright declines every offer until that figure is met. It's as simple as that. In this case, he wants £15m it would appear, so you'll either be paying £15m or he won't move. It's just how the club operates.

Hope this was interesting/useful.

How did my scouting assessment turn out so far for you? Accurate or miles off? I thought he looked very solid at the weekend against us - along with the customary header from a corner into the stand!

Good luck for the rest of the season. 

Absolutely spot on, @UTASeagull. He played a huge part in our renaissance last season. He's got a mistake in him (TM) but on the whole he's been really solid and his leadership in the dressing room has clearly been hugely important, too. Not that we lacked leaders as such, just by all accounts he's another one and Howe has said himself that people look up to him (lol).

Guest HTT II
45 minutes ago, UTASeagull said:

How did my scouting assessment turn out so far for you? Accurate or miles off? I thought he looked very solid at the weekend against us - along with the customary header from a corner into the stand!

Good luck for the rest of the season. 

Pretty much spot on, if he had decent technique in terms of his heading, he’d be a top-class defender IMO. He’s deceptively quick too, or rather because he’s so tall he has big strides in his running so covers the ground well. He wins so man headers at either end, but it’s mainly a case of him just flinging his head at the ball from a leap, it can go anywhere. He’s a very good character, it’s obviously his boyhood team, and he’s getting a bit of a cult status here. He’s been an excellent signing thus far and a bargain IMO.

Edited by HTT II

He's been great, he's unlucky that he was second choice signing and we then went back to get the first choice. Sadly Botman could be our talisman for the next 10 years, so he has to come in sooner rather than later. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see Burn get a fair few games still, between CB, LB and back three. 

3 hours ago, Kanji said:

As good as burn was the fact we had no overlap at fullback was a huge problem in our attack. 

The last thing you want is an overlapping fullback with ASM in front of you.

1 He’s unlikely to pass to you.

2 He’s more than likely going to ‘use’ you then give the ball away with you out of position.

3 ASM won’t cover for you.

Edited by tomlynnherrington

What an unreal signing this guy was, btw. To just move to a completely different position and be just as assured and solid; so bloody impressive. Aye he's not perfect and prone to losing half a second on the very best attackers, but like fuck am I digging him out for that. Bloke was a steal at 13mill.

Weird thing to say on the back of two games against two excellent sides where he's played at LB.

Edit: and one game at CB where he was flawless.

Edited by Conjo